Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Sega Naomi Maple Adapters to Allow Use of Dreamcast Controllers and VMUs

There are two options:

Do It Yourself Kit: $15 plus shipping
---This includes just the pcb and the two connectors. You get the DC controller ports yourself from an old broken Dreamcast and solder it together.

Fully assembled adapter: $50 + shipping.
---These will be on a first come, first served basis since broken Dreamcasts don't magically fall out of my ass. You can get on the waiting list and I will sell them in order as I acquire dead Dreamcasts and harvest the ports. Contact me to order these.

L1RRhGT.jpg

I had them made in white and red because it is similar to the Naomi logo color scheme. These allow you to use Dreamcast controllers or the Dreamcast controller to play games that support the use of DC controllers. This is virtually a MUST if you want to play Typing of the Dead or Lupin 3: The Typing. You just plug the keyboards in and they work by default. The other games require the controller to be turned on in the game test mode.

This thread discusses some of the games that work with the DC controls and the extent of how they are used:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26535

It's probably worth noting that if you buy two DIY kits you can probably turn your own profit by selling an assembled pcb since each Dreamcast harvests two DC controller ports.

Hi !

Its Possible to use the Adapter with a Dreamcast Racing Wheel ?
I Need a solution for that ... i want to play Initial D on my Naomi Cab :)

Greetz

Markus

Hi !

Its Possible to use the Adapter with a Dreamcast Racing Wheel ?
I Need a solution for that ... i want to play Initial D on my Naomi Cab :)

Greetz

Markus
Others have asked me this but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. You can buy one of my S-JIHP pcbs and mod a PC racing wheel to play racing games on your Naomi. I do it all the time.

Hi,
I was wondering if I can use it with an official DC keyboard to play the typing of the dead on a Naomi
If yes I would be interested in one DIY kit :) how much would be shipping to France?

Hi,
I was wondering if I can use it with an official DC keyboard to play the typing of the dead on a Naomi
If yes I would be interested in one DIY kit :) how much would be shipping to France?
Yes. It is designed for DC keyboards. If you want tracking the cheapest shipping is $26. If you don't want tracking I can probably ship it for around $12.

Has anyone ever compiled a list of supported games or is that VMU list the closest thing out there?

Has anyone ever compiled a list of supported games or is that VMU list the closest thing out there?
That AO thread is the closest thing out there right now unfortunately. I'd love to see a full list.

I tried to get MvC2 to recognize a VMU with all characters unlocked from the DC version but didn't have any luck. It seems like there was a rumor this was possible, which would be awesome so you wouldn't have to input the codes.

Hi,
As Mitsu says, it'll work fine, but bear in mind that the Naomi version of TOTD expects a Japanese keyboard layout so some characters may not be where you expect them to be (especially if yours is French).

That AO thread is the closest thing out there right now unfortunately. I'd love to see a full list.
maybe once i get back from holiday I'll go through all the net boot games and see which ones work.

Hi,
As Mitsu says, it'll work fine, but bear in mind that the Naomi version of TOTD expects a Japanese keyboard layout so some characters may not be where you expect them to be (especially if yours is French).
I ordered a Japanese Keyboard few weeks ago :)
From what I saw in the pictures it's a QWERTY equivalent
Once I'll receive it I'll do some test and keep you posted
Thank you for the tip

Hi! Are these still available? I'd like to order 2 please....

I still have DIY kits. PM me for details.

I went through all of the Net-Bootable games and tested Controller compatibility (among other things). these are the games that let you use a controller for gameplay:

Alien Front - semi support, seems to incomplete and interferes with analog controls
Akatsuki Blitz kampf Auf Asche
Border Down
Chaos Field
La Keyboard - keyboard only
Lupin The Typing - keyboard only
Mob Suit Gundam Fed. Vs Zeon
Mob Suit Gundam Fed. Vs Zeon DX
Musapeys Choco Marker
Senko no Ronde
Senko no Ronde SP
SlashOut
Typing of the Dead - keyboard only
Quiz Keitai Q Mode
Radirgy
Shooting Love 2007: Exzeal

The AO thread listed Heavy Metal Geomatrix as allowing you to use a controller but the inputs were ignored when I tried to use it.
while I didn't test VMUs on every game, the few that I did attempt to test couldn't see the VMUs I put in the controller, I'm guessing most if not all VMU games expect it to be plugged directly into the Maple buss and not plugged in through a controller (or maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

Nice work, you're missing some though. All(?) of the Capcom games allow controller input over Maple bus, or at least I know for sure that Marvel vs Capcom 2 does. Some of them require you to enable it through the test menu.

Games that support the VMU allow it to be plugged in through a controller.

Nice work, you're missing some though. All(?) of the Capcom games allow controller input over Maple bus, or at least I know for sure that Marvel vs Capcom 2 does. Some of them require you to enable it through the test menu.

I was not aware that many games required you to enable support in the test menu, all games I listed above work naturally without that.

I was not aware that many games required you to enable support in the test menu, all games I listed above work naturally without that.
Yeah there's a controller type test menu option in some titles, though I forget exactly what it's called.

here's an updated list:
Alien Front - semi support, seems to incomplete and interferes with analog controls
Akatsuki Blitz kampf Auf Asche
Border Down
Capcom vs SNK 2000
Capcom vs SNK 2000 Pro
Capcom vs SNK 2001
Chaos Field
Giant Gram 2 - VMU only
Giant Gram 3 - VMU only
GunSpike
Heavy Metal Geomatrix
La Keyboard - keyboard only
Lupin The Typing - keyboard only
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mob Suit Gundam Fed. Vs Zeon
Mob Suit Gundam Fed. Vs Zeon DX
Musapeys Choco Marker
PowerStone 2
Project Justice Rival Schools 2
Quiz Keitai Q Mode
Radirgy
Senko no Ronde
Senko no Ronde SP
Shooting Love 2007: Exzeal
SlashOut
Spawn
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper
Typing of the Dead - keyboard only

Very nice! Thanks for putting that together for everyone.

Back