What's new
I think you can get your 4 roms from MAME, after launching your game and selecting each rom in RAM with an hex editor such as Winhex.
this sounds useful, please explain a little more :)
I launch the game with MAME, I let the game playing a bit then I pause (letter p).I open Winhex, then I go to Tools/File Tools/Unify Bytewise (8 bit) then I select snk880.11a and snk880.15a (first ones read in snk68 MAME driver), and I save the file as part1.bin (256 kB).
I open part1.bin with Winhex and I check in Tools/Open RAM : MAME (I use MAMEUI) if I find the beginning of the same block of 256 kB in Search/Find Hex Values.
I redo the same process with the other blocks.
Thanks!! Ill try it out :D. I have a couple of P.O.W bootleg boards with MASSIVE daughterboards in varying shape.. would be nice to replace them. Since atleast 1 of the games has some graphic glitches

The game plays *exactly* like the video in the first post (~ 1:50 ). the text is fine, the sound is fine, the controls are working but graphics are big blocks.

When I put the 4x27C400 burned with the interlaced MAME roms, the blocks simply have more colors (see above) but they are still not ok.

@Layer33: send me the 4 files @ mrhide at yahoo dot com and I'll compare them with what I have burned?

I'll try and answer TwistedSymphony pin questions today.

Thanks everyone for the efforts to help!
Sure, I have uploaded them there.

On POW single board, you can read the silk-screen printings ROM1 (4), ROM3 (3), ROM2 (6) and ROM4 (5).

Attachments

• pow_gfx2.rar
    549.2 KB · Views: 167
Thanks!

and what the hell ||

D:\roms\pow\out>fc 01.bin rom01.bin
Comparing files 01.bin and ROM01.BIN
FC: no differences encountered

Comparing files 02.bin and ROM02.BIN

Comparing files 03.bin and ROM03.BIN

Comparing files 04.bin and ROM04.BIN

edit: will dump the roms I've burned with the above 01,02,03,04 to make sure they are indeed burned as such

That means your roms were already OK, as in MAME memory region saved.

You should try rom01 (3), rom02 (4), rom03 (5) and rom04 (6) if the order stamped showed messed up sprites.

Last edited:
Bump to check if any more progress has been made here or if Hammy got bored and decided to dump his single board version. I have a single board without a daughterboard that I'd love to get working again.

@ Hammy where can I find these dumps so I can try it on mine since I gave up at the time? Much appreciated man

Yes, please post the dump if get the chance!

Thank you!!

the bad board sounds more like faulty buffers or address decoding than the roms

My board is fine AFAIK - just missing the ROM daughterboard. I also tried the ROMs MrHide was using to no avail. Would love to test the dump from Hammy to confirm whether or not something else is needed. Same problems he described.

Possible both of our boards are faulty, and thats why someone removed the daughterboards. Still,I suspect they are OK, and we just don't have the data arranged properly.

If the board is ok , you should get exactly as video #2.

Turns out i did not upload the roms public, only to another guy testing will do shortly.

If the board is ok , you should get exactly as video #2.

Turns out i did not upload the roms public, only to another guy testing will do shortly.

Yep, the video on my board is identical you what you show in video 2.

Looking forward to the upload!

IMAG0306[1].jpg

Attachments

• POW_MASKS.zip
    492.9 KB · Views: 104
Thank you sir.

there are differences with the files I had so erasing roms now, then burn and report back

Last edited:
Well no surprise there, it works :) thanks a lot Hammy!

.... and my board has other issues it seems. Like being stuck in test and a bit of grfx issue. But a whole lot better than big squares!

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

ugh. Always look at the manual and not google "pow dipswitch" cause it's missing the test switch! (dip swich 2, #8)

IMG_5514.jpg
IMG_5515.jpg

Good to see you are all up and running :)

@Hammy is that dump JPN, U.S. or WORLD version?
Any ver, the mask's don't change.

Typical GFX issue on this board,
Yup, ram area - maybe you will get lucky and it was a 157 bad like my one was.
Also check the basics, smashed together pins, bad lines etc etc...

Back