What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
I have read elsewhere that if your firmware is too old, you cannot upgrade the firmware via the GDROM disc. Is this true or a myth? If so, anyone know what version firmware of the Dimm/NetDimm cannot be upgraded with the 3.17 GDROM disc? I know the flash can be unsoldered and flashed, but that seems like a lot of work for my novice solderer like me.

Thanks!

I recently upgraded a net dimm with firmware of 2.06 to 4.01 and then to 4.02 just though simply software (net booting). Worked great. Don't go directly to 4.02; upgrade to 4.01 first and then 4.02 or could brick the net dimm (according to what I heard from others).

Really? You were able to netboot with firmware 2.06? What did you use transfergame.exe or Pi Force Tools?

And where could one find transfergame.exe for download...

Anyways, I will plug my Dimm in and check the firmware revision. Then I'll pull the daughterboard off my NetDimm, plug it into my Dimm and see if I can run the update over the network. If not, then I will check and see if I can apply the 3.17 update via the GDROM. Report back what I find.

I recently upgraded a net dimm with firmware of 2.06 to 4.01 and then to 4.02 just though simply software (net booting). Worked great. Don't go directly to 4.02; upgrade to 4.01 first and then 4.02 or could brick the net dimm (according to what I heard from others).
Please post FW 4.01. In my internet travels thus far, I have only encountered 3.17 and 4.02.

I think I found my answer from this post. Transcribed below if anyone is interested:

Okay

4.01 firmware will play everything and support CF as a storage device
3.17 firmware will play everything
3.03 introduction of net booting/net boot keychips
2.xx introduction of basic ALL.net functionality
1.xx standard dim board - no network

is the best bet for all uses, 4.02 is a hacked firmware to remove the
CF mfg name check, that's the only difference from 4.02, it must be net
booted, as obviously it's not a pressed hack.

There is also 3.17
CDR firmware which has been around for donkey's year, which allows CD-Rs
to be used - the only issue with this is it bombs out after a couple of
hours.

Funny, I missed 4.01 from that page you provided. That is probably everyone's NAOMI source. I'll try tonight to update one of my regular Dimms to 3.xx then to 4.0x. Document what firmware I started with and what I find as I go.

My one working Dimm is 1.02 firmware. But I can't get power to my GDROM. Power is properly coming off the PSU to CN1 and CN2, but no power is going off the GDROM connector. Go figure. Going to have to hack up the JST connector to get this to work.

Good news is 1.02 is probably the lowest firmware. If I can update with the disc, I can update any firmware (I think).

So I can confirm the 3.17 firmware upgrade disc cannot update a Dimm with firmware version 1.02. More details here.

Back