What's new

RandomRetro

Professional
Reaction score
So I am having to store some more PCBs, and wanted to make sure moisture stayed the hell away. Storing in antistatic bags, wrapped in padding, and in boxes on their side. Was thinking about putting some silica packets in the boxes to soak up some of the potential humidity.

Good idea, bad idea, or better approaches vs. silica packets?

It probably doesn't hurt, but I'm not sure how effective it will be. Aren't the silica packets usually inside the bags?

in australia we have these things called closet camel which you put in the cupboard with your clothes and it soaks up all the extra moisture. i cant see how using one of these moisture capture things could be a bad thing -- except maybe once they fill up with liquid, the liquid has nowhere to go.. Probably best to try and lock them into sealed bags or even buy a vacuum sealer thing and vacuum seal them for ultimate water protection.

It wouldn't hurt one bit. But........

More important than silica bags is the environment you store your PCB's in. You'll want to keep them out of the garage and attic where there is serious seasonal (and daily) temperature fluctuations. Keep them indoors in the mid 60's-70's year-round, in sealed antistatic bags. Padded, boxed-up, and situated on end is all +EV. This isn't easy to do since indoor space is at a premium. Label them 3x so you don't have to dismantle your storing efforts: 1) label the box, 2) lable the anti-static bag, and 3) label the PCB.

Last tip, keep them somewhere high so they can't be easily bumped and damaged.

Back