What's new
Do you still need an I/o hooked up to use this? I have all the components I need except for an I/o and would like to play a game, but I think I’m out of luck until an I/o shows up.
You can go here to see a list of which games support the maple buss ports: NAOMI Net-Boot BIOS and I/O Board Compatibility Chart

then click the google docs link to see which games will allow booting without an IO board connected.

While lots of games do support the maple buss ports, very few games will allow you to boot without an io board connected.

looking quickly it looks like MAYBE only 2 games would allow this
-Heavy Metal Geomatrix
-Musapeys Choco Marker

no guarantee though as I haven't tested it myself.

Haha, that is a pitiful list. Guess I’ll have to wait a little longer. Thanks for the link.

So I was looking through the manual for King of Route 66 and I noticed there's a Sega MAPLE Buss adapter in this cab on page 84
http://store.playitamusements.com/Manuals/Route66 STD.pdf

I'm guessing that this is using the Dreamcast Microphone for the CB radio feature in the game... anyone own a NAOMI 2 and Dreamcast mic able to test and confirm?
I finally got Route 66 booted in my 18 Wheeler cab. I've got the mitsu Maple adapter, so I will check out the Microphone functionality soon and let you know if ti works. I just got the Dreamcast Microphone today in the mail.
I have a Route66 cabinet. Do you want I check someting inside ?
There is a Naomi Arcade Route 66 Wiring Harness on eBay now... you can see the pictures of the maple setup pretty clearly.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 706
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 775
nice pictures, that looks like a straight off the shelf Dreamcast Microphone adapter. Let us know how yours works out.

No dice out of either port. The CB-MIC RECOGNITION screen had no sense of input from the Mic.

I wonder if they send PWM values down the mic port. I'll have to track down a picture of the original microphone...

Attachments

• DjYeIwYX0AUePma.jpg
    DjYeIwYX0AUePma.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 658
Aaaand, yet another thing I need to figure out and add to my (soon to finally own) Naomi setup.

I'm assuming you can use some games that require analog with a dreamcast controller?
Also I've seen some mods that house a VMU. What's up with those?

I'm assuming you can use some games that require analog with a dreamcast controller?
Very very few games support the Dreamcast controller for actual game play.
I think (while still rare) the more common feature is supporting the VMU memory card for character unlocks (like MvC2 and CvS2 cross support with the DC versions).

Here you can see the official Sega/Capcom panel (it's also super rare) for connecting your DC controllers to the cab.
Panel.jpg

Inside that little spring loaded door are two controller ports.

Last edited by a moderator:
time to bust her open! I had thought the same, and was *hoping* it would work as is. I'll check in after I crack the seal.

I'm sure this is already *known*, but inside the mic adapter you find an S4 Maple Bus 315-6183 chip

http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php/topic,14300.msg213618.html

Pinouts attached below:
Untitled.jpeg

The actual VMU port pinouts are here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070604174216/http://www.maushammer.com/vmu.html
LPT Pin In/Out LPT Signal Name VMU Pin VMU Name #define
------- ------ --------------- ------- --------------------- -----------
2 I/O Data Bit 0 12 PC2VMU clock OUT_CLK
3 I/O Data Bit 1 10 PC2VMU data OUT_DATA
4 I/O Data Bit 2 4 PC2VMU delayed data OUT_DLYDATA
5 I/O Data Bit 3 6 PC2VMU handshake OUT_HSK
10 I -ACK *** 3 VMU2PC clock IN_CLK
11 I BUSY *** 5 VMU2PC data IN_DATA
13 I SLCT *** 11 VMU2PC delayed data IN_DLYDATA
18-25 --- Ground 7,8 Ground
1-14 Make sure these are connected to each other
so that the VMU's drivers are enabled.

This detail is for a parallel port connection of course, but will hopefully get me going.
img1d5d4228zik1zj.gif

Here is the schematic from the Route 66 Naomi Upright, it shows how the Maple stuff is wired in.
Untitled.jpeg

Last edited:
I figured I would take one for the team and just buy that Route 66 harness so I could get a closer look at the maple adapter... I got lucky a few days later the Route 66 microphone I'd been searching for magically surfaced in the wild (on eBay also).
Untitled.jpeg

Here are the close up pics of the microphone adapter / harness bits. It is indeed using an off the shelf DreamCast adapter FWIW.

Djs10tgW4AAu0t0.jpg
Djs10tdW4AIS_dM.jpg

The next step is identifying what exactly it is plugging into.
Untitled.jpeg

Having looked at a few Naomi1 manuals, I suspect the "840-0023D-02" is just a Naomi2 with a specific region setting. I have an "840-0091D-10" now. (I've since confirmed that my current board is an "OTHERS" region Initial D Naomi per this manual http://store.playitamusements.com/Manuals/Initial D 3.pdf)

Untitled 2.jpeg

Likewise I never noticed that CN7 maple bus has 11 pins, where as CN6 only has 10. I am guessing this connector plugs into CN6 since the diagram shows a 10 pin connector.

Update:
I just went a head and YOLO'd it up, I removed the Microphone Enable and ground from the JAMMA edge (guess this was from a DLX cab vs a Naomi Upright?) and pulled the cable out of the bundle.
DjtZcRIXcAgx0QC.jpg

I'll try to connect it to my New Net City control panel pinouts so it can make its way to the JVS IO board.
Untitled.jpeg

I'm guessing the AMP connectors use a familiar pinout even though this is a "driving" cab. Pin 50 should go to GND, and pin 95 to "MIC SW". Once I get it connected and the Mic shows up, I'll check back in.
Sega-cp-cabinet-pinout.jpg

Attachments

• Djs10tjX4AEf6aZ.jpg
    Djs10tjX4AEf6aZ.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 882
  • Djs10tiXcAEhFr8.jpg
    Djs10tiXcAEhFr8.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
@Mitsurugi-w I can put this detail somewhere else if you want! I'm trying not to pollute your thread with a necro bump on the KoR66 maple microphone. Let me know if you want me to follow up elsewhere.

Meanwhile, my goal for the weekend is to get the pinout sorted back to the JVS io from the control panel connectors. I don't recall seeing it mapped out for driving cabs elsewhere.

This is a photo of what I'm looking at in this dusty old thing!
DjwyTK7WwAApZpb.jpg

I don't recall seeing it mapped out for driving cabs elsewhere.
That's because there really isn't a standard, there are enough differences between games that you really need to wire it for the specific game you're targeting.

Understood on the standards. I know people mapped out the ADC numbers for a number of games, just not seen that go further to actual connector pinout. I'm acquiring a number of these cabs now, so I will add detail as I can per game.

Back on topic, Wish me luck! The microphone is here.

update:
I noticed this in the manual - http://store.playitamusements.com/Manuals/Route66 STD.pdf

"In Dual Player Mode, in addition to the Voice Recognition system, vocal transmissions are possible between players. As with Single Player Mode, the MIC is operated by speaking into the Receiver while holding down the MIC button. The speaker’s voice is altered, producing a radio-like voice quality with realistic interference, and can be heard from the opponent’s cabinet. The Vocal Communications feature differs from the average CB-Radio transmission in that both parties use the radio communications device; both Players may make transmissions and hear the other through their respective vehicle cabinets."

Attachments

• Dj7iZK_W4AA5rIL.jpg
    Dj7iZK_W4AA5rIL.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
I figured I would take one for the team and just buy that Route 66 harness so I could get a closer look at the maple adapter... I got lucky a few days later the Route 66 microphone I'd been searching for magically surfaced in the wild (on eBay also).
Untitled.jpeg

Here are the close up pics of the microphone adapter / harness bits. It is indeed using an off the shelf DreamCast adapter FWIW.

Djs10tgW4AAu0t0.jpg
Djs10tdW4AIS_dM.jpg

The next step is identifying what exactly it is plugging into.
Untitled.jpeg

Having looked at a few Naomi1 manuals, I suspect the "840-0023D-02" is just a Naomi2 with a specific region setting. I have an "840-0091D-10" now. (I've since confirmed that my current board is an "OTHERS" region Initial D Naomi per this manual http://store.playitamusements.com/Manuals/Initial D 3.pdf)

Untitled 2.jpeg

Likewise I never noticed that CN7 maple bus has 11 pins, where as CN6 only has 10. I am guessing this connector plugs into CN6 since the diagram shows a 10 pin connector.

Update:
I just went a head and YOLO'd it up, I removed the Microphone Enable and ground from the JAMMA edge (guess this was from a DLX cab vs a Naomi Upright?) and pulled the cable out of the bundle.
DjtZcRIXcAgx0QC.jpg

I'll try to connect it to my New Net City control panel pinouts so it can make its way to the JVS IO board.
Untitled.jpeg

I'm guessing the AMP connectors use a familiar pinout even though this is a "driving" cab. Pin 50 should go to GND, and pin 95 to "MIC SW". Once I get it connected and the Mic shows up, I'll check back in.
Sega-cp-cabinet-pinout.jpg
Now I'm curios.... were you able to get the 839-1132 board connected to the Naomi CN6?

Sadly some of the OG's here felt the need to poke around at, and be snarky towards me a few months ago, and I lost interest in sharing the results. I think I tossed this onto a shelf and stopped caring about it as a result. I'll have to see where it wound up getting buried.

My personal momentum has been nice as of recently, and the razzing *here* has stopped, so I'll see if I can pick this back up and figure it out soon, and report back @hackcell.

Sorry! This basically got caught up in some other "drama" for lack of better explanation. Thankful it has subsided.

Back