What's new

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
I’m pretty bush league so can use help with power wiring. I want to put a 19mm power switch on a Pc case to switch on a Naomi sun psu to power Naomi. It says rated for 5A ac but the led is rated at 12v. So I can get 12v from the psu, but I just don’t know how to wire this thing to switch ac to the psu and send 12v to the led. Here is my power switch. Says 5A and the psu says 3A so I’m assuming I’m ok there. Any help appreciated. I already took of the wall mounts from the psu and stuck it in a little atx case along with a jvs i/o and mitsus jvs helper board. I could just use an inline switch but thought it would be cool to have a latching power switch on the front of the case to turn on the psu.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H9KWL6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cw-industries/GPB527D2L02BR1/CW155-ND/2349750

You want something like this?!

Basically on that PSU, you can use an illuminated switch like this. 2 of the contacts connect inline on AC Line side, the other 2 contacts you need to wire to your 12VDC & GND lines from the PSU DC outputs. You might also need a resistor inline with the LED on the switch, some have them builtin some dont, you need to check the datasheet.

I pulled something like my last link and it seems fine. Dpst and has a light. It’s from an American dj pc-100a that has 8 of these switches and 8 outlets. It has an led and you can wire it to ac, so no need to figure out 12v.

Attachments

• C478B5FF-955D-4BD9-9B68-742532B0D3A4.jpeg
    C478B5FF-955D-4BD9-9B68-742532B0D3A4.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 97
and there is that lol, yeah some switches have a light that works off line voltage.

Yeah this was pretty simple. I was making it more complicated trying to use that 19mm round latching switch. These switches are pretty reliable and cheap to replace so I like them. I have around 6-7 of the adj 8 outlet units and so far just one switch failed in the 10 years or so I’ve been using them. The adj ones have 4 terminals, the ones I ordered look exactly the same but have 6. So they can switch off 3 terminal. Really I should probably be attaching Earth ground to the psu chassis right and plugging into a 3 prong socket? I suspect a lot of people don’t bother since the sun psu just has a 2 terminal connector.

You can, it wont hurt. I would also add a fuse on the Hot line before the PSU for added protection.

Back