What's new

Hydreigon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be extremely helpful for documentation purposes. System 246C and 256 is "required" as those aren't fully documented but the others would be nice. I forgot the most important component that stands out from 2X6 based hardware is the use of additional microcontrollers/MCUs. We will refer to these additional MCU(s) as the "subcpu". It's possible the main PS2 CPU needs to communicate with the subcpu for the system to boot and uses its serial port for JVS (much akin to Namco System 23) . This is what I could figure out so far for all System 246 revisions:

246 (Driving)
  • Main board: PS2 Mainboard COH-H30000/H31000
  • Sub board: System 246 MOTHER PCB
  • Subcpu: Toshiba TMP95C061 TLCS-900-series 16-bit MCU
  • Notes: All boards, main and I/O, are located inside the metal cage. The subcpu uses its second serial port to communicate with the STR feedback pcb (not JVS). Sub board can also use additional ram pcbs.
246A
  • Sub board: System 246 MOTHER(A) PCB
  • Subcpu: Toshiba TMP95C061 TLCS-900 16-bit MCU
  • Notes: Smaller version of 246 (Driving). Sub board is identical to 246 (Driving) but "replaces" the subcpu's second serial port connector with JAMMA I/O connector.
246B
  • Sub board: System 246 PMOTHER PCB
  • Subcpu #1: Toshiba TMP95C061 TLCS-900 16-bit MCU
  • Subcpu #2: Toshiba TMP87PH47U TLCS-870 8-bit MCU with 16k internal EPROM
  • Notes: Designed as a 'universal' system opting for compatibility between a lot of games. Additional ram has been added to the sub board to remove the need for additional ram pcbs. Adds an option for ethernet based networking, an Admtek ADM8513, possibly connected to subcpu #2.
246C
  • Main board: System 246 Main PCB
  • Sub board: None
  • Subcpu: Not known (needs picture verification)
  • Notes: Basically a 246B but all major components of the main and sub boards are combined into one pcb. Because all games that normally run on 246B are also compatible with 246C, it's likely 246C uses the same two subcpus as 246B.
  • Main board: System 256 Main/Main(B) PCB
  • Subcpu: Not known (needs picture verification)
  • Notes: Uses the integrated EE+GS CXD9833GB chip used in later PS2 models (and earlier PS3 models). Adds a custom expansion bus for two boards; EX CARD and EX SOUND. Removes ATAPI commands and the iLink port. Has a jumper to set the mode, 256/246+, to run 246 games that do not require ATAPI commands. It's possible the subcpu(s) used on 256 is/are different due to the major changes from 246C.
S256
  • Main board: Super System 256 Main PCB
  • Notes: Only runs Time Crisis 4. Main board layout is identical to S256 but with a higher clocked EE+GS, (maybe) more ram, different bios, and mode jumper removed.
That will be it for me as most of this info will be reworked for a different thread involving 2X6 documentation.

Not yet. Hopefully may get some pics of a 256 pcb (from a Tekken 5 because I plan to do preventative maintenance on this pcb by cleaning and replacing the fans).

Back