What's new

dewmansnk

Professional
Reaction score
Recently purchased a Super Neo 29 type 2 off a good friend and will use this thread to document the work on restoring it.

Nr9F1Vu.jpg

To start I need to break into this thing as I didn't get any keys with it. Luckily there are no locks on the main PCB door, the coin door or the coin box. There is one lock that is locked on the right side of the control panel and one lock on the rear access panel.

Since drilling locks is kinda a pain, I wanted to avoid it at all costs. I was able to sacrifice one button on the control panel to allow access to the lock and tang on the right side of the CP. Using a screw driver, I slowly and carefully backed the nut off the back side enough to allow the CP to clear the tang. (The only large flat-head screwdriver I had was the one I use for discharging, hence the attached wire)

b3uT3B5.jpg

Success, we are in the CP and have drilled 0 locks, but destroyed one button. I was planning on replacing the controls on this CP as they all feel like warm mush, so no big loss.

oEVaWz6.jpg

These locks do not appear to be the normal barrel locks, as I would have attempted to pick them using a pick gun or had a locksmith make a replacement key. None of the dozen locksmiths I called would be able to make a replacement key and I was told they are hard to pick, so on to plan B - drilling.

wCp1SIt.jpg

The lock on the rear of the cab presents a challenge. It sits right above the neck of the monitor so any falling debris could potentially break the neck. After looking over my options, I decided to wedge a piece of cardboard up between the cab and the monitor to shield it from any falling tangs and metal shavings.
6vcbaW8.jpg

SgbA8Ou.jpg

5S7wJg5.jpg

With the shield in place, we are ready to drill.

Well drilling was substantially easier than I thought it would be. As soon as I drilled thorough the outer crescent moon shaped plate, I was able to pick out all the lock innards with a small screwdriver.
gZzQCZR.jpg

ppNzRP3.jpg

The tang stayed attached and it was rotated by the drill bit itself and the panel popped right off.
4UobRWh.jpg

Next step was to take off the marquee and monitor surround. This cab doesn't have hinges for the monitor surround, instead it is screwed to the cab from the inside, with 3 screws on each side. One side shown below. This is somewhat difficult as the screws are right next to the side of the cab so not much room for knuckles and a screw driver. You can see a magnet taped to the back of the monitor, some factory tuning of geometry or convergence.

jJhJ3KW.jpg

Monitor discharged and anode cap removed. You can see a nice healthy amount of grease. Be sure to leave the grease there, I believe it is to prevent arching.
38KpTLz.jpg

Monitor surround and marque removed

eVOwcTM.jpg

I'm rich!!
KnyhST0.jpg

xBHSiDG.jpg

The label had fallen off the tube. Documenting the tube and monitor chassis
HG9ls6I.jpg

Monitor Chassis pics. I wrapped the anode cup in some clear shrink wrap since it has all the grease on it and seemed like a dust magnet.
vZKdCy6.jpg

9tZ8EID.jpg

Monitor removed.
TXHNy3X.jpg

Control panel removed. It attached to the cab with 4 screws into the front, and 2 into the ledge. The 2 screw holes close together on the right side of the ledge are for the coin chute.
X5uUILe.jpg

Thanks for all the giant pics.

Keep them coming.

Those neo 29's are dope.

Weren't you the guy with the NNC as well?

Thanks for all the giant pics.

Keep them coming.

Those neo 29's are dope.

Weren't you the guy with the NNC as well?
Yep that was me, I went big with cabs this week: NNC from kcgames, Egret3/AWSD, and this Super Neo 29 type 2. I rented a truck with a lift-gate and was determined to get my moneys worth! Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, I'll keep the pics and the restore going strong. Need to dive into that NNC but it just need a cleaning, so not too much disassembly there.

Time to finish removing the JAMMA loom from this cab. Overall the loom is in good shape, with a few minor issues.

1. The video ground has broken off at the JAMMA connector pin. There was a "fix" done using an IDC splice crimp that tied the video ground to the power supply ground at JAMMA pin 28. My friend I bought the cab off of (Thanks Again BTW :D ) mentioned the video was a bit shaky, and I think this "fix" may have been the issue/part of the issue. My friend was not the one who implemented the 'fix' it was purchased that way from auction.
2. JAMMA pin 26 "Select Up" was removed from the connector. The pin appears to be a bit smashed, so maybe that is why it was removed. In its place was a larger gauge green wire (like the type used for the chassis ground) that has a stripped end that didn't connect to anything. The panel that is on this cab only has the single button in the middle, so I am guessing that only a single select button is used. The loom has both select buttons wired, so I would like to return it back to factory configuration, even if only 1 select button is actually used on the control panel.
rOK0mr6.jpg

I had already removed the IDC crimp splice in this picture, but you can see the video ground wire broken off. Also, you can see the damage to the pin that would go in JAMMA-26 (Select UP)
rs7moHd.jpg

Here is the offending green wire that was stuffed into JAMMA-26 and just had a stripped bare end. I included the connector that has the coin switch as it appears the green wire may have been borrowed from that connector.
74frxGW.jpg

JAMMA loom and power supply removed

TI5xxAo.jpg

Interesting that the top marquee surround is spot welded to the main cab body. That is as much as can be removed by unscrewing brackets. I remember the Neo Candy 29, you could removed the whole marquee box from the cab body.

Dh3EOv0.jpg

Coin box and PCB mounting board rails removed

txbLTmn.jpg

Floor pan removed, this is basically as far as I can strip the cab down outside of taking off the 2 wheels on the back.
HVJDh95.jpg

I'll leave with a parting shot of the dirty floor pan

b1aCfXb.jpg

I am thinking of taking the ~$8 worth of quarters I pulled out of the cab and going to one of those manual car wash places and giving the cab and control panel bottom a good hose down. Seems somewhat fitting to use those quarter to clean this bad boy. Apartment life sucks without a backyard and a hose...

Decided to just use some spray cleaner and go to town on this cab, its not that dirty, just some dust for the most part. First, I cleaned the inside of the cab so that I could reinstall the bottom plate. The bottom plate seemed to add some rigidity so I didn't want to move it too much without the plate being installed.
5ofKknF.jpg

Time to reinstall the bottom. Looking pretty good if I do say so myself.

Lguaf0p.jpg

Time to pop it on its back so that I can clean the lower bits and the front better. Most of the cleaning was done with a rag and some 'Crud Cutter' but I did test out the magic eraser on some spots.

ua1ibkP.jpg

Time to clean the back

EPlOrtc.jpg

Sides aren't too bad either. The art is pretty faded so I plan on getting some reproduction art and replacing it.

IKpQwVK.jpg

Interesting that both side arts appear to be faded the same amount. Leads me to believe that it isn't sun faded, but maybe just faded from the age and artificial lights.

bR5vtdw.jpg

Mine needs a bit of brightening up on the front panel, looks like a yellow SNES. Nice work!

"Next step was to take off the marquee and monitor surround. This cab doesn't have hinges for the monitor surround, instead it is screwed to the cab from the inside, with 3 screws on each side. One side shown below. "

Yeah wasn't sure how easy that was. Seems like not too easy!

Not a lot of work on the Super Neo 29 lately, I did give the CP bottom a good cleaning

QnUNzFu.jpg

507kSCt.jpg

Next step is making the small repairs to the JAMMA loom so I can install the coin box enclosure. Will need to open up the power supply and make a cap kit order for it, so that should be coming up here soon.

Installed the PCB mounting board railing and the PCB mounting board itself. Flipped the board over to show off the nice clean side.
zO1PqDQ.jpg

CP metal base installed

oZZEbut.jpg

I gave the CP surround its first good cleaning, will need to get back in and get all the nooks cleaned out.
rDYWNxe.jpg

Can you let me know what the dimensions of the piano hinge for the control panel are?

Can you let me know what the dimensions of the piano hinge for the control panel are?
Somehow I missed this request. I got some dimensions for you, hope they are still useful:

Length: 360mm
Width: 50mm

DQmHkYcl.jpg

Yx8kJpjl.jpg

Screw Hole Centers (From the left edge)
1st Round - 10mm
1st Slot - 20mm
2nd Round - 110mm
2nd Slot- 120mm

This should mirror over to the right side so you have the location of all the screw holes

Thanks for the pics, need to do this to my cab, complete teardown and restore.

But the question is , keep the Super Neo 29 Type 2 with Marquee Display or the MVS U4 29?? Or just keep both?

Im leaning towards the super neo, but the U4 has that basically all metal construction though.

Power supply capacitor replacement complete. Here is the digikey cart that I used. That cart has some alternates included so you will get some extras if you don't zero out the duplicate ref des parts.

The before shot of the power supply, removed from the casing and given a dusting.
R3QgBjCl.jpg

Blink and you miss it, new caps installed
FkNkQMpl.jpg

And back in the case it goes
dphbQYKl.jpg

Screws in, I think they were all the same so not much to mix up at this point
X0iqlChl.jpg

All the connectors reattached and ready for the last side.
P6ES95Fl.jpg

One happy power supply
HqT52Hyl.jpg

Were there different revisions of these psus? I have some of these that look similar to the one in your cab, but these seem smaller I think. Need to open it and see if there are any specs on it. Can you check if the pinout is the same in yours?

Attachments

• IMG_6225.jpg
    IMG_6225.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6224.jpg
    IMG_6224.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6222.jpg
    IMG_6222.jpg