What's new

Hedonism Bot 2.0

Grand Master
Reaction score
Alright, I got a Canary earlier this year, but it was in need of restoration. I knew this going in, as a cabinet of this age would need work. I'll have to break this up since there are a lot of pictures.

Here is when I got it:
uu2Pmmcm.jpg

VJPfaYwm.jpg

dJ856IJm.jpg

NPFppZRm.jpg

Originally it was blue, however age, dirt+ smoke had clearly taken its toll. I tried to find local places that would paint or powdercoat, and all of them refused, oh well.

My wife is really good at painting/color matching, so she assisted me quite a bit.

Here you can see how badly the pieces have become discolored.
w3ozUb7m.jpg

W0KnvHom.jpg

Rust like this was also all over the cabinet:
urCk5Iwm.jpg

It took several days and treatment to get all of the rust off. It took all of the rust remover I had to get it out.

Qze2DZam.jpg

5wWQ8g7m.jpg

A little lighter than the OG paint, or maybe not? I know the other blue canary uses a darker blue, but this is a big improvement.

xXcdz0Ym.jpg

sR8d5Hgl.jpg

Getting there.

Last edited:
I pulled the wiring, and used the pressure washer with a combo of simple green. I cleaned the cabinet inside and out with it:

jv6BC9Jm.jpg

While it did get a lot of the grime from the inside and out, unfortunately what I feared was true. Much of the discoloration in the body was just that- discoloration from age and smoke and was not coming out. I pulled the side art and did a full sanding down of the cabinet.

I hit another snag, as it started raining. It rained for several weeks and I got tired of waiting. My wife found this paint station for indoor use, which is really a small tent, but works great!

zxTL3zlm.jpg

8Bx1iF4m.jpg

S70S6BNm.jpg

I sanded down the doors too, they had some dents and bends I was able to get out.

Now I was ready to reassemble the cabinet, but I did have some changes I wanted to make.

I was having trouble with the power supply, and I wanted a stereo amp. I did not want to change the original wiring, so I reached out to japan-arcade on ebay and he was able to help me out. I have a sega aero city psu I now use+ a cyberlead stereo amp.

1mjYLrBm.jpg

I did not want to cut or hack the wiring, so I made up a harness that connects directly to the speakers. It only takes a few moments to swap between the two, and the stereo sound is incredible. I also swapped in new speakers, as the original had damages, but I cannot remember which speakers I used.

9AYhryum.jpg

I also swapped in a burn free tube and paired it with a nanao ms9 chassis:
Yw2eSIZm.jpg

And finally, reassembly and finished. I decided not to install the rotate mech and keep the frame for now.

aEE0Gozl.jpg

FWYOXDSl.jpg

LAzjczIl.jpg

Of all the restores I've done, this is the most intensive. @fuzzbuddy was a great help with pictures and information.

I changed the locks in the cabinet to the same ones in the Egret 2, as I could not find a key.

Your cab restores are beautiful, really nice work! I like the choice of button colors with the yellow surrounds, looks clean on that CP and compliments the blue bonnet nicely. Whats the pattern in the marquee plastic? Never seen that before

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. Always been a fan of the Canary, but haven't been able to get my hands on one. Is this one of the ones KC brought in recently?

How did you wire up the stereo amp?

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. Always been a fan of the Canary, but haven't been able to get my hands on one. Is this one of the ones KC brought in recently?

How did you wire up the stereo amp?
Yes, from KC.

The stereo amp is powered from the psu with 12v and ground. I have a 4 pin connector that connects to the stereo amp, and I use that same connector for pre amp boards. I have the connector wired the same way as the e2 stereo breakout of L+L-R-R+.

I can get you a picture later.

What's the rust remover called and how did you apply it? What kind of sanding did you do to the metal and paint? Where did you find the replacement artwork?

Awesome job!

What's the rust remover called and how did you apply it? What kind of sanding did you do to the metal and paint? Where did you find the replacement artwork?

Awesome job!
Arcade art shop for the artwork.

I used evaporust and had to soak parts of it in there for a few days. The tougher rust that was left needed CLR. After that I just had to have at it with a metal toothbrush and then I used a hand sander. Once I had the old paint off, I used a powered hand sander to smooth it all out. That part took several days. Evaporust gets most, but there were still some parts that weren’t coming out without using the CLR and a metal brush.

Wow, that looks great! I've always wondered though. For plastic cabs, what are your options if something cracks or chips off?

That monitor is juicy.

What perfect timing to have another cab to play on.

I’m not sure which cab I like best in your photo. Madonna, MVS, or Canary?

What’s your fave?

That monitor is juicy.

What perfect timing to have another cab to play on.

I’m not sure which cab I like best in your photo. Madonna, MVS, or Canary?

What’s your fave?
Damn, that's a tough question. My Egret 2 is my favorite because I've had it the longest. However, I like playing faster shmups on these 24/25 monitors a lot better.

I'd love to know which speakers you used as a replacement. Mine sometimes make a hiss sound (only on some PCBs) :)

Back