What's new
I really like it ! Congratulations !!!
Do you use an MS9 Yoke with your tube ?
Or a Yoke adaptation ?

The MS9 yoke isn't shaped right for this A59-size tube, but the original MS8-25 yoke happens to have the same horizontal inductance, so it mostly "just works" once you adapt the connector shape. Focus is pretty soft unless you turn up B+ a little, though.

Or a Yoke adaptation ?
I swapped the yoke connectors. I am using the original yoke with the tube yes.

This tube came from a neo candy that originally use a Toei 25 chassis. I'd remembered that people had use MS9 chassis on these tubes that originally had a ms8-25. I had nothing to lose so I measured the Ohms and decided to give it a try. I did have to change the yoke connectors, which is not difficult, but it is a little frustrating.

The main issue I ran into, and it is from using a toei yoke- H size issues. Even after setting the jumper to wide, a lot of games will not go full screen. I did have to dial the flyback pots down quite a bit.

Here's a thread I made on it.
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41015&p=523131#p523131

I have a feeling it would be more compatible if I used a ms8-25 yoke. I've actually gotten a Toshiba 1843 to work on this toei yoke, but it has the same issues as the ms9, won't fill the screen horizontally.

Last edited:
Or a Yoke adaptation ?
I swapped the yoke connectors. I am using the original yoke with the tube yes.
This tube came from a neo candy that originally use a Toei 25 chassis. I'd remembered that people had use MS9 chassis on these tubes that originally had a ms8-25. I had nothing to lose so I measured the Ohms and decided to give it a try. I did have to change the yoke connectors, which is not difficult, but it is a little frustrating.

The main issue I ran into, and it is from uing a toei yoke- H size issues. Even after setting the jumper to wide, a lot of games will not go full screen. I did have to dial the flyback pots down quite a bit.

Here's a thread I made on it.
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41015&p=523131#p523131

I have a feeling it would be more compatible if I used a ms8-25 yoke. I've actually gotten a Toshiba 1843 to work on this toei yoke, but it has the same issues as the ms9, won't fill the screen horizontally.
I've been running a MS2930 chassis on a Windy 2 tube/yoke and had to change the yoke connector too. I also had problems with the image not filling the screen, even after setting the jumper to wide. Recently however I was able to address this by tweaking the VSL pot on the chassis. Obviously there are differences between MS9 and MS2930 but it's worth checking out.

Very interesting !
MS8-29 is probably more compatible for a TOEI 25 yoke than the MS9 one.

On my NEO25, i had a Toshiba/MS8-25FAR, and it was perfect after changing it for an MS8-29.

The Toei A292, an A59-sized 25" monitor, has a horizontal inductance of 0.55mH. The MS9-29 is designed for ~0.3mH, so even cranking the horizontal width limit is not going to fully close the gap. The MS8-29 will do a little bit better, as it is designed for a ~0.4mH yoke.

Great project good to see the results.

Any idea what type of JST/molex (assuming you have the same loom) the multi pin combined power/rgb connector is, I've been having trouble identifying it, to me the one my friends canary has look more like an automotive connector.

Great project good to see the results.

Any idea what type of JST/molex (assuming you have the same loom) the multi pin combined power/rgb connector is, I've been having trouble identifying it, to me the one my friends canary has look more like an automotive connector.
It it some sort of old style molex connector. I have no idea what it is, I would replace it with something more common if I were you.

It it some sort of old style molex connector. I have no idea what it is, I would replace it with something more common if I were you.
Interesting thread !
I try to swap my Toei chassis with a Nanao MS8-29 and I have to create an adapter for the multi pin rgb connector... any reference ?

Interesting thread !
I try to swap my Toei chassis with a Nanao MS8-29 and I have to create an adapter for the multi pin rgb connector... any reference ?

If mine are the same as yours, they're TE Universal Mate-n-lok connectors.

PXL_20220106_043734741.jpg

Everytime my erection in response to this cab subsides someone else bumps the thread.

Back