Lets talk Taito Type X3

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lets talk Taito Type X3

Recently I've been getting a ton of PMs regarding the X3 so I wanted to start a thread where we can all talk about it.

One of the main requests I get is for porting or developing a multi. For the sake of this conversation we'll assume for running X2 games on the X3 hardware.

Whats the appeal with the X3? Is it popular because they're easy to obtain? Or because they all have an iDmac ( Fast I/O )?

Initially I hated the X3, it was big and bulky, has multiple hardware configurations, and was a PITA to work on since the drives were ATA locked. Now that we have a work around for the ATA lock its easier, but we're still working with non uniform hardware and also newer operating system with new security features that could potentially cause headaches.

If I were to develop a multi for the X3, it would likely be a "multi lite" and only target a specific hardware configuration. For example, only supporting Fast I/O boards and no button combo to exit games. Would this even be desirable?

I havent decided to make anything yet, and there is a good chance that I wont. I'm just spitballing here.

Thoughts?
      Want to show your support for the Freeware Taito TypeX2 Multi Project?: Buy Niko a Beer! :thumbsup:
      Official Freeware Taito TypeX2 Multi Thread
      Official Freeware Ringedge2 Multi Info ( PM me )
    • I think most everyone just wants NxL2 stuff out of it. I get a lot of PMs about it, so I can only imagine how many you get.

Running X2 on X3 would be great. They're far more available right now, and cheaper.

Also, this reminds me, long while back we talked about missing games and/or revisions. I don't have anything you'd said you were looking for unfortunately.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, and an SNK SC-25.

Shameless plug: Rewrite's Recaps - Your monitor and PSU recapping service center
    • the desire for me is newer hardware, readily available, lower cost. Plus with the added horsepower/ram, opens up the door to runs some mame stuff/other games as well.

I think you should target the I5 / GTX660N spec X3, which is the USF4 build along with many other games. You can easily upgrade this to an i7 and increase the ram to 16gb and your are done.

I will definitely donate to the cause :thumbsup:

Wanted: Batsugun, Battle Garegga, Battle Bakraid, Deathsmiles, War of Aero
      13/14" TriSync Tube/Chassis, Vewlix Shipping Brackets
      If you have any of these for sale/trade let me know please and lets make a deal :thumbup:
    • I only have 1 X2 and it doesn't even have a Fast IO. They're easily the most expensive TTX platform, likely because of the multi.

you can get X3s on YAJ for under $100 all day I've got 4 of them because I was able to buy them for $40 a piece and Buyee was offering free international shipping.

I think starting the work porting the X2 multi to the X3 would be great to just give people options, particularly since most Vewlixes have Fast IOs and an X2 with a Fast IO is three to four times the price of an X3.

Not to mention once the X3 stuff is old enough that it gets released you'll already have the groundwork done.

as for the hardware config... the v402/v404 variant is easily the most ubiquitous one on the used market
      404CORE i5-2400 3.1GHz2GB x4N660GTX

used by USFIV, the Various Gun Slinger Stratos Games, and Lord of Vermilion IV (the latter two of which end up with a ton of units on the market).

I think the NXL2 boxes use the same CPU and GPU but just have more RAM so to my mind that makes it a perfect target.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • I mostly agree with everything twisted symphony said.

I think there's a lot of un-used or under used x3s out there that people would love to put to good work. I do think the fastio makes it more appealing to some since so many people are buying vewlixs since the diamonds have gotten so cheap and they all come fastio stock.

"If I were to develop a multi for the X3, it would likely be a "multi lite" and only target a specific hardware configuration. For example, only supporting Fast I/O boards and no button combo to exit games. Would this even be desirable?"

Sounds great to me I don't mind that at all.

I'm actually just as excited about the possibility of decrypted nxl2 games as I am a multi. Just one game at a time but getting to pick that game would be great. I don't mind resetting the cab.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Scillianaire ().

• twistedsymphony wrote:

Lord of Vermilion IV

I have one of these. Has anyone here gotten anything else to run on the thing? I've been bugging Niko about it (sorry), but I think he lacks this exact setup.

"Other games" depend on .ini files that are missing from the LoV4 Windows installation, and if you drop a Puzzle & Dragons image on the hard drive, it just black screen.
    • There are quite a few different images of LOV4:
      LORD OF VERMILION RE2-SATE
      LORD OF VERMILION Re:3 MAIN
      LORD OF VERMILION IV 20 PLAN
      LORD OF VERMILION IV 45 PLAN
      LORD OF VERMILION IV MAIN
      LORD OF VERMILION IV SP PLAN

I wonder if those missing files reside on a server instead of the terminal machine.

I think I've posted it before but I've kept track of the different TTX hardware versions in a spreadsheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d…-_u4C_G0/edit?usp=sharing

maybe I never came across a lot of the TTX3 variants but there seems to be a lot less versions of that than than X1 and X2
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • Niko wrote:

The main thing to note between FastIO and JVS is some or maybe most (haven't checked many) X2 JVS games have a 20ms (~1.4 frames) delay on input polling for compatibility. ( Not all JVS I/O boards are created equal! ) You can see this implemented sometimes when games use ReadFile() in a blocking manner. When using my FastIO2JVS library this delay is mitigated because I'm able to return from the function after passing the data instead of waiting for the timeout.

Niko wrote:

Actually with my multi, you can use FastIO to play JVS or FastIO games. As I've written a FastIO to JVS library, and from the few games I've tested, its actually brings JVS games up to the speed of FastIO due to blocking nature of functions the game has to call in order to poll the I/O.
      After reading these posts by Niko, I've always wanted to try out the FastIO2JVS emulator with Tetris (X1), unfortunately I've never owned an X2 with a FastIO card. Hoping this feature will be available on a potential X3 Multi someday! 8o ^^
    • At 3000 Yen for a working X3 and Nesica TTX2's going for 18000 Yen plus - it's a stupidly cheap way to get fastio & jvs interfaces.

From my point of view I'd just like to get a SF4 hdd & dongle I have working on my LOV base unit for now.

In the future being able to run the TTX2 stuff on a TTX3 even if it meant swapping the video card for a 7900GS would be a start as working TTX2's are getting expensive. and the extra grunt would make MAME play better.

Apart from the Nesica games and SF4 there isn't much on TTX3 that interests me.
    • kazuo wrote:

Not an argument against the effort, but something to consider - X3's won't stay cheap once a multi exists for it.
      they'll definitely go up in price but thats only because they're mostly useless right now and the market is flooded with them. most of them wont run unless connected to a server (like the NxL stuff) and most of the stuff that can run alone requires highly specialized hardware (like GunSlinger Stratos).

very high supply, and very low demand

Honestly, I'd suspect X2 values to drop a bit if/when we can start playing these games on X3, especially for those units without FastIO.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

kazuo wrote:

Not an argument against the effort, but something to consider - X3's won't stay cheap once a multi exists for it.
      they'll definitely go up in price but thats only because they're mostly useless right now and the market is flooded with them. most of them wont run unless connected to a server (like the NxL stuff) and most of the stuff that can run alone requires highly specialized hardware (like GunSlinger Stratos).
      very high supply, and very low demand

Honestly, I'd suspect X2 values to drop a bit if/when we can start playing these games on X3, especially for those units without FastIO.

This is pretty much what I expect. X3s will go up from nothing to something but mostly x2s will go down.