What's new

Triple3fast

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm hooking up a 8200 CGA/VGA converter to my Blast City with my Sanwa 29E31S. Where's a good place to tap in to 5+ volts to power the 8200 unit? I'm new to the candy cabinets and these IO boards are a tad confusing compared to a switching power supply :)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the JVS power connectors. There are no 5v ports open unfortunately at CN3 but there are few 3.3v open. The 8200 says 5v-12v. I'm thinking I could splice the cable into two 3.3v slots.

Thanks for replying.

Feeding it 3.3v twice doesn't give you 6.6v :)

Also I'd advise feeding it 5v, even though it does accept higher voltages, I've read they develop more image quality issues with voltages above 5v.

Feeding it 3.3v twice doesn't give you 6.6v :)

Also I'd advise feeding it 5v, even though it does accept higher voltages, I've read they develop more image quality issues with voltages above 5v.
Well I was thinking two wires from each 3.3v slot then spliced into the inverter. OK well scratch that.

Besides a jamma passthrough any other option to grab the 5v? It doesn't have to be the easiest way :)

Pretty sure the GBS only pulls about 1A at most at 5V. You could probably pick up a super cheap boost converter and run it off of the 3.3v. Or, if you have 12V available, use a buck converter. Get a buck/boost converter for the best of both worlds.

However, I am 100% sure that JVS power standards require 3.3V, 5V, and 12V to be present so buck or boost converters should not be necessary at all.

Pretty sure the GBS only pulls about 1A at most at 5V. You could probably pick up a super cheap boost converter and run it off of the 3.3v. Or, if you have 12V available, use a buck converter. Get a buck/boost converter for the best of both worlds.

However, I am 100% sure that JVS power standards require 3.3V, 5V, and 12V to be present so buck or boost converters should not be necessary at all.
Thanks, man! Temporarily I wanted to just test it so pulled out a ground/5v from the JVS since I'm not using any of the Naomi stuff to test the 8200 board. Well it sort of works. R.G.B.G.S. are in P3. The screen is sort of split. That auto scan button works but doesn't do much. Unless I'm doing something wrong the other 3 buttons including the menu don't do anything. I'm stuck. F. ?(

49706310516_b17a348ba4_c.jpg

49706310411_be7d359c88_c.jpg

Can't help you with that problem, maybe a sync issue?
Anyway, I highly suggest you look into this mod: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control if you plan on actively using the GBS board.
I find that it handles things much better than the stock firmware, and it may even solve the issue you're seeing.

It improves the functionality (sync issues, configuration over wifi, scanlines, etc) and increases the image quality of GBS boards significantly.
You'll need at a minimum an ESP8266 board of some sort. I like the Wemos D1 mini pro for gbscontrol for compact packaging.
From the usual online sources, they cost at most $5.
The board will look something like this when it's done.

GBS0.JPG

I would tap into the internal side of the power cord and install a female outlet extension before the PSU.

I have no idea of amp tolerance past the PSU.

Use the recommended peak amp tolerance of the psu of the 8200 which I believe is 5V 2 amps.

Peak I have observed on my GBS (with the esp8266 board) running on 5V is 0.88A

I remember rama saying that the boards are 4W (echoing what was written above), so yeah, 1A is perfectly fine.

Temporarily I wanted to just test it so pulled out a ground/5v from the JVS since I'm not using any of the Naomi stuff to test the 8200 board.
Good solution! Duh, why didn't I think of that :S

Anyway, I highly suggest you look into this mod: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control if you plan on actively using the GBS board.
I find that it handles things much better than the stock firmware, and it may even solve the issue you're seeing.

It improves the functionality (sync issues, configuration over wifi, scanlines, etc) and increases the image quality of GBS boards significantly.
You'll need at a minimum an ESP8266 board of some sort. I like the Wemos D1 mini pro for gbscontrol for compact packaging.

GBS0.JPG
I was just reading about that mod the other day! I'll have to look into that. Does anyone sell these already modded? :)

Thanks,

I think my 8200 board isn't functioning properly. Even when I only have the VGA in and P3 unplugged I get this triple picture. I can't believe the VGA cable is bad. Maybe I got a bad 8200?

49708517113_2d5f986f73_c.jpg

Try connecting it to a LCD for setuping. Your output (and possibly input) settings are messed up.

So I got the thing to sync and got into the menu and changed it to english :) I tried a few boards and they worked. One game though did not come up so I had to auto sync that to get to work. Does it not save your display setting after it's turned off? Regarding STFII I'm chalking that up as a board issue. I haven't turned it on for a few years. Thanks to everybody that helped. I still feel this 8200 board is kind of a POS. I should take Adgenet's suggestion and mod it. Yeah...Ninja Gaiden :)

49713997872_ea9e4fccc3_c.jpg

GBS0.JPG
That looks neat! Which connector is that 4 pin you used there?

Back