What's new

gasgesgos

Beginner
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has an idea on some graphics issues I'm seeing. Games load, most sprites have full shapes, but don't display in anything but flat colors - different colors per sprite (or background).

Album with screenshots

I installed a multiboard, with install/troubleshooting steps including:

• Lifting the G PAL pin and wiring it to J17
  • Wiring up key writing pins
  • Verified board jumpers (board was MvC, valid jumpers out of the box)
  • Checked continuity between graphics ROM pins on the multiboard and the bottom of the sockets (pins appear to be set fine)
  • Reformatted SD and reloaded ROMs
  • Connected A and B directly (no cases, no 'wiggle room' between the boards)
  • Reviewed the board for obvious scratches, no trace issues that I could see
  • Battery is removed
  • Shorted cap near the battery to remove stale key data

Unfortunately I don't have other hardware to test with, though I could put the old ROMs back in after using the multi to write a new key. The B-board was last known to be working (supposedly), but the battery was dead when I got to it and applied the multiboard.

I've got a bad feeling I need to replace some chips on the A board somewhere, does anyone have any ideas or things to try?

Hello,

It would be really useful if you could use another A or B board to help narrow it down. I've seen something like this happen before and in the end it was the multiplexers near the B21 chip on the A board. The chips are marked 74LS157 and there's 3 (6?) of them. If you know how to do SMD work try swapping them around and see if the problem changes, i.e., still not working but it's "different". If so, just replace all of the chips and you should be done.

Report back, it's good to have feedback :)

Make sure your Multi kit boards are seated ALL THE WAY into the sockets.
Make sure the Interconnect board is FULLY Seated as well.
Make Sure your A and B boards are Cased and seated fully (even a little wiggle may change the sprites/jail-bars)

Take some pics of the boards seated together and post em here.
From there, Make sure you don't have any bent pins. From what it looks like (if the MVC was a working board beforehand) you might have an issue on the kit, or on the A board. To test the A board, put the Original roms back in

In the picture above you're missing all red and green. Was the board working before you installed a multi kit onto it?

Go into the service menu and do a colour bar test to start with and take some photos of the boards.

There are a set of buffers on the colour lines on the A board that fail sometimes so it could be that but more likely an issue between A and B or another issue

Back