What's new
That's cool of him. I might actually get around to putting it in my MVS one of these days now that I can just download and burn it.

what chip and device is needed to put the uni-bois on said chip?

Best thing about Uni4.0 is the mix and match feature that actually makes the Chinese (crap) multicarts worth owning...
Too bad its about 12 years late to the party, aka we've all moved on to the superior DS MVS multi and we need NONE of the features offered by UniBIOS now. :rolleyes:

UniBIOS is still useful for those of us that like to collect and play original MVS carts. The Pick'n'Mix feature is really cool but it won't fix any glitches the 161-in-1 cart has.

I was trying to troubleshoot a cart that was loading all glichy and when searching around for troubleshooting info I discovered that the unibios has a CRC check feature for the program ROMs... GREAT!

So I installed it, only to find that it borrows from the installed game to run the test menu and CRC check screen, so it was completely worthless because those features were all glichy and not functioning properly when running the bad cart. X/

it did a great job at verifying my fully working carts were working though ||

Digikey sells one-time programmable EPROMS that are compatible:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AT27C1024-70PU/AT27C1024-70PU-ND

I got one to write successfully with my GQ-4X and the ADP-054 adapter. It's working in my 2 slot.

I had issues with the programmer not reading in my written chip consistently, so it failed verification upon writing. On the ADP-054 adapter, I set J5 jumper to the 2-3 position and it cleared up the reading issues, and I verified that the chip was written successfully, which is good since it's a one-time programmable chip... :P

i dont recommend those chips,
your safer with questionable eproms from china.

i'v had to bin a number of proms because of programmer glitches or dirty socket contacts causing the programming to get screwed! :(

Digikey sells one-time programmable EPROMS that are compatible:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AT27C1024-70PU/AT27C1024-70PU-ND

I got one to write successfully with my GQ-4X and the ADP-054 adapter. It's working in my 2 slot.

I had issues with the programmer not reading in my written chip consistently, so it failed verification upon writing. On the ADP-054 adapter, I set J5 jumper to the 2-3 position and it cleared up the reading issues, and I verified that the chip was written successfully, which is good since it's a one-time programmable chip... :P
I’ve usually got a few of those exact proms kicking about. Well, I have, so I gave one a go out of curiosity and had no problem burning the UnIBIOS rom first time. I’m only using one of the cheap and cheerful USB TL866II Plus programmers. Though I can’t complain about it, it’s served me well and done everything I’ve asked of it so far, from the BBC Micro up to the, well, Neo Geo now I suppose.

Full disclaimer though, I’ve not tested the UnIBIOS yet, so for all I know it could be crapped out function-wise, but it burned fine. I’ll get around to testing it, just as soon as I can stop playing Prehistoric Isle 2 - Don’t judge :D

USB TL866II Plus
Awesome! I didn't even consider trying that. Does that work without an adapter for these?

Those seem to do a decent job. I actually had a computer bios chip (not remembering part number of form factor off hand) I wanted to program in the GQ-4X, but the adapter needed was crazy expensive. I found a TL866II Plus with adapters included for less than just the adapter I needed for the GQ-4X, and it worked out for me. I guess I give preferential treatment to the GQ-4X if it and the adapters I have are compatible, since I paid so much more for it... :P

For anything that's 40 pins or less, the TL866 is an absolute performer. I prefer it in many ways to my Xeltek Superpro that was 10 times as expensive.

Theres a new version of the TL866 now being sold. I dont know how good it is. Would like to have somebody opinion on this programmer. No reviews on youtube yet.
Link to Ebay XGecu T56

T56 looks nice, you can demo the software,
but it's out of my pricerange right now.

not sure it does 42pin eproms yet either - they seem to be concentrating on adding flash chips first.

there is an arduino-based programmer that can prog big eproms though!!
https://github.com/sanni/cartreader

USB TL866II Plus
Awesome! I didn't even consider trying that. Does that work without an adapter for these?
Those seem to do a decent job. I actually had a computer bios chip (not remembering part number of form factor off hand) I wanted to program in the GQ-4X, but the adapter needed was crazy expensive. I found a TL866II Plus with adapters included for less than just the adapter I needed for the GQ-4X, and it worked out for me. I guess I give preferential treatment to the GQ-4X if it and the adapters I have are compatible, since I paid so much more for it... :P

Yeah, as nem mentioned, basically anything 40 pins or less, depending on which set you plump for you'll also get a handy set of adaptors as well, PLCC44 and so on.

I've yet to have a bad word to say against it, considering the price of the thing.

For anything that's 40 pins or less, the TL866 is an absolute performer. I prefer it in many ways to my Xeltek Superpro that was 10 times as expensive.
I've never tried it but the 40pin limitation is a big no-no for me.
I burn 42pin devices a lot for repairs (basically any graphic or sample ROM from the mid 90s is 42pin).
I know you can do them on the TL866 with the proper adapter in multiple passes but that's too cumbersome for me.

I've never tried it but the 40pin limitation is a big no-no for me.I burn 42pin devices a lot for repairs (basically any graphic or sample ROM from the mid 90s is 42pin).
I know you can do them on the TL866 with the proper adapter in multiple passes but that's too cumbersome for me.
The T56 would suit you better, it’s more versatile having, as the name suggests, 56 pins. It’s probably going to be my next purchase as an upgrade from the TL866.
Although there are many adapters available which allow 42 (and more) pin programming on the TL866, without having to move the chip around. Albeit, not in a single pass, which is where the T56 improves upon it.

I don’t normally use AliExpress, but this one has me tempted.....
£147.52 | XGecu T56 USB Programmer 56 Pin Drivers Support 20000+ ICs for PIC/NAND Flash/EMMC TSOP48/TSOP56/BGA+ 9 adapters+soic8 test clip
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSv8LUS

Last edited:
I may be wrong but i only counted 42pin socket on the programmer so not sure where the 56pin is coming from. Unless they are saying it can do IC's that have 56pins with an adapter.

Back