Pinned [ITALY SITUATION COVID-19]

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New

Aurich wrote:

That man is a moron, no wonder they cut him off. I guess it's a good thing he's retired.

I'm pretty sure he's not a moron. Unless you're going to pull a doctorate on me, I'm going to say he's way more qualified than you or I ever will be.

The problem is unless you choose your words very carefully, what you will only create is fear, uncertainty and doubt. Just a few posts up you have somebody telling the whole world he has guns at his home to ward off looters. I don't know, sounds to me like fear mongering perpetuated by the media. Meanwhile in the rest of the un-gun-toting world we're experiencing a shortage of toilet paper and some medicine. However, we could have avoided that too with better wording.

Aurich wrote:

Also, we don't know yet exactly how much more dangerous than the flu covid19 is yet, but it appears to be at least 10x, in terms of mortality rates.

That really depends on how you define dangerous. Looking up numbers from Italy, the average age of death is 80, and one in six of every person infected over 80 has died. Not trying to be an ass, but is someone really surprised that old people die? And before you pull the 'old people are people too' card, my dad's over 80. I know.

Anyway, the problem of course is there are a huge number of old people. The population is aging like never before. It's going to be a good wake up call for Europe and most of Asia. Way more money needs to be diverted in to the public health sector. Japan is doing moderately well because they've known this for a while. That's why it's business as usual there.

As for you in the US, well, from looking outside in you spend very little money on public health care. However, it's also the 'American way', everyone fending for themselves, so I don't know. People just get sick and stay at home?

Aurich wrote:

Nobody is celebrating any story traffic.

Somebody always is. Most likely whoever is making out your paycheck.

The post was edited 1 time, last by nem: Softening up my post ().

• New

UPDATE: Because of the new restriction imposed by Italian government, the CPS2 and Taito F3 Multis will be shipped to Saveyourgames after the 3rd of April. We'll keep you updated.
      * Arcade-projects, the site where you get the most of your arcade games.
      * If you want Drama go to Neo-Geo forum ---Darksoft
    • New

In Poland postal services are suspended buy couriers like UPS, DHL, Fedex, etc. they all work national and international.

In Italy, I'm pretty sure that all is suspended due to new restrictions in place since yesterday.
    • New

nem wrote:

I'm pretty sure he's not a moron. Unless you're going to pull a doctorate on me, I'm going to say he's way more qualified than you or I ever will be.
      I don't have a PhD. The people I work with who are covering the corona virus do. Part of being smart, in my opinion, is knowing when you don't know things, and should listen to the experts. I'm listening to them because they know more than I do.

Just as I bow to the superior arcade knowledge people have in this forum. When someone corrects me, or tells me something I didn't know, I'm grateful to have learned something. I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, or creating conflict here. Just trying to look out for people, this pandemic affects us all.

I read a story about how Japan, which was brought up earlier, might be experiencing a false sense of security right now. I really hope not, I hope Japan comes out looking healthy and great and wonders what the big deal was. I wish the best for all. But hopes and wishes aren't as good as being smart and taking precautions and being prepared.

There's something called the preparedness paradox. Y2K is a good example. When you raise the alarm about something, you plan, and you take care of things to avoid a problem, people think you were blowing it out of proportion. "Nothing happened, what were you so worried about?" Well, nothing happened because the plan worked. Y2K was a dud because people hustled to fix it. If they hadn't we would have seen more serious issues. No, airplanes would not have fallen out of the sky. I'm sure there were over sensationalist stories that implied that. And yet, it was a real issue, that needed real action. You have to not let the outliers tell the narrative.

CPZ - SAVEYOURGAMES wrote:

not but business must stay closed
      Be safe, my heart goes out to Italy, and I hope we don't follow you.
    • New

nem wrote:

Aurich wrote:

Also, we don't know yet exactly how much more dangerous than the flu covid19 is yet, but it appears to be at least 10x, in terms of mortality rates.
      That really depends on how you define dangerous.
      Yeah. The main difference that jumps out is the extra long incubation period where people don't feel sick, but are shedding the virus for a week or more before they realize it.
      -ud

Cab: Namco Exceleena 1
      Darksoft Multi: CPS2/3, F3, ST-V, NEO
      Scan Converter: Micomsoft XRGB2+, Silicon Optix ImageAnyplace
      Monitor: Amiga 1080, BenQ RL2460, Pioneer KRP-500M
    • New

The danger isn't that it's as crazy infectious as the measles (it's not) or as deadly as ebola (it's not), it's really just the novel part. The fact that we simply have no built in immunity, for humanity on the planet as a whole, means that the sheer numbers can just overwhelm our healthcare system. And I mean any system, not just the admittedly questionable aspects of what we have in the United States. Nobody anywhere is prepared for these kinds of numbers, they're unprecedented.

That's why trying to compare it to the flu, or the common cold, just doesn't hold up, and can lead to some really misleading conclusions.

If we can just hold out long enough to start building some herd immunity, and for a hopeful eventual vaccine, we'll be in entirely different territory. Sure, the flu kills people every year, but we don't have to panic about it. But we gotta get to the point where we can actually treat this like the flu, because right now we can't.

The self isolating is really terrible. It's hard, it's stressful, it's wrecking the economies and businesses around the world. If there was a better path we'd take it. But we just didn't act fast enough. China didn't contain it, and the rest of the world, for the most part, didn't respond as they needed to.

There are exceptions. Singapore for instance. But they're a strict society in many ways, and somewhat uniquely capable of that kind of response. South Korea is doing well, and testing a ton. They're probably the more realistic model for what should have happened in other places.
    • New

undamned wrote:

Yeah. The main difference that jumps out is the extra long incubation period where people don't feel sick, but are shedding the virus for a week or more before they realize it.
      -ud
      That is basically the problem. This is new for everyone. It's a very agressive virus and it spreads a lot thanks to people who don't feel sick at all, so when you notice what is really going on, it's too late :(
    • New

My neck of the woods, current positive cases, seem to be almost doubling each day, nothing like whats happening elsewhere but man, heed the warnings people. Also, these tests are taking around 5-8 days to get results, not the 24hrs they are advertising, that is bullshit. So these numbers are much much larger.

My very good friend is an anesthesiologist, she has been having to perform intubations on covid-19 patients. She says it extremely saddening because some of these patients wont make it, even on respirators, worse of all she knows they will most likely die alone with no loved ones by their side since they are basically isolated. The staff at her hospital in NYC is currently overwhelmed with Covid-19 cases.

Yet, fuckers around me are still chilling, hanging out, playing basketball, etc.

Wanted: Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, Deathsmiles, War of Aero
      13/14" TriSync Tube/Chassis, Vewlix Shipping Brackets
      If you have any of these for sale/trade let me know please and lets make a deal :thumbup:
    • New

I went out this morning for a coffee (takeaway) - I was standing 2m behind outside, another gentleman stood a similar distance behind me.

2 people were in the shop standing right next to each other and an inch away from the counter having a conversation.

People are still not understanding or reacting appropriately to this situation :(
    • New

Derick2k wrote:

Yet, fuckers around me are still chilling, hanging out, playing basketball, etc.

xodaraP wrote:

People are still not understanding or reacting appropriately to this situation
      I really and truly cannot understand this. It's been serious for weeks at the very minimum, depending on where you are, and people just keep ignoring reality. And the sacrifices right now are so paltry for many. Stay home as much as you can. Keep your distance. Wow, big deal. If everyone just worked together on this we'd be slashing the infection rates and buying really important time.

But no, dumbasses want to go to the beach. Once it's in your community and spreading it's too late, the point is to be smart ahead of time, not wait until it's coughing in your face.
    • New

Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Survival of the fittest including brains too. Natural population correction incoming.... ;)
      The "OK Boomer" generation is having a field day... until they get it too and there is nobody to wipe their asses or pay their bills.
      How soon everybody will come crying, and the swift finger-pointing takes place.

Saw the irony in the "spring breaker" regret article posted recently.
      nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flori…s-express-regret-n1168686
      Platinum-Status Multi-boi
      Bench : Fight sticks | House Hunting
      WANT : EPROMs, Taito F2 Rom Boards, TATE CRT or HD cab.
      [astrocity] InstaGram [neogeo] Arcade Projects Photoblog [saturn] VAPS List [nes-101] Tuesday Arcade Twitch Stream!
    • New

Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Survival of the fittest including brains too. Natural population correction incoming.... ;)
      As long as they don't take others with them in their fall...

psykom1 wrote:

The "OK Boomer" generation is having a field day... until they get it too and there is nobody to wipe their asses or pay their bills.How soon everybody will come crying, and the swift finger-pointing takes place.

Saw the irony in the "spring breaker" regret article posted recently.
      nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flori…s-express-regret-n1168686
      Are you that 'old'? ;)
      We should have a dedicated thread to talk about it but in some ways I understand the "OK boomer" posture.
      In my home country boomers had everything: high paid jobs without any qualification, full employment, cheap housing, early retirement, free health system and schools, etc... But now, because of their mistakes (everything for me whatever happens next I don't care, lack of plan) the new generation starting their adult life is really losing a lot in comparison: need to pay for some drugs, unis may stop to be free, high unemployment, low salaries, later retirement (5 to 7 years more than the boomers), etc.
      As for their lack of work culture, what do companies have to offer them today? They are perfectly aware they'll lose their jobs at the next crisis. But I'm not too worried for the future, mentalities will change, workplaces will adapt.
      Looking for:
      - Champion Wrestler (Taito)

"I'd 1cc games but I have a real life."
      01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • New

As usual we Brit's have excelled ourselves. The Government shut the schools last Friday and warned of a potential lock-down and what did everyone do...

Go to the pub, restaurant & clubs for a final Friday night binge and then went out as if it was a Bank-holiday on the Sat/Sun (some places had record attendances).
      Well I hope the lot of them catch it and leave the sensible ones (who stayed in binge watching Anime & playing videogames) uninfected.

FFS : When McDonalds said they were closing there were queues down the street for the drive-thru just so they could get a last Big Mac.

Now the only things open are Chemists & Supermarkets - and you guessed it people are stood around in the car parks chatting as the stores are limiting how many can be inside at a time.

Work are insisting on keeping a skeleton staff level on site so we can keep the website and servers running (loungeware sales are up 150% everything else is down about 80%). That also means they are keeping the warehouses open to receive/ship goods, which in turn means they need IT staff on site. They are paying lip-service to the government by only opening every other picking station and only having one person per bank of desks - therefore maintaining the >2M social distancing rule (everyone uses the same toilets & entry/exit turnstiles so go figure).... All our retail stores are closed most staff were on zero-hour contracts so they didn't allocate them shifts. All admin staff are either using Citrix access gateway or vpn to access systems remotely.

10% productivity bonus on offer if we keep up with customer orders.
    • New

penrhos wrote:

FFS : When McDonalds said they were closing there were queues down the street for the drive-thru just so they could get a last Big Mac.
      I heard the same thing happened in France. ||

Mankind is doomed!!!!! ;(
      Looking for:
      - Champion Wrestler (Taito)

"I'd 1cc games but I have a real life."
      01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • New

Apocalypse wrote:

penrhos wrote:

I heard the same thing happened in France. ||
      Mankind is doomed!!!!! ;(
      That Royale with Cheese!!!!!

Wanted: Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, Deathsmiles, War of Aero
      13/14" TriSync Tube/Chassis, Vewlix Shipping Brackets
      If you have any of these for sale/trade let me know please and lets make a deal :thumbup: