What's new
EDIT: DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS I POSTED. IT IS A JOKE. YOU WILL DIE IF YOU LICK YOUR PINKY AND STICK IT IN ELECTRICITY.

I posted this elsewhere, but the best practice is put your non-dominant hand in your pocket, then lick the tip of your other hand's pinky and slip it under the cap. Make sure game is on and running when you do this. If you're quick enough, you'll get that cap off, no problem.

These directions are only if you're single. If you're married, you must do this with the ring finger with your wedding ring on. The metal in your ring will give you even more protection.

Good luck!

Last edited:
How do the rings help? I have seen people wearing something like that even while working on PCBs.

How do the rings help? I have seen people wearing something like that even while working on PCBs.
You might have just jumped down to the bottom. I was joking, DO NOT follow my instructions anyone!

I was COMPLETELY JOKING. DO NOT follow my instructions on how to discharge a tube, it will literally KILL you!

Last edited:
matting-category-header-esd-300x194.png
Whats this friendship band about?

Jesus @xtrasmiley.........too far. Sarcasm, is only sarcasm to those in the know. Ya gotta be more careful over forum text.
What can I say man, I figured it was pretty obvious with the part about licking your pinky and doing it while the game was on, but eh? I'll put a disclaimer!

Not sure people would follow that post line by line. I didnt even read it past the ring sentence. Just wanted to know what that ring was about. And not the wedding ring, but specifically the ring with a funny wire attached to it.

Jesus @xtrasmiley.........too far. Sarcasm, is only sarcasm to those in the know. Ya gotta be more careful over forum text.
What can I say man, I figured it was pretty obvious with the part about licking your pinky and doing it while the game was on, but eh? I'll put a disclaimer!
I mean...I'm not gonna lie, I laughed first, and then I saw Suverman's comment.

Too many folks, from too many places that either have a bit of a language gap, or sarcasm isn't as prevalent. Just not something you'd want hanging over your conscience later, I'd imagine. :D

I mean...I'm not gonna lie, I laughed first, and then I saw Suverman's comment.
Too many folks, from too many places that either have a bit of a language gap, or sarcasm isn't as prevalent. Just not something you'd want hanging over your conscience later, I'd imagine. :D
No you are 100% correct. I have a sick sense of humor, but not everyone does and not everyone speaks fluent English.

I left it so maybe sick people like me will get a smile, but put a big red disclaimer to warn others.

Real talk though, I have shocked the shit out of myself from doing just one discharge, but not a second or third time and ZAP. Woke me up good.

Not sure people would follow that post line by line. I didnt even read it past the ring sentence. Just wanted to know what that ring was about. And not the wedding ring, but specifically the ring with a funny wire attached to it.
Very fair, and @bagheera369 is correct too. Not saying you would do this, but someone might have skipped straight to the part about licking their finger and sticking it under the cap, and damn, their death, as hilarious as it may be to some, would weigh heavily on my conscious.

Yeah...I've damn near shattered a 27" on the floor, because the anode had been discharged, and pulled, but the tube regained charge overnight. When I went to pull it the next day, I didn't discharge it a second time...and "bang".

They are no fun...and I follow a 1 minute rule at home....discharge for 20 seconds, let rest for 20 seconds, and discharge again for 20 seconds, before I pull the anode, and If I'm going to leave the tube out somewhere the cats can get to it, like under a pinball machine...I do that again, at least 3 more times over a couple hours, before I let them back near or around it. A nasty shock from me, would kill them...so I'm super careful, both for myself, and the pets.

My old arcade coworkers call it paranoid...but one of their friends was dumb enough to start one up, with a bare chassis, sitting in his lap....so....I call it prudence.

Back