What's new

mugen_ketsueki

Professional
Reaction score
Trying to get this Killer Instinct PCB running. So here’s the process of what was done:

- Board was shipped to me with the U98 places backwards. Assumed it killed that boot chip.
- Then replaced the U98 and screen was snowy with color bars.
- reflashed the Compact Flash to make sure nothing was corrupted.
- Then reflow the CPU to see if that would help the issue.
- Then noticed the Compact Flash isn’t getting power.
- moved the pins where it suppose to be and the Red Light comes on. But when the adapter is plugged in that red light goes out. And still no power light on the adapter itself.

Hopefully someone can help me with the issue I’m currently having.

Without the cf installed you should still get a blue screen that scrolls upwards on boot.

This is what i am getting when i turn the board on. With or Without the CF. But as mentioned before i am getting a new one since the one i got was included with his board when i got it from ebay. But i will look at this guide as well @twistedsymphony

EXxIC8XXsAgo6Op.jpg

I would like a CPU but nobody has a spare or a link for me to get one for a reasonable price. Incase that is the issue.

Assuming the U98 bios chip is valid and on a good chip it definitely looks CPU related, the blue screen is where the RAM gets checked and then it doesn't initialize the HDD until after the RAM check is done.

your PCB isn't even getting to the RAM check so the HDD isn't even part of the equation yet.

Based on what I read and seen from YouTube videos 99% of the issues are bad CPU on the board or called U96. Can also be a bad U98 boot rom but it’s been replaced and still same issue. So I’m gonna say CPU has be burnt out and needs a new one.

the most common failure on boards is ram, not the cpu.

infact other than 1 6502, the only cpu failures i'v seen have been overclocked z80's - and i mean serious overclock - like 200% of the rating!

well, most common failure is the HDD,

the next most common failure is the solder joints of the CPU (not the CPU itself)

the problem is the pins are very fine and it has a tall heat sync so if the board isn't handled well things hitting the heat sync can damage the pins and pads

Just because the CPU was reflowed doesn't mean there still arn't shorts, cold pins, or damaged pads

the most common failure on boards is ram, not the cpu.

infact other than 1 6502, the only cpu failures i'v seen have been overclocked z80's - and i mean serious overclock - like 200% of the rating!
Well if it's the ram then that's next to replace or fix but ATM i am waiting on the CPU and the heat sink to see what we get. cause if i end up getting a blue screen then i am good. if not then ram will be on the list.

well, most common failure is the HDD,

the next most common failure is the solder joints of the CPU (not the CPU itself)

the problem is the pins are very fine and it has a tall heat sync so if the board isn't handled well things hitting the heat sync can damage the pins and pads

Just because the CPU was reflowed doesn't mean there still arn't shorts, cold pins, or damaged pads
I got a replacement on the hdd as well with the new u98 so i am waiting on that to test it if nothing changes then i will wait on the cpu

How did you get on with this repair in the end mugen_ketsueki? I'm looking at my faulty one here and and reading up before doing anything.

twistedsymphony - thanks for posting your troubleshooting guide!

Hello again, been a while but I have an update. So we got around to switching the cpu and from the weird color bars to the rolling blue screen with 1 gong. Thing is, we don't know if it's the hdd or the ram chips or both. Would like help on what more I can do. I can also link a video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tqd4SygUgqMjtJeu6

Hello again, been a while but I have an update. So we got around to switching the cpu and from the weird color bars to the rolling blue screen with 1 gong. Thing is, we don't know if it's the hdd or the ram chips or both. Would like help on what more I can do. I can also link a video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tqd4SygUgqMjtJeu6
Well, I can tell you two things I see wrong there.

Voltage at 5.36V and no heatsink / heatsink/fan on the CPU.

Back