What's new
Does anyone have a scanned manual from any of the NA1 and NA2 games ?

the secondary edge connector is pinned the same as it is on Namco System 2 through Namco System 12

NA hardware has quite a lot of support for 4-Player games, which is pretty cool.
Exvania, Numan Athletics, Super World Court, and Tinkle Pit all support 2 or 4 players.

@twistedsymphony do they all do a headphone/line-out audio? I sent @everten an idea to make a conversion pcb like his STV one, but from this namco to cps, and including rca for audio, but wasn’t sure it had that full breadth of compatibility. Would be nice if so!

I haven’t check if that headphone out is amplified or not though, maybe it is

that is a great question that I don't have the answer to :)

I think the challenge with an expansion IO board is supporting both 4 Player and extra button games, since the pinouts really aren't compatible,

then there's the question of what pinout do you use for 4-Player games, there is of course the Capcom CPS2 style 4P setup but the Konami 4P style setup is arguably more common.

OK, so I replaced all the SMD caps on this and still have no audio. I get an increased hum when I touch the audio amp pins underneath, so I think that can be ruled out for now. Are there any other chips to take a closer look at that may be tied to the sound in some way, or any specific caps that are more important to the sound than others? How about all those mega tiny transistors? that are everywhere within the sound section? When I got the pcb, the audio was very low, but there. How about those volume wheels- what is the difference between the 2- SPVOL and HPVOL? Got my Multi in the mail today- looks great, thanks Hammy!

Received -thanks hammy! :love:

NA_Multi.jpg

Oh, yes - also got two c boards from sheep_nova!

Oh, yes - also got two c boards from sheep_nova!
Very nice! Can you confirm that the chip is a B-21? I see 2 pins tied to Vcc, right? Which pins are those?I assume that they are modified to work without battery? Basically the pins 43 & 44 (IIRC) are tied to Vcc.

OK, so I replaced all the SMD caps on this and still have no audio. I get an increased hum when I touch the audio amp pins underneath, so I think that can be ruled out for now. Are there any other chips to take a closer look at that may be tied to the sound in some way, or any specific caps that are more important to the sound than others? How about all those mega tiny transistors? that are everywhere within the sound section? When I got the pcb, the audio was very low, but there. How about those volume wheels- what is the difference between the 2- SPVOL and HPVOL? Got my Multi in the mail today- looks great, thanks Hammy!
I think HPvol is headphone VOL but don't quote me on that ;)

The actual sound chip is on the other side of the board (the side with caps is only the analog section)
All i can recommend is inspecting the area for dead lines and checking where the audio signal(s) stop working (on scope or audio probe)

At least the customs are OK but the sound section is not the easiest to work with due to the corrosion.

-Carl

Very nice! Can you confirm that the chip is a B-21? I see 2 pins tied to Vcc, right? Which pins are those?I assume that they are modified to work without battery? Basically the pins 43 & 44 (IIRC) are tied to Vcc.
Will have a look later at home!

Took off the red stickers and yes they are B-21 Chips - the two pins solered to the wire are 45/46

OK, I realized I need the EPROMs.

Anyone in the US have EPROMs they could burn and ship to me for this multi?

If anyone has a spare donor board, or knows a good deal please let me know.

^ same for me as well. Looking for a donor board. I may end up with the multi before I have a board from the looks of things.

guys , if you feel confident with repairing this system ... i think this auction can be a good chance :

- https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n439252844

also , this board was reccaped and the board is in working condition :

- https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s752569475
Instead of fighting over them with each other, maybe someone calls them so they don't go mad?

Also F/A is one of the landmark titles on the board and goes quite high normally.
That said, it's worth it if the thing is re-capped in advance.

Also the 4 player loom included in the dead ones is quite cool to see.

Back