What's new

SelfDeniedHoarderz

Professional
Reaction score
Not so much familiar with this whole darkstalker game line up for cps2,but from what i've read, the Vampire Saviour released in Japan for CPS2 has two deviation called Vampire Saviour 2 and Vampire Hunter 2. Both deviations have different rosters, but none of these version have complete roster. I know that Darkstalker 3 released on PS1 has complete roster but it seems the game don't get any arcade port at all.

Anyway to hack and combine roster from Vampire Saviour 2 and Vampire Hunter 2 together to create what we called as "Darkstalker 3 for CPS2"?

I don't know if that would be possible, as the reported reason for both Savior 2 and Hunter 2 existing in the first place is because they couldn't fit all characters into the graphics ROM. No such restriction on CD space, hence the PS1 Darkstalkers 3.

I wonder if it would be possible with 2020 tools and better compression? But that's a significant amount of work, if it would at all.

Also, Vsav and Vsav 2 have modified engines from each other, so it's not exactly the same game.
It's why the community plays 1 over 2, as 2 made some very bad mechanic changes from the first game.

Also, Vsav and Vsav 2 have modified engines from each other, so it's not exactly the same game.
It's why the community plays 1 over 2, as 2 made some very bad mechanic changes from the first game.
What were the changes actually?Color me interested now.

it says the IP address can't be found :(
That's odd. It works for me. ?(

To speak on the topic a bit. The PS1 port is very much a port, and a bad one. There is a lot wrong with that version of the game. Some people have mentioned using the PS2 version of the game since it's "emulated" but my impression is that it is not such a simple task.

If they can do this to Alpha 3 would be awesome since the CPS2 version does not have Guile and FeiLong.

Some people have mentioned using the PS2 version of the game since it's "emulated" but my impression is that it is not such a simple task.
This is basically what happened with Third Strike OE, but in reverse. I imagine it's possible, but the level of work required would be unbelievably substantial considering the actual base game differences. You would quite honestly be talking about redesigning all of the missing characters and re-balancing them specifically for VSAV, rather than just "ripping and combining" games/characters. That's like smash remix/SF2 new legacy levels of work

To speak on the topic a bit. The PS1 port is very much a port, and a bad one. There is a lot wrong with that version of the game. Some people have mentioned using the PS2 version of the game since it's "emulated" but my impression is that it is not such a simple task.
Funny you mention the PS2 version, it was briefly looked at by @strygo recently as part of their digging into the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, and they reckon the PS2 Darkstalkers collection is built on the same engine, so I wonder if any of the same findings could be applied to VS: Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash on Arcade

Back