What's new
I formatted with disc utility, copied the files over, then used terminal to remove the junk files. -or at least attempted to.

This process is exactly what I did when I first got the kit, with the only change being that the OS had changed.

I'll post the commands I used later this evening.

Hmm well it turns out that I was using OS X Yosemite when I originally put the multi together, although it was an earlier version.

Anyway, here is what I was using to show the hidden files in OS X

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

- (to re-hide hidden files afterwards);

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false ; killall Finder

I used the following to remove the junk files;

To get into the directory

cd /Volumes/CPS2

The code to remove the junk files;

rm -rf ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ .fseventsd/

Closed Terminal and ejected the SD Card.

Thank you! I'll do some testing this weekend to try and nail a down a working solution for us Mac folk.

As a fellow mac user, who more or less refuses to deal with Linux/Windows except for gaming and servers, I feel your pain.

In general, on mac, one should watch out for any files in a removable media directory intended for general usage that start in either .XXXXX or ._XXXXX
The command listed "rm -rf ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ .fseventsd/" is good, but there are commonly other automatically created files as well.
MacOS has a horrible habit of cluttering up drives with these invisible files although they're moderately important from a mac point of view.
It'd be ideal if removable FAT32 drives were simply exempt from allowing finder to create these files, and instead force automatic deletion instead of the Trash, not support labels, not store folder view modes, etc.
Of course this STILL wouldn't help the issue of folders copied from somewhere else in the system that might already have these files, so the problem would still manifest itself under other circumstances...

Best course of action at current is to literally ls -la the card, and rm ANYTHING that starts with . or ._ BUT DON'T rm . OR .. THEMSELVES!

oh well :)

Sorry I am a little thick.

Is there solution for mac?

I just tried formatting a 32gb sandisk to MS-DOS (FAT32) and extracted the roll up pack to to it. I used terminal to get to the sd removed all the hidden files so there was only `.` `..` and `games` on the card. Tried turning on the the system and I get an all white screen.

The OS is Yosemite 10.10.5 (early 2011 laptop)

I used disk utility to format the card. Is the a way to do it from the CLI, would that be better?

In the disk utility GUI my card is nested in what looks like another card called "31.9 GB Apple SDXC Reader Media". Is that just my computers card reader?

I bought a refurbished Windows machine, basically for this (and its dvd burner). It should be here in a couple days. I have not used windows in about 10 years so I'll be interested to see how that goes. I did not want to run Bootcamp. It'll be useful to have a windows machine. I think a while back when I was trying to make saturn back ups they required windows as well.

Help would be appreciated.

cwx2

I loaded my CPS2 multi card on my Mac so I can help here:

Download the SD Association formatter here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Format your card then load your files onto it, you then need to locate your SD card volume name and go into a Terminal and run

dot_clean /Volumes/sdcardvolumenamehere

Which gets rid of the stupid hidden ._ folders MacOSX creates

I loaded my CPS2 multi card on my Mac so I can help here:

Download the SD Association formatter here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Format your card then load your files onto it, you then need to locate your SD card volume name and go into a Terminal and run

dot_clean /Volumes/sdcardvolumenamehere

Which gets rid of the stupid hidden ._ folders MacOSX creates
hmm I downloaded the SDA formatter, reformatted the card, extracted to my card, ran the `dot_clean/Volumes/volumeName` command and still same result...

it's a white screen which I thought those were A and B board connection issue, but I've double checked that as well all pins are good and its pressed in. Kit pins look good.

I think the windows machine will get here soon so I can try that.

Make sure the small interconnect pcb is not backwards.

So I got my very first Windows machine today. If you have any recommendations for software optimized or exclusively for Windows OS lets hear it.

Before I started monkeying with the new machine, I wanted to double check everything else, and I found the interconnect pcb was actually only about half pushed on all the way (Yes its facing the correct way). So I firmed up the connection and tried again with same result `all white screen` + `HAVE FUN` message on the little LCD.

Then I went to the new Windows machine formatted card to FAT32, downloaded 7-zip, and the BASE roll-up back, used 7-zip to extract straight to card.

Still same result, tried 2nd microSD, still same result. I tried flashing a couple games each time.

I have made sure all A to B board pins were sitting well, all the kit connections I believe are sitting well now also.

I shorted exe5, and the other caps nearby. What can I do with the multimeter to be absolutely sure those caps are shorted?

I am not sure what else to try, I can provide pics or video, if that would help.

I unfortunately do not have any other B boards to test to ensure it is not an A board problem.

best
cwx2

I think you may need to try to find someone with another A and B board for you to try. It seems the kit is working properly.

What can I do with the multimeter to be absolutely sure those caps are shorted?
I think you may need to try to find someone with another A and B board for you to try. It seems the kit is working properly.
The A board was working just fine before I went to install the kit, I am using a MvC -6 B board, which was also working before the battery become no longer functional.

My cps1 hyper-fighting is working so I Know the rest of my set up is functioning.

EDIT: Could it be the SD card I am using? I will update with video soon.

Last edited:

again, is there a way to see if a cap still holds charge (encryption data) with a multimeter?

How new is your PCB? You have no wires connected for key flashing so if you have the newer firmware, you're not flashing keys and it's not booting because it's suicided

How new is your PCB? You have no wires connected for key flashing so if you have the newer firmware, you're not flashing keys and it's not booting because it's suicided
By PCB do you mean the multi kit or my CPSII hardware?

There's a few printed circuit boards in play here.

I originally ordered my multi mid fall 2017, it came to California but my apartment number was not on the box so they sent it back. I had Aldo, hold of on sending it back immediately because I wanted to get in on the batch of MVS multi's, and I figured save on shipping and send them together.

Is there a way to check how new my multi is? Or what firmware I am working with?

If you are using the newest roll up pack without the key writing wires then it will not boot. So try writing one of the hacks in the game list. Like MVC Unlocked. They are decrypted so you don't need keys for them to run. If it runs then we just found the issue.

Shoot! I got confused and reformatted and added the 4 encrypted games from the key-writing thread. Still white screen, Now I am going back and redoing the formatting and extracting to try `MvC-Unlocked`. Keep my finger crossed.

If it works, follow the instructions to upgrade your firmware and install the key writing wires as going forward this is the correct setup :)

Back