Capcom Q-Sound amp help?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• You could make a voltage divider out of resistors. See here:

learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/voltage-dividers

However, personally I wouldn't, as per this:

Application Dont’s
      As tempting as it may be to use a voltage divider to step down, say, a 12V power supply to 5V, voltage dividers should not be used to supply power to a load.
      Any current that the load requires is also going to have to run through R1. The current and voltage across R1 produce power, which is dissipated in the form of heat. If that power exceeds the rating of the resistor (usually between ⅛W and 1W), the heat begins to become a major problem, potentially melting the poor resistor.
      That doesn’t even mention how inefficient a voltage-divider-power-supply would be. Basically, don’t use a voltage divider as a voltage supply for anything that requires even a modest amount of power. If you need to drop down a voltage to use it as a power supply, look into voltage regulators or switching supplies.
    • After reading a bit, you're definitely right that it's dangerous to use resistors for dropping voltage with high power sources like PSUs.

I found what may be the perfect option though. Creative INSPIRE speakers took 13.5V AC (5A), and their PSU is cheap on eBay. It's model US-1450. Even though the PSU isn't labeled as AC output, I verified in a few different sources that it is in fact AC (not DC like most PSUs). I got one for $13/shipped. I can't test it out until I move home in a few years though.
      SmokeMonster Patreon
      YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Darksoft: CPS2, STV, MVS
      Supergun: HAS
      PVMs: 2030, 1944Q, 3 x 8041Q
      PCBs: 50ish | Sticks: 50ish

• SmokeMonster wrote:

After reading a bit, you're definitely right that it's dangerous to use resistors for dropping voltage with high power sources like PSUs.

I found what may be the perfect option though. Creative INSPIRE speakers took 13.5V AC (5A), and their PSU is cheap on eBay. It's model US-1450. Even though the PSU isn't labeled as AC output, I verified in a few different sources that it is in fact AC (not DC like most PSUs). I got one for $13/shipped. I can't test it out until I move home in a few years though.

I put a bid on one ending in a few days. Will post success/failure whenever it comes in.
      Cabs: Cyberlead II | Mini Cute | Neo 19 | MVS-U4 | Vewlix F | Vewlix Dia | Sega City | Jubeat | WMMT3 | Egret 2 | Egret 3 | Aero Table | Sound Voltex IV w/ REAL Generator | Gunbarl dedicated | Megalo 410 (en route)

On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2.
    • I have a Capcom Impress and I do know that when I used a non CPSII board with it that had a stereo output, the amp wouldn't work unless I switched the patch cable from the loom back over from the stereo output to the mono output, so that the audio came from the Jamma edge. Note the left channel has two cables to the right channel's one. Also note my super shitty patch job when I bust the cable recently.

I also recently ordered one of the Q-Sound amps from eBay that matches the one in my cabinet, so I'd have a spare. Its not arrived yet, but if I can help at all, let me know

Images
      • impress.png

858.11 kB, 2,848×1,634, viewed 46 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by tate&yoko ().

• Have you tried plugging a set of working RCA cables straight from the output of the CPS2 to the input connectors on the amp, bypassing all of the other connectors in between?

Personally, I would wait for the other amp, because if that isn't working either, you can rule out the amp and then focus your efforts on the wiring.

EDIT: according to the pics and the wiring schematic, power for the amp is just taken from 12VDC pin on the jamma connector. No need for a transformer, guys!

The post was edited 2 times, last by nem ().