What's new

segasonic91

Student
Reaction score
I am getting a 6 slot mother soon with problems. The board was used with a psu that was way too high and it fried the jamma pins that supply power and ground.

I have no idea if it has other problems, but it was apparently being used in a cab when the damaged happened. I can't find a photo at the moment but I will add one.

NOW!! My bright idea, (please don't laugh at me) was to use the MVS to JAMMA adaptor and tap the 5v, 12v and ground from the board and solder to the JAMMA adator directly. Is this something that would work? My worry is that that the damage went all the way from the jamma edge up the trace to the board itself.

The JAMMA edge is black and burnt. Theoretically, would the damage have gone all through the board or would it just be the burnt JAMMA edge damage only? Obviously the JAMMA connector got too hot and caused the burning. I just don't know if the damaged would have stopped there or if it damaged the board too. Hoping some NEO-GEO gods may be able to decipher my rambling and give me an answer. I am only talking theoretical of course ;)

The board was used with a psu that was way too high and it fried the jamma pins that supply power and ground.
Sorry to say but if voltage was "way too high" then you can abandon the repair, most chips are probably fried now and those that have survived have probably a very short lifespan.

But maybe the PSU was actually fine and the issue is the cabinet was wired in a way not all power pins were connected resulting in all the current flowing through a single pin.

The board was used with a psu that was way too high and it fried the jamma pins that supply power and ground.
Sorry to say but if voltage was "way too high" then you can abandon the repair, most chips are probably fried now and those that have survived have probably a very short lifespan.
But maybe the PSU was actually fine and the issue is the cabinet was wired in a way not all power pins were connected resulting in all the current flowing through a single pin.
Hmmm, well that is what I feared. I am not 100% on the circumstances that lead to the edge connector being fried to tell the truth. I was told it was most likley an operator having a game not work and turned the voltage up in an attempt to get it to work.

I am guessing that either way, if there was such an excess of power or incorrect wiring to cause that much damage, the chips on the board would have been affected,too.

Chances are it's toast. As Apocalypse mentions if there was a surge of too high voltage it would have taken out a lot of components along the way. The fact that the jamma edge is blackened indicates that it was left in this incorrectly powered state for a lengthy period of time which makes matters much worse.

Personally, unless it's like $20, I wouldn't buy it.

Well, they wanted quite a bit more than $200 at first ;) well $100 more! But then he said I could have it. So I guess free is okay.... Bugger! Would love a 6 slot!

6 slots are a bitch to get working at the best of times!

I mean with patience and a lot of work it may be salvageable but be prepared to replace a lot of ICs and passive components and also you'll be repairing a lot of trace damage. You'd most likely need another donar MVS board to scavenge parts from too such as RAM chips etc.

Haha, yeah the 6 slots are mostly nightmares from what I've seen. It seems that a miracle has occoured when one finds a perfect, working 6 slot. GadgetUK has some great videos!

I always wonder if SNK just made the boards horribly, with cheap and nasty parts or if it is simply years of abuse in hot arcade cabs that destroyed so many? Or perhaps a combination. I been thinking of just making do with with one of those ¥10,000 4 slots from yaj. Although ¥10,000 is a lot more than it was 3 months ago, grrr.

Something nice and easy like the work ram error would be nice. I don't like the idea of cannilbalising another board to get the other to work but I guess there would be no choice. These are getting harder and harder to come by so killing one to save one feels like a backwards step. But that is just my silly mind. It is unavoidable in this hobby, as I am discovering.

I don't think 6 slots are that less reliable than other slots.
The main issue with Neo Geo slots is track rot (those traces are so tiny) amplified by the numerous amount of them on a 6 slot.
When I got mine only 2 slots were working, turned out to be a single corroded trace on the top board.
Last week, after a 6 month slumber (PSUs recap with real life in the middle), it had developed graphic corruption. Found one bad RAM. That same day, happy for such an easy repair, I decided to play a bit. After 5mn game froze and on reboot I was greeted by the crosshatch pattern (no cart detected). Again, down to a single corroded trace.
I've been playing it every day since with no new issue (but for how long?).

Well good luck! Hopefully the SNK gods shine on you and it continues working.

Watching a repair video this morning, there are an insane amount of chips on the board. I guess as you said, there is so much to go wrong with so many small components and traces and such. 1 slots can be flakey enough, times that by 6 and you have a lot of potential failure. Does still make me wonder if they could have designed it better or used better parts though. But then again, no one was supposed to playing this stuff 5 years later letalone 30 years later so they probably though it was good enough.

One of "my game shops" in the MD days had a 5 cart switcher that looked very much like a NG 4 or 6 slot. It cycled through the games just like a NEO, too. Damn I wanted that thing! They would not sell it to me because it was just a display device from SEGA Australia and they didn't own it. I wonder if things like that are as flakey as a NG multi slot? ;) Slightly different scale, but it just popped in my head as I was typing about the NEO.

Loved my 6 slot MVS cab and regret selling it (but did it in favor of getting a NNC, so still good I guess ;) ), but luckily my 6 slot was working perfectly, just recapped the audio section when I got it and the battery and that's it.
My current 1 slot has given me more issues than my 6 slot ever did...

I have fully working 6slot, recapped, battery modded, modbios installed, etc.. but its in storage, I gotta pull that hing out and put it up for sale.

I have fully working 6slot, recapped, battery modded, modbios installed, etc.. but its in storage, I gotta pull that hing out and put it up for sale.
I doubt it will take long to sell ;) Working boards are like gold noe, aren't they?

I wouldn't even imagine shipping that thing from the US to Oz… 8|

I wouldn't even imagine shipping that thing from the US to Oz… 8|
God no, especially now. Way too fragile! I would not be able to afford it anyway. Pretty much double anything USD at the moment and that is before the ridiculous USPS international postage prices.

You guys across the Tasman must be hurting even more. I just hope the AUD continues its current upward trend.... knock on wood!

I am getting "not working" NAOMI (IC29 error, first thing I will check is that rotten super cap) and NAOMI2 from Japan (no description, hoping for something easy like fans!) from Japan sent this week. I know how fragile they can be, I just hope they make it okay. EMS is always safe. It's AusPost I worry about 8|

One of "my game shops" in the MD days had a 5 cart switcher that looked very much like a NG 4 or 6 slot. It cycled through the games just like a NEO, too. Damn I wanted that thing! They would not sell it to me because it was just a display device from SEGA Australia and they didn't own it.
Sounds like Sega Mega Tech hardware. Not sure about reliability since they are stupid rare but I have seen a couple of repair logs where the customs are bad. They can be swapped out from consoles though :)

I've fixed a whole bunch of 4 slots and a few have had a burnt pin on the edge connector, always on +5 rail.

I assume the 6 slot will be similar and you can expect that at least some of the RAM will be dead. Most likely fast video RAM will be bad and possibly the main video RAM or colour RAM.

If it boots at all even with errors, that's always a good sign. Get rid of the battery ASAP and neutralise corrosion if any. You may need to repair traces in the area if there is corrosion or it won't read any carts.

I have spares of all the customs and stuff on MVS scrap boards that are sadly not repairable so if you want me to take a look, let me know. I still have a spare 4 slot for sale too if you want a working multi slot board.

One of "my game shops" in the MD days had a 5 cart switcher that looked very much like a NG 4 or 6 slot. It cycled through the games just like a NEO, too. Damn I wanted that thing! They would not sell it to me because it was just a display device from SEGA Australia and they didn't own it.
Sounds like Sega Mega Tech hardware. Not sure about reliability since they are stupid rare but I have seen a couple of repair logs where the customs are bad. They can be swapped out from consoles though :)

I've fixed a whole bunch of 4 slots and a few have had a burnt pin on the edge connector, always on +5 rail.

I assume the 6 slot will be similar and you can expect that at least some of the RAM will be dead. Most likely fast video RAM will be bad and possibly the main video RAM or colour RAM.

If it boots at all even with errors, that's always a good sign. Get rid of the battery ASAP and neutralise corrosion if any. You may need to repair traces in the area if there is corrosion or it won't read any carts.

I have spares of all the customs and stuff on MVS scrap boards that are sadly not repairable so if you want me to take a look, let me know. I still have a spare 4 slot for sale too if you want a working multi slot board.
That would be awesome, thank you!

Absolutely interested in a 4 slot if this thing is toast, too.

Some photos. The battery looks fine for the monent, from what I can see anyway.

Attachments

• received_2607920042813602.jpeg
    received_2607920042813602.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 177
  • received_498600274151796.jpeg
    received_498600274151796.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 180
  • received_608721586651659.jpeg
    received_608721586651659.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 177
That photo gives us some really bad news unfortunately.

The ground and 5v pins are all burnt out, that's not a good sign since it means they have shorted together.

You might get lucky and it's all happened on the edge connector itself so the pins are toast and not the board but it's very likely that board is 100% fried :(

There is a separate power connector on 4 and 6 slot boards so it they can be connected and the board fired up with the trashed pins on the edge, but I'd be checking to see if the traces are burnt out first.

Meh, kind of what I expected :( I will be glad to have it on hand to see what it does, if anything, when powered on. Will have to wait for the 4/6 slot jamma adaptor to get here from Canada before I can try it anyway. At least I know there is currently a 4 slot available "somewhere" if the poor 6 slot is sent to the grave. ;)

Back