What's new

vholfx

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I came across this 2 boards which are dead, but more than that, they don't exactly match pictures I find in google for this titles. I'll describe each one and I'll be grateful about any input you might have. The boards are not mine, so I can't dump the roms and check, so pictures will have to do for now.

First one is a dead (powers on but gives a blank screen) "Arabian Fight" (or so says the top label). However, a smaller label near the JAMMA edge says Golden Axe 2. Rom labels don't seem to match Arabian Fight or Golden Axe though, I could be wrong there. Could it be that it is an Arabian Fight converted to GA2? Does GA2 run in that board with no FD* processor? Since there is no FD processor I'm guessing the board is not just suicided, there must be something else wrong with it, right?

arabian_fight_golden_axe.jpg

Second board is a Dunk Shot, also dead, It powers on but just gives a blank screen. Again, no FD* processor (if I compare it to google images, there is an FD processor in place). There seems to be a missing daughter board at the bottom right corner, I don't know what that board is for, or if it is required for the game to work and that's why it's dead, any thoughts?

dunk_shot.jpg

The same guy also has a dead Golden Axe board, he says he tested the FD processor on another GA board and it worked there, so it's not suicided I'm assuming, if that's the case, it must be something else wrong with it. I'll leave the picture here because why not, but there is nothing I can do to diagnose it for now.

golden_axe.jpg

From your picture I can't read the labels on your Dunk Shot.
As of now only encrypted versions of this game are known to exist so either:
- you have an undumped unencrypted version
- you have a known encrypted version but you're missing the FD module in place of the standard 68000 CPU

From your picture I can't read the labels on your Dunk Shot.
As of now only encrypted versions of this game are known to exist so either:
- you have an undumped unencrypted version
- you have a known encrypted version but you're missing the FD module in place of the standard 68000 CPU
Option 1 would be nice but it means the board has other (potentially harder to fix) problems.
Option 2 would be nice because I could replace the 68000 for an FD module but then, why is the 68000 there in the first place?

Either way it's a gamble and this boards are from a local seller who's always asking a fortune for this boards. I might get the Golden Axe 2 / Arabian Fight board in hopes the security board is faulty and I can use encrypted roms. We'll see.

The 68000 on Dunk Shot isn't original. I can see it's a P8 (8MHz) while Sega installed 10Mhz. Maybe the module was faulty or missing and the previous owner thought a standard 68000 would do.
Can you take a closer pic of the romboard please?

Back