What's new
Mine was at about 19V too. I did try hooking the PSU to a Variac and testing it at 18V, 17V, and 16V with no luck.
Tested mine at 17V as well (plugged it into a step-down) with no luck.

Ruled out everything that's not the amp though by plugging my CPS2 setup into my Behringer amp... The problem definitely lies in the Q-Sound amp somewhere. 2 NOS amps and neither work T_T.

Now that is odd. I wonder what we're doing wrong?
Not sure. Got my transformer seller to send me another and they're taking this one back. Shouldn't be outputting 20v anyway.

I was reading on another forum that the PCB has a 10% tolerance and shuts down when overloaded. I don't know this for a fact, but it's something I've read.
Did you ever get yours working, rewrite?
I absolutely have not gotten it working. I had 2 NOS amps, couldn't get either to work. I now have just the one, still sitting in the closet :/. If anyone has ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Same here. Something tells me we're either missing something, or these don't function like the stand-alone stereo amps that we though they were.

Just to confirm - did the red LED illuminate on either of your amps? They've got onboard fuses, so it'd be unlucky if the NOS ones had both been fried.
Below is a pic of one of my setups with the original isolation transformer. What's being used to power yours?

Also, I've got another 2 x amps running from a single power supply (i'm still searching for another PS!) and they both work fine.
Once it's powered up, it seems to work just like a standard amp, although inputting a standard line out will possibly blow the speakers! ;)

IMG_1237.JPG

Yes, the red light turns on when mine is powered on. No sound though. Both I and rewrite are using aftermarket PSUs though.

What do you mean that you can't plug in a regular line-out?

What do you mean that you can't plug in a regular line-out?
Sorry, I meant line level.

When I first got an AMP, I tested it out on my desk using a couple of small speakers and standalone CD player unit. I connected from its line level/out phono connections to the Q-Sound AMP.
Pressed play and damn near blew the little speakers up as it was so loud!

Another question - do either of you get any sort of feedback from the speakers when powering the AMP? I have a feeling that a couple of my AMPs aren't properly grounded, so I hear a bit of a click/pop/crackle from the speakers when I power it on.

Likewise, If I forget to plug a CPS2 board in, and power up the AMP, I get a nice continuous background hum from the speakers until I plug something in. Touching the unplugged phono connectors increases the speaker hum. Not good to do, but proves that it's working.

If neither of you are getting any sort of sound/feedback from your speakers, I can only think it's the power supplies, or just a massive case of being unlucky with the Q-Sound pcbs

Another question - do either of you get any sort of feedback from the speakers when powering the AMP? I have a feeling that a couple of my AMPs aren't properly grounded, so I hear a bit of a click/pop/crackle from the speakers when I power it on....
​I got no sound at all from speakers connected to mine.

You guys need me to take any readings on my cab? Let me know.
Yes! Could you please take a reading of the voltage that the stock PSU sends to the amp? Rewrite and I purchased our PSUs based on specs posted elsewhere, but I don't think anyone has ever actually posted the actual voltage supplied by the stock Q-Sound PSU.

Shoot, I took the readings over the weekend. Had them both memorized. Then went to post them here and the board was down. Now I forget what the readings were. I'll stab at it again later this weekend.

Shoot, I took the readings over the weekend. Had them both memorized. Then went to post them here and the board was down. Now I forget what the readings were. I'll stab at it again later this weekend.
Did you get a chance to check it out again? :D

Back