What's new

ChicksOnLeashes

Student
Reaction score
Hello! Looking for some suggestions...
Got this ST-V board which worked beautifully for about 3 days and now I'm having problems.
Going through the games list to check if they all work, some do, some don't.
Tried another SD card. Same games don't work.
Try another SD card, still the same games don't work.
Reformat the first SD card, and try again... Now there's major graphical issues!
Missing sprites, garbled graphics. Booting without cart, the ST-V logo is messssed up.
Retry the second SD card, same graphical issues!
IC27, IC29, and IC30 all come up as BAD now.
Tried giving her a little more voltage... up to 5.06. Nothing changed.
Press on listed IC chips, nothing.
Did a beautiful job reflowing both SH2 chips, tested, nothing changed.

Reflowed IC27, IC29, and IC30. Nothing changed.

Would it be possible to replace these IC chips??

VRAM under VDP1 comes up as bad in the secret test menu. Locks up after running tests as well.

Checked capacitors, none are bulging or leaking but have new caps to install on the way.

Didn't even move the board aside from clicking the SD cards into place and this happens! Hahaha

Bought a logic probe a while back but haven't gotten around to learning how to use it!

<3 <3 <3

Hey there!

STV boards can be twitchy as they have a lot of SMD chips and are somewhat prone to flexing and oxidation. As you are comfortable reflowing SMD stuff I'd suggest you reflow the VDP connected to those ICs (27, 29, 30). From my experience it's probably just a bad connection somewhere. Try it and give some feedback. I'll try to help you out.

Hey there!

STV boards can be twitchy as they have a lot of SMD chips and are somewhat prone to flexing and oxidation. As you are comfortable reflowing SMD stuff I'd suggest you reflow the VDP connected to those ICs (27, 29, 30). From my experience it's probably just a bad connection somewhere. Try it and give some feedback. I'll try to help you out.
Oh! I guess I didn't notice there was a reply...

Slowly in the process of recapping the board. Picked up extra hours at work, so theres a little less time!

Didn't know that the VDP was a physical part... so I will find it and reflow next time I replace a couple caps.

Thanks man!

Back