What's new

Atari FGC

Beginner
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me locate a missing part for a B board. I think it’s a generic part, just one of the white pin connectors that sits on top of the board, and to which you connect a multi kit. I’ve circled the spot of the missing part in red in the picture below, and circled the same part that wasn’t removed in blue.

The board when I acquired it (as a throw-in with an A board that has since been consolized) was a Progear conversion on a rev 7 board. At some point, whoever did the conversion likely removed the connector as I guess it wasn’t needed for Progear given there is nothing attached there. My intention was to install a multi kit, but without the white connector, that wasn’t possible. So now I’m hoping to revisit.

Any thoughts on where I might acquire this missing part?

0E431CF0-0174-4970-872A-CD403A1D2371.jpeg

I have a couple B board parts boards that could have a salvageable connector if you cant find a new one. You can have it, just pay shipping.

It's a monumental soldering job though to desolder and solder....

Thanks for both of your help! I’ll order one, and try to think about other stuff to order while I’m at it because the shipping is $20 on a $5 item :/

Unless @Anselmo, if it’s already removed from your parts board or not too much trouble to remove, if we can ship for less I’d love to go that route. $20 to shop a $5 part seemed a but much at digikey!

It's not off, but my Hakko will probably make quick work of it. Let me know if you need it. I feel you on the digikey orders, I normally wait till I get a lot of stuff to mitigate the shipping costs.

Thanks to Anselmo, I have the connector now. I wasn't concerned about soldering, but I've run into an obstacle with getting the connector pins through the board. There's a little bit of solder in every hole, so I'm unable to pass the pins through and mount the connector. I have solder wick, but not sure how to implement it here. Is it possible with just wick, or do I need to buy some other tool to get the old solder out and pass the connectors through? (Or, any other approach that might work? It's 96 pins, so I'm not able to heat everything at the same time.)

I had the same issue and used it as an excuse to get a desoldering gun. Without it I would have followed everyone’s advice and just purchased another board.

I'd think lots of flux and solder wick WOULD work. I have never done it. Try it and see how easy it is to have the wick get rid of the solder. I think if you have 96 holes, odds are you will run into problems. High risk of burning or lifting up a trace etc.

Seems Meybarra had good results wit a desoldering gun. Now might be a good time to invest in one...I personally have a Hakko and can't imagine desoldering things without it.

Thanks guys. Looks like a desoldering gun is how I have to go. One other thing I saw looking at some videos was to use a drill. Basically I'd need a micro drill bit. I can get a set for $10, so that may be the first course of action before I buy the gun. If it doesn't work out, I do have another board I can use (SF Alpha 1) that's dead, but I have some infinikeys so it's easily revived (and sold!).

Update here: I got the set of micro drill bits and drilled through to remove the solder, then added the connector and soldered on. I installed the multi kit (though didn't bother to do the key writing until I confirmed everything else was working), but I'm getting a marroon-ish/purple-ish blank screen when powering on. LCD is showing the keys loaded and the game is displaying there. I'm using an SD card that works in another multi kit I have that's set up similarly: it has the key writing firmware, but I didn't do the wires, so the card has unencrypted ROMs and the extra key added to each one. So I know it's not the card.

I'm suspecting that something with the 96-pin connector isn't connecting right and/or I mangled a board trace when I did the drilling. So this is looking unsalvageable to me, and so be it as I knew this might not work. But before I sacrifice an Alpha 1 board w/ Infinikey that I have, I figured it was worth asking people here if there might be any other ideas or solutions.

Anyone?

if i remember correctly need other component because with only the edge connector doesnt work.

I'm just going to use the Alpha 1 board. I suppose I could then put the Alpha 1 ROMs onto this one, since that connector section isn't needed. Thanks everyone for your help on this!

Back