What's new

ZoomBoy

Student
Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully someone has some info for me. I just purchased a STV / Batman Forever PCB / Sound board combo but realized it isn't coming with the harness / cables for the sound board out and power.

I read somewhere online (I've been searching practically everywhere today) that its generally "easy" to create the wiring for this. Has anyone got any information or a link of the cables I'd need to get this running with sound? Any help appreciated!

Batman Titan.jpg

It's pretty easy, yes.

Look for manual here:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals/manuals_videogame.php

On page 36 you have the pinout for CON7 (DC power input), and on page 39 you have the pinout from CON5 to your speakers (audio output).
Thanks nem. I've only ran PCBs on my HAS supergun - do you know how these are normally hooked up in a cab? Does the PSU supply the DC power input, and the speaker audio output goes directly into the back of the speakers? Right now I use a 3.5mm jack for audio, wondering if I can use some sort of adapter.

s-l1600.jpg

Does the PSU supply the DC power input
It does. You will need to make a harness for it.

and the speaker audio output goes directly into the back of the speakers?
This is correct as well. The audio from the sound amp is already amplified. If you want to use your own amp then you will have to convert the audio to line level.

Does the PSU supply the DC power input
It does. You will need to make a harness for it.

and the speaker audio output goes directly into the back of the speakers?
This is correct as well. The audio from the sound amp is already amplified. If you want to use your own amp then you will have to convert the audio to line level.
Thank you. Now I need to find someone to make this cables for me.

This is definitely something you could do by yourself. You just need some wiring, the proper connector pins and housings, and a crimping tool.

If you take pics of the sound board we can let you know what kind of connectors you need.

This is definitely something you could do by yourself. You just need some wiring, the proper connector pins and housings, and a crimping tool.

If you take pics of the sound board we can let you know what kind of connectors you need.
Thank you, when I receive it I will take photos. My only problem is I'm using a supergun and not in a traditional cabinet, so there's that additional complexity.

hi :

See attached, batman forever and nba jam extreme use same audio pcb, just different proms.
Not home so i cant take an image of tge batman forever pcb.
Should be j1 connector for sound, the other connection is to the cart/buffer board. j1 is the smaller header pin connector.

regards
euphoria

Attachments

• 3647F26F-AF28-4F15-BBF7-13636E1E9B85.jpeg
    3647F26F-AF28-4F15-BBF7-13636E1E9B85.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 305
hi :
See attached, batman forever and nba jam extreme use same audio pcb, just different proms.
Not home so i cant take an image of tge batman forever pcb.
Should be j1 connector for sound, the other connection is to the cart/buffer board. j1 is the smaller header pin connector.

regards
euphoria
Thanks for the info! I'm still waiting for the STV board + game + sound board in the mail. But once I receive it I can hopefully get some help in wiring it up :)

hi : zoom

From what i have read in posts hooking up the sound without any external amplification just the audio pcb.
There is a double loop required via tge gns or the + somewhere.
But since your just taking line level. should be no issue.

kind regards
euphoria
:)

In the Batman Forever manual the audio output is connected straight to speakers, so it's definitely amplified. However, maybe there's a trick to get it to output line level.

In the Batman Forever manual the audio output is connected straight to speakers, so it's definitely amplified. However, maybe there's a trick to get it to output line level.
hi :

You should have test points on this pcb. mabey there is one or two test points you can use that are to check the pre amplified sound.
Might be a good start. You need to be careful though with that limited run setup.

regards
euphoria

Does this game require the extra harnesses + sound board to even play the game? I plugged the STV mobo + game cart into my supergun and it doesn't display anything on my CRT. Not sure if I need absolutely everything hooked up and running to even play?

And it looks like I'm missing a cap on the STV motherboard on the mid right side (C571). This is off to a great start.

C571 is 220uF 16V.

I want to say the motherboard should display some boot up text even without a cart plugged in. Have you checked voltages?

And it looks like I'm missing a cap on the STV motherboard on the mid right side (C571). This is off to a great start.
hi :
I assumed you set was fully working. test morherboard first. even if you buy another cart cheap.
Hate to kill your batman cart. Lots of stuff on that cart and tge buffer board.
Also suggest you get the schematic for a stv pcb and check all components and as nem says . Check your voltages.
Otherwise kick it to me. If you fry it. But would prefer you get some joy out of what you bought.
Pm me if yiu have no success.As a backup i could do with parts. As a last resort.
Good luck and best wishes!

regards
euphoria

hi :I assumed you set was fully working. test morherboard first. even if you buy another cart cheap.
Hate to kill your batman cart. Lots of stuff on that cart and tge buffer board.
Also suggest you get the schematic for a stv pcb and check all components and as nem says . Check your voltages.
Otherwise kick it to me. If you fry it. But would prefer you get some joy out of what you bought.
Pm me if yiu have no success.As a backup i could do with parts. As a last resort.
Good luck and best wishes!

regards
euphoria
Thanks for all your guidance. I have 2 other STV carts, but because of the motherboard design for Batman the carts will not connect as a normal STV motherboard. I'm actually returning this to the seller I purchased it from - I was fine with even having no sound to just play this game. Maybe one day I'll find an ST-V multi for sale.

Back