What's new
Thank you for sharing @TheDeath, I thought this information was already available here though? I remember a thread here about his, with all the information posted? Let me look...

GFX Noise on an Osman [fixed]

Look at post #28

But regardless, thank you for posting here! It is very appreciated.

I bought my conversion, from I think @Hammy (maybe, can't remember) and it seems to work fine. I don't think he was keeping any information to himself either, another great contributor here. (also I think I paid maybe $200?)

If you need help to fix your glitches, let me know if my board can help, if so, I will do anything I can to help get the information out there!

Thank you for sharing @TheDeath, I thought this information was already available here though? I remember a thread here about his, with all the information posted? Let me look...

Look at post #28

I bought my conversion, from I think @Hammy (maybe, can't remember) and it seems to work fine. I don't think he was keeping any information to himself either, another great contributor here. (also I think I paid maybe $200?)

If you need help to fix your glitches, let me know if my board can help, if so, I will do anything I can to help get the information out there!
Thanks xtra, but it's not. This is the conversion from JoeMac Returns/Magical Drop. Your was from the Mitchell version wich is different, this is the data east version of the board.

Thumb up , @Mo :thumbup: ... by the way , its much nicer the caveman ninja , i dont like edward randy’s slowdowns ^^ If i will find a caveman ninja board i will not proceed .im on the same boat with your thought about that

Look at post #28

Thanks xtra, but it's not. This is the conversion from JoeMac Returns/Magical Drop. Your was from the Mitchell version wich is different, this is the data east version of the board.
Oh yes, I see! OK, but Joe Mac Returns is a great game, I hope those are not converted! MD is.. OK, but can be found elsewhere! Thanks for posting this info! I actually think I have MD and MD+. Maybe one day I'll have all of these variants!

Thank you for posting, please keep it up!
Thumb up , @Mo :thumbup: ... by the way , its much nicer the caveman ninja , i dont like edward randy’s slowdowns ^^ If i will find a caveman ninja board i will not proceed .im on the same boat with your thought about that
LOL, I think ER is a very fun game, good to look at and play a few times. I would like one actually! But CN is a much better game! I will look for you if I find it I'll let you know! By the way J&M on SNES and Mega Drive is also good, and different!

Yeah it would of been around £150. That one was lady killers or something not the magical drop people keep PM'ing me about.

As far as i know it's a romswap + reprogram the 8 pin chip.

I have a caveman ninja 2 prototype in for repair at the moment if anyone has a spare '233' data east (i/o) custom from this hardware.
It IS socket all around so i can perform tests / work this out quickly but need the chip to proceed.

someone asked me about this the other day so I looked into it. it's not just a simple ROM swap... but it's not that difficult either.

As you said you need to reprogram the EEPROM and the 5C PAL. but the 13A and 14A GFX2 ROM sockets are only designed for 16M EPROMs and you need to install 32M EPROMs there so you need to add the A20 address line.

To do that you need to cut the trace to pin 32 of the the 13A and 14A EPROM sockets, wire these together then wire them to pin 9 of the A11 logic IC, then you need to run a wire from pin 8 of the A11 logic IC to pin 30 of the A13 EPROM socket. once you've done that you can concatenate 14H+14D to make the new 14A and 14A+13A to make the new 13A

that's not all though you also need to fix the music as it will play at 2x speed since the Data East PCB run at full clock speed and the Mitchel PCBs run at half clock speed so you need to rewire the clock pin on the J13 OKI. but I'm sure @TheDeath knows that already from his Charlie Ninja conversion.

there you go, enjoy your Magical Drop to Osman conversions :)

Why do I sense that the market of $50 MD is suddenly evaporating...
I paid around 70 euro for my MD board , is still in Japan and must be shipped to Ro (so, here we talk another costs too) ^^ . I dont think will be cheap than100$ nowhere

I had a spare Magical Drop so I threw one together:

If you want to say thank you help @Hammy source a Data East 233 Custom.

--------------
EDIT: I keep getting PMs about this so here is a more noob friendly guide:

This works with any of the "Data East" games on this hardware:
Magical Drop
Magical Drop Plus 1
Chain Reaction
Joe & Mac Returns

Fix Address Map:
Swap the PLD at 5C with the Osman or Cannon Dancer PLD for this location

Fix Security:
re-write the Serial EEPROM at 3H with data from MAME (this controls whether you get Osman or Cannon Dancer, all other data is the same).
It depends on your setup but you will likely have to byte swap this data when writing.

Wire mod to expand GFX2 ROM space:
Cut the traces to Pin 32 on the EPROM sockets at 13A and 14A, wire these together then Wire them to Pin 9 of the 74LS373 at 11A
Run another wire from Pin 8 of the 72LS373 at 11A to Pin 30 of the EPROM at 13A
new GFX2 ROMs can be burned to 27c322s like this:
mcf-04.14h + mcf-03.14d = 14A
mcf-02.14a + mcf-01.13a = 13A

Wire mod to fix Music speed:
Cut the trace going to pin 5 of OKI audio chip at J13 (the one closer to the center of the PCB), this needs to be cut between the pin and the first via. Run a wire from this pin to Pin 5 of the other OKI chip at J14, alternatively you can also run this wire to Pin 9 of the 74LS74 at H10 as this also runs to Pin 5 of the J14 OKI.

Burn the rest of the ROMs as normal:
Program ROM -> 27c4096/27c4002
GFX1 ROM -> 27c160
OKI Music ROM -> 27c160
OKI FX ROM -> 27c020

Technically this guide should also work if you wanted to convert One of the Data East Games to Gonta 2
If you wanted to convert One of the Data East Games to Charlie Ninja you can skip the GFX2 Wire mod step
If you wanted to convert any of the Data East Games to any other Data East game you ignore both the GFX2 Wire mod Step and the Music Wire mod step (but you'll still need to do the 5C PAL and Serial EEPROM)

Last edited:
Is there any difference between a Magical Drop PCB and a Magical Drop Plus 1/Chain Reaction PCB? Will this conversion work on a Plus 1 PCB?

Are there any differences between Osman and Cannon Dancer besides the title screen and dialog?

Guys , please , can you teach me what bytes to swap here ? Ive made the byteswap on rolling thunder 2 conversion ... there i figure it out what must to change,but here ,even is not too much on this bin, i dont know where to move ?( Thank you in advance for lesson :saint:

ps : i hope don't mistake guys , but here is a good candidate too (you have possibility to do a offer for this) for this journey . the prices for Magical Drop seems to go higher and i write this because i paid in Japan for a board 70 Euro without shipping and now i've seen on ebay prices who exceed amounts like 250-260 usd .

I had these in my watchlist too :

Magical Drop

Magical Drop

And *this is what i've found this morning

Attachments

• 35F2F174-8A16-47ED-85A4-AEFF6B152564.jpeg
    35F2F174-8A16-47ED-85A4-AEFF6B152564.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Thanks @twistedsymphony, i was kind hit and miss with that. I'm not an expert at all, but i'm happy that this went throught in the end.
I have spent a shit load of time with Strider on my MD when i was a kid (was barely touching my play time with the beast "Streets Of Rage" tho), and i always wanted to have a physical version of this game but the price it took went far away from my daily pocket.

@AlxUnderBase MD board skyrocketed even way before this, i payed mine like 30 euros 2 yrs ago. I'm a collector since 2003 and i can probably list dozens ended up like this.
Swapbyte should be automatic by the programmer, don't you have that option in yours? I have two shitty chinese programmers (top3000 and tl866a) and both of them did not have that option, so what i usually do is load the file in my old willem sivava programmer PCB50 (here) and use his program to do the job (vers 0.97j)

Back