Arcade games that support an optional, unique second screen

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Arcade games that support an optional, unique second screen

A list of arcade games that support an optional, unique second screen (not a doubled output):

[Games that can played with joysticks and buttons]
      Backfire!
      Cyberball
      Dunk Dream '95 / Hoops '96 (pinout in post 7) (pics of game running in post 10)
      Hard Dunk
      Lode Runner: The Dig Fight (pic of official link harness here) (pinout in post 7)
      Quiz de Idol! Hot Debut
      Run And Gun 2
      Rushing Heroes
      Stadium Cross
      Title Fight
      Touch And Go
      VersusNet Soccer
      World Rally 2

[Games that need special controllers]
      Cool Riders (handlebar controller)
      Mahjong Hot Gimmick Integral (mahjong controller)Taisen Hot Gimmick (mahjong controller)
      OutRunners (steering wheel)
      Taisen Hot Gimmick Kairakuten (mahjong controller)
      Taisen Hot Gimmick 3: Digital Surfing (mahjong controller)
      Taisen Hot Gimmick 4 Ever (mahjong controller)
      Taisen Idol-Mahjong Final Romance 2 (mahjong controller)Taisen Mahjong Final Romance R (mahjong controller)
      Taisen Mahjong Final Romance 4 (mahjong controller)

EDIT: cleaned up OP and added a ton of games. Thanks guys!
      EDIT 2: removed a ton of games. Sorry!

The post was edited 13 times, last by nem ().

• All of those output the same video signal through different connectors. The ones in the OP should output two different video signals. Like in Dunk Dream '95 I guess it would show 1P and 2P stats on monitor 1 and 3P and 4P stats on monitor 2.

Dig Fight actually works in Mame and shows both outputs. It's pretty neat. I have to get that going. Could someone fill me in on the pinout, please? The manual is useless.
    • New

Didn't feel like doing any real work today, so I decided to tackle this. Armed with some very basic knowledge of what parts are responsible for what things and a multimeter, I figured out some of the pinout for the two games.

Lode Runner: The Dig Fight

CN7:

SPK-412SPK+
      VIDEO GREEN614VIDEO RED
      VIDEO SYNC715VIDEO BLUE
      GND816(VIDEO) GND

CN8:

P4 START417P3 START
      P4 UP518P3 UP
      P4 DOWN619P3 DOWN
      P4 LEFT720P3 LEFT
      P4 RIGHT821P3 RIGHT
      P4 BTN1922P3 BTN1
      P4 BTN21023P3 BTN2
      P4 BTN31124P3 BTN3
      GND1225GND
      GND1326GND

Note that there is no simultaneous 4-player mode in Dig Fight! What a fucking disappointment. What it does give you is:

* In the 'Together' game mode you can have have two standalone games that can be played cooperatively (1P&2P, 3P&4P). Basically as if you had two game boards.
      * In the 'Fight' game mode you can have two standalone 1P single player games (1P, 3P) and the ability to challenge the other player to a versus match.

Versus match is actually pretty fun. Technically you don't need to wire the game up to two screens, just wire up the 3P controls to your regular 2P side. Then do the following: press 3P start twice, press 1P start, choose 'VS Play', and press 3P BTN1 or wait 10 seconds. Everything happens on the same screen, there's no benefit to having two screens.

Bonus thing, you can change the region to World and turn this game into English by cutting the link between the 4th solder pad on JP4 (thank you, Mame driver).

Dunk Dream '95 / Hoops '96

CN6:

+5V12+5V
      343P UP
      563P DOWN
      783P LEFT
      9103P RIGHT
      11123P BTN1
      13143P BTN2
      VIDEO RED15163P BTN3
      VIDEO BLUE1718
      VIDEO GREEN1920
      VIDEO SYNC2122
      (VIDEO) GND23243P START
      SERVICE SW #225264P UP
      27284P DOWN
      COIN SW #329304P LEFT
      COIN SW #431324P RIGHT
      SPK+33344P BTN1
      SPK-35364P BTN2
      37384P BTN3
      45464P START
      GND4748GND
      GND4950GND

Bonus thing, program roms are eproms. For instance I originally had a Dunk Dream '95, but with two 27C240 roms (sz00-0.2a & sz01-0.2B) I converted mine to Hoops '96. Hoops is an updated version of the game (faster gameplay, new intro graphics), the year isn't just there for show.

The post was edited 5 times, last by nem ().

• New

Cyberball by Atari can output to two screens as well apparently.

Anyway, Hoops two screen is seriously impressive. It's the kind of implementation I thought Dig Fight would have. Basically it's like two boards linked together. You can have standalone games on both screens at the same time or you can challenge the other players on the other screen.

Some pics:

IO check on both monitors.

Single player on left screen, attract demo running on right screen.

Single player on right screen, left screen deciding on challenging right screen.

Left and right screen in the same 3-player game. 1P and 2P on left, 4P on right.

Single player on right screen. Left screen started new game, chose not to challenge, choosing now either to play standalone 2-player versus or team play.

Very cool.

The post was edited 1 time, last by nem ().

• New

Konami Vs Net Soccer supports 2 independent screens.
      flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page…b=videodb&id=3681&image=2

I know you have Rushing Heros on the list already but the flyer shows off the mode:
      flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page…db=videodb&id=927&image=2

------------

Some other games that support multiple screens but not in the way I think you intended:
      X-Men 6-player
      Darius
      Darius II / Sagaia
      Ninja Warriors
      Tecmo Bowl

Also a kind of honorable mention is Tetris Plus on Jaleco Mega System 32. it only supports 1 screen but it splits it vertically and lets player 1 and player 2 play independent games in completely different game modes or challenge each other.

nem wrote:

Note that there is no simultaneous 4-player mode in Dig Fight! What a fucking disappointment. What it does give you is:

* In the 'Together' game mode you can have have two standalone games that can be played cooperatively (1P&2P, 3P&4P). Basically as if you had two game boards.
      * In the 'Fight' game mode you have two standalone 1P single player games (1P, 3P) and the ability to challenge the other player to a versus match.
      That is a huge disappointment, I've had one of these PCBs for a while and I'd been meaning to build a 4P harness to try out those modes. was looking forward to some interesting 4P battle game play :-/
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • New

Cleaned out the pinouts to make them more legible. If someone wants to figure out the missing things from Dig Fight (coin switches, etc), I'm happy to add them in.

twistedsymphony wrote:

That is a huge disappointment, I've had one of these PCBs for a while and I'd been meaning to build a 4P harness to try out those modes. was looking forward to some interesting 4P battle game play :-/

No kidding. I thought it would be like Battle Lode Runner on the PC-Engine. Nope.

Even sillier is locking out versus behind the two screen mode. Why? The action takes place on the same goddamn screen:

?(
    • New

If you're interested in Listing the Psikyo Mahjong games that support 2-screens, they're:

Taisen Hot Gimmick
      Taisen Hot Gimmick Kairakuten
      Taisen Hot Gimmick 3: Digital Surfing
      Taisen Hot Gimmick 4 Ever
      Mahjong Hot Gimmick Integral

The series was continued on Taito Type X, though I'm not sure if the TTX games supported 2-screens:
      Taisen Hot Gimmick 5
      Taisen Hot Gimmick Mix Party

it's worth noting that Mix Party is basically Hot Gimmick 1-4, so I think there's be a good chance the feature is available.

I believe the Video System's Taisen Mahjong series also supports 2-screens, they feature a similar link cable system to the Psikyo Mahjong games. though I'm not super familiar with the hardware or the specific games that have support.

EDIT: these games support it:
      Taisen Idol-Mahjong Final Romance 2
      Taisen Mahjong Final Romance R
      Taisen Mahjong Final Romance 4

the later games in the series after 4 are "Network Taisen" and the first game is just "Idol-Mahjong Final Romance" without the Taisen, so I believe it doesn't support multiple screens either.
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade

The post was edited 2 times, last by twistedsymphony ().

• New

Searching around here are more games that support a unique second screen:

Sega Multi System 32 games:
      -Hard Dunk
      -OutRunners
      -Stadium Cross
      -Title Fight

The Keyboardmania Series:
      -Keyboardmania
      -Keyboardmania 2nd Mix
      -Keyboardmania 3rd Mix

and these two:
      -Backfire!
      -Tokimeki Mahjong Paradise: Dear My Love

Also I'm not sure Touch and Go belongs on the list, it looks more like the game supports 2-monitors the way X-men 6P does, where it's just used to extend the screen horizontally.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • New

I think it's definitely worth separating them by control interface type.

EDIT: I just noticed you add the extended screen games.
      you can add Warrior Blade - Rastan Saga Episode III to that list.

Also there are game that extend the screen vertically:
      Arm Wrestling
      Punch-Out!
      The 'Vs.' Series of games (Vs. BaseBall, Vs. Ice Climber, etc)
      Super Punch-Out!
      Hang Pilot
      Jong Tou Ki
      Rock'n MegaSession

and games that have a secondary screen for some kind of alternate function:
      Silent Scope
      Silent Scope 2
      Teraburst
      Primeval Hunt
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade