What's new
If it works, follow the instructions to upgrade your firmware and install the key writing wires as going forward this is the correct setup :)
Or if you don't feel comfortable doing the soldering then let someone else do it since the pads are fragile. Or we can provide you with an unencrypted set to use.

So I believe I have been dealing with 2 issues. Poor A to B board connections. I seemed to have resolved that but something still feels buggy.

Then the firmware update. When I was getting good connect. I was able to get hacked Roms to boot. Yay! So I will go head with the update. I am comfortable making the joins and have a solder station. Reading this extensive firmware update guide now.

EDIT: how do I check my current firmware? Do any of ya'll assist in updating firmware? I do not have a way to interface with the multi.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like there's dodgy pins between your A and B boards.

The thread I referenced earlier has all the other information you need :)

Sounds to me like there's dodgy pins between your A and B boards.

The thread I referenced earlier has all the other information you need :)
Is it worth paying the $20 to get the board to interface the multi to pc? Is there a way to tell what firmware I have without an interface board, maybe I just need to install the wires? This board is pretty recent.

In the meantime, were there romsets for older firmware versions? If so I am having trouble locating them.

Thanks again fellas. I appreciate all of your help greatly.

Your multi should be new enough that you can just update by dropping the update file on the root of your SD card and power on the multi.

Your multi should be new enough that you can just update by dropping the update file on the root of your SD card and power on the multi.
Just to be clear. I am reading through a few different threads and I am getting confused. Is the update file the one called "flash.zip" in the first post of this thread?

New CPS2 Multigame Firmware with Key Writing!!!!!!

Also Do I need to reformat the card, extract "flash.zip" to card, run the update, then reformat and extract games again. Or can I just ad the file to the root along with the game directory. Sorry I am thick.

Thanks for the help, truly
Cwx2

All good. To do the update the update needs to be the only thing on the card. So reformat and put the update onto the card by itself, insert and power on the CPS2.

If it's successful, the update file will disappear, reformat card again and load games roll up pack onto card, install key writing wires and power on.

All good. To do the update the update needs to be the only thing on the card. So reformat and put the update onto the card by itself, insert and power on the CPS2.

If it's successful, the update file will disappear, reformat card again and load games roll up pack onto card, install key writing wires and power on.
When using Windows 10 do you leave the Quick Format check box checked or do you uncheck it?

Also is the "flash.zip" file the one with the update?

OK I've believe I have done the proper firmware update and just made the joins for the 4 wires I am little worried I may have damaged the board a bit near the pad for the data pin. The games are copying now, wish me luck.

I am still getting something finnecky between A and B boards, but aside from that it is working.

ONE SEXY PIECE OF HARDWARE!!!

Thanks again to Mitsu, Darksoft, xodaraP, and @ekorz back when I was first getting going with the project.

Nice! Glad to see another CPS2 multi out there

Are you using the original shells? If so are you using the clips to hold them together? You need to cut out one of the posts to make it all fit properly if you haven't already.

I've found I get a few connectivity issues with the board mounted vertically if not using the clips to hold the boards together

Are you using the original shells? If so are you using the clips to hold them together?
Yeah OG shells, A Shell has damage where one of the metal feet would have been.
On B board I snapped off the post already, but with the little lcd board I am not getting the B board to close all the way.

I took the B board off tried pressing the shells together then replacing the B board and re-flashing about 5 times before it worked.

I actually was planning on not having any of the shells and not having to run the wretched loud fan. But I saw over on one of the other threads a quiet one to get, so that seems like the move. How necessary is the fan?

A couple times it was a white screen, A couple times it was sort of loaded but like half the images were missing, then another time it was black screen, then another time it was an odd pattern.

But it seems to be working great now.

Last edited:
You can get the case closed by snapping the top part of the clip off on the end of the ribbon cable connected to the multi.

The fan is very necessary. There's no ventilation for the boards because they're inside a case which means the heat just circulates in the case - heat seems to be the thing that kills the customs on CPS1 and it's just not worth not having the fan. Especially with your nice new multi installed.

If you have it inside a cab you don't really notice it, if you're running it on a bench/supergun I guess it would be annoying but as others have pointed out, easy and reasonably cheap to get a replacement

After poodling along with my Multi having no problems for some time, I now have a further issue.

I have had SFZ3 loaded up for an age, so I decided to change games, went through the motions and the lcd said that it was all done, I then turned off my supergun and turned it on again and got presented with a garbled screen of numbers.

Since then I have tried loading up different games and restarting, but I either get a game load error on the LCD, or I get this numbers on screen dealy.

Up till now, all my problems seem to have been related to connection issues, but I have the feeling that this issue may be some error with regards to games being written, either through corruption on the SD card, or issues with writing to memory. I say that without any expertise mind!

Anyway, here is a screen shot of the 'error screen' (it is not always the same numbers). Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

KIjaZBj.jpg

I would just go through the whole reformatting and extracting cycle on the sd, and double check every connection between A board, B board, and multi and connector boards. Do you have all the shells and clips on? My hunch is boards not pressed all the way together somewhere and not an SD issue.

Yeah I plan to do that tomorrow, but the thing is, from when I got it working last time I kept it permanently connected to one A board, which has clips, and I had been playing on it for most of the evening perfectly fine, up until i decided to change games.

I thought maybe that particular error screen may ring bells.

This very thread was started on an issue with the format of the SD Card of course, but I don't think i ever saw the numbers error screen.

The error screens I saw when I had connection issues were missing lines, jumbled graphics, but this screen is completely different.

I was in fact due to update the SD card anyway - and in fact instal an SD Card extension cable too. Needless to say I am not keen on revisiting reformatting the SD Card on my Mac :o/

The load error seems to be a sd card/failing sd card issue.

Yeah hopefully that's the case. Think I'll pick up a new sd card, is there a list of suitable cards? I have an old version of the kit, and understand that it didn't like all the cards - think a class 4 4gb samsung was recommended, although you can't seem to get those much places these days.

Yeah hopefully that's the case. Think I'll pick up a new sd card, is there a list of suitable cards? I have an old version of the kit, and understand that it didn't like all the cards - think a class 4 4gb samsung was recommended, although you can't seem to get those much places these days.
Hold off buying one, I think I might have a spare Sandisk Ultra card. If so, I’ll load it up, post it, and you can sort me out next time we hook up ;)

Back