What's new

faithful

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I found a bootleg pcb of New Zeland Story (the original is priced too high for my pockets) and I am happy as ever! :D
But ... the image is upside down an from what I read I cannot do anything about it.. X/ (aside to rotate my heavy crt of 180°!)
So: there is any analog circuit that flips a RGBS signal upside down?
I’m not interested in digital solution.
Thanks in advance

I have a Sony PVM 20M2MD.
The monitor isn’t dedicated to this particular board. It’s connected to a HAS where I connect all my boards. If I swap the yoke connector I need to open the PVM every time I want to use any other PCB... not very practical...
I don’t have another monitor (and space) to dedicate to NZS.
There is nothing I can do outside the case of the monitor? I was wandering about a circuit that fiddles with the sync signal.
I’m too naive about it?

Oh. I assumed you had an arcade monitor with open chassi... then no idea :(

Flipping will require a ADC->Framebuffer->DAC circuit or something, so probably tricky to find.

So... how bad for a PVM is it to be placed upside down....

So... how bad for a PVM is it to be placed upside down....
I don’t know...
For sure is very impractical because a 20” crt is bulky and very heavy.
As an alternative I could design a circuit that swap the yoke connector via a switch outside of the chassis.

Tricky problem. Hopefully eventually the upscalers start including full image rotation options. Like to the degree. Many a times I’d like to play a vertical shmup on my 4K Oled but my Framemeister does not allow for this.

Even if you aren’t upscaling, using it between the board and PVM would allow for these options.

Short of that yeah the yolk would be a good option

Tricky problem. Hopefully eventually the upscalers start including full image rotation options. Like to the degree. Many a times I’d like to play a vertical shmup on my 4K Oled but my Framemeister does not allow for this.

Even if you aren’t upscaling, using it between the board and PVM would allow for these options.

The problem with an upscaler is that the output is digital only. I cannot connect it to my PVM... :(

I have a Sony PVM 20M2MD.
The monitor isn’t dedicated to this particular board. It’s connected to a HAS where I connect all my boards. If I swap the yoke connector I need to open the PVM every time I want to use any other PCB... not very practical...
I don’t have another monitor (and space) to dedicate to NZS.
There is nothing I can do outside the case of the monitor? I was wandering about a circuit that fiddles with the sync signal.
I’m too naive about it?
Have you tried looking through the secret Service Mode menu?

You can access it by pressing the ENTER and DEGAUSS buttons simultaneously.

There are a bunch of fine tune settings in that menu that might help you. Refer to the manual on page 3-1 - 3-4:
http://neohyphengeo.com/PVM20M2MDU_SM_SONY_EN.pdf

Someone used to make these for arcade machines on AO. It'd be an easy enough idea to replicate. Was it @FrancoB by chance, or am I misremembering?

Someone used to make these for arcade machines on AO. It'd be an easy enough idea to replicate. Was it @FrancoB by chance, or am I misremembering?
Yeah, it was FrancoB. I have one installed on my New Astro City. It's a set of wires, crimped to yoke connectors, attached to switches for swapping signals.

The problem with an upscaler is that the output is digital only. I cannot connect it to my PVM... :(
You could convert the HDMI back to an analog signal. It would be wiring and adapter tomfoolery but sometimes A solution is the best solution

Yeah, it was FrancoB. I have one installed on my New Astro City. It's a set of wires, crimped to yoke connectors, attached to switches for swapping signals.
Could you give me some indications where to find this boards?

You could convert the HDMI back to an analog signal. It would be wiring and adapter tomfoolery but sometimes A solution is the best solution
I searched the entire document and nothing seems to fit... :(

They haven't been sold in a long while.

I was hoping tagging him may get him to chime in with a bit of info though :)

They haven't been sold in a long while.
I was hoping tagging him may get him to chime in with a bit of info though :)
Maybe I can contact him directly via PM to check if there are some circuit left to sell or if he can open-source the design (If he’s not interested to sell them anymore).

you can use a pair of double-pole changeover relays like space-invaders coctail cab used to do.
or a 4pole switch - but that's a bit risky because of the current.

Back