What's new
U

Unicron

Almost done with a Vewlix F disassembly before the restoration begins. Was wondering, if I wanted to power the move list & marquee leds, is my only option the official power supply those plug in to? Could I use something else to power those?

Or would I have to find alternative independent ways of lighting those areas if I was not using the included power supply?

Power is power. The lights don't care where it comes from.

That being said though: why fix what isn't broken?

Power is power. The lights don't care where it comes from.

That being said though: why fix what isn't broken?
Makes sense. I'm considering 'simplifying' the Vewlix. Basically taking out all the power components, replacing the monitor and speakers, and powering everything conventionally. What this does, is make the Vewlix a 'consolized' Vewlix, where its the real thing on the outside, but internally it is easier to deal with for a regular user.

I know this is blasphemy for arcade purists. I am never going to hook up any arcade hardware to the Vewlix. I will only use a PC or consoles.

That said, I do not have much experience with arcade hardware, so powering the lights with "other power" is something I would have to research. Any suggestions or recommendations for what might work?

The 12v power supply already in the cab works perfectly to light up its 12v led strips in the marque and cfl bulb in the move strip. You could try replacing the move strip cfl with 12v leds.
So you can use the stock 12v psu and just run new line or just undo the harness and trim away all the extra wires/connector you will not be using. If yo want to trim it down, make it simpler.

If you are gutting the cab, I would like to buy the Weiya JVS psu in there if it has one :)

Are installing new speakers in the stock boxes or replacing the boxes/speakers altogether?

There's a 2 outlet power strip inside the cab, why not just power your other stuff off of that and call it a day?

Leaving in the original cabinet power supply (but removing the JVS one) I've managed to fit a PC, PS4, Switch, and HDMI splitter inside the Vewlix without much hassle.

I'm just not seeing why you're complicating a simple setup. Replacing the speakers/monitor, and adding PC and/or consoles doesn't require rewiring anything or removing the cab's power supply.

The 12v power supply already in the cab works perfectly to light up its 12v led strips in the marque and cfl bulb in the move strip. You could try replacing the move strip cfl with 12v leds.
So you can use the stock 12v psu and just run new line or just undo the harness and trim away all the extra wires/connector you will not be using. If yo want to trim it down, make it simpler.

If you are gutting the cab, I would like to buy the Weiya JVS psu in there if it has one :)

Are installing new speakers in the stock boxes or replacing the boxes/speakers altogether?
Thanks for the info! I am not exactly sure how I will proceed, but I will keep you in mind if I get rid of the Weiya.

For the speakers, the replacement would be inside the boxes.
There's a 2 outlet power strip inside the cab, why not just power your other stuff off of that and call it a day?

Leaving in the original cabinet power supply (but removing the JVS one) I've managed to fit a PC, PS4, Switch, and HDMI splitter inside the Vewlix without much hassle.

I'm just not seeing why you're complicating a simple setup. Replacing the speakers/monitor, and adding PC and/or consoles doesn't require rewiring anything or removing the cab's power supply.
Thanks for the info! You are probably right. This is my first Vewlix, and I know what my goal is(consolization), but not sure about all the logistics of getting to that goal.
If you are gutting the cab, I would like to buy the Weiya JVS psu in there if it has one
Someone gutting a VLX?
What parts are available?
We are always interested! :D
lol, It will probably be some time (do not know for sure, at least a month) before I will know if/what I will be getting rid of. I am in no rush, so I want to do this right, meaning I should have no regrets after.

Thanks for the info! You are probably right. This is my first Vewlix, and I know what my goal is(consolization), but not sure about all the logistics of getting to that goal.
Vewlix Console I/O - Connect Brook fighting boards directly to your Vewlix.

One of those
Brook board
HDMI to DVI cable
HDMI selector (even if you only use one console you're going to want one to break the audio out of HDMI)

And that should do it for PC/PS4/Switch/360/XOne.

The Wei-ya JVS PSU is entirely useless to you given what you want to do with the cab.

Last edited:
Vewlix Console I/O - Connect Brook fighting boards directly to your Vewlix.
One of those
Brook board
HDMI to DVI cable
HDMI selector (even if you only use one console you're going to want one to break the audio out of HDMI)

And that should do it for PC/PS4/Switch/360/XOne.

The Wei-ya JVS PSU is entirely useless to you given what you want to do with the cab.
Thanks for laying that out, will definitely notate this info for the future!

For disassembly, I'll be taking out the PSUs/wiring next. From what I've seen, it looks mostly self explanatory, but I do want to look (and take pics) and figure it out myself, if only for a learning opportunity.

Back