What's new
These filters (an inductor and a capacitor at the same part) are meant to filter EMI (electro magnetic interference) generated by the variation of current consumption caused by transistors switching inside the ICs.

@ the OP:

Very likely you blew some analog low power amp with the polarity inversion at the NAMCO board and that's why you have no sound now.

yeah I know they filter EMI. I was trying to make a joke..... they don't really need to be there.

yeah I know they filter EMI. I was trying to make a joke..... they don't really need to be there.
It depends on where in the globe you're at. I believe NAMCO wanted to be able to sell their boards in USA... (FCC regulations)

I have sound...but it sounds like electrical interference/static with the game sounds/music

Actually that was the issue all along the board powers up Video controls work and everything even with that diode blown.
I thought that's why my sound was screwed up. I'm thinking it blew that and a cap somewhere in the sound section....I need to get another esr meter because the one i got sucks and i don't want to desolder each cap to test them out.

Note no obvious damage to any components or caps on the pcb other than that diode and reg i replaced.

Last edited:
I have sound...but it sounds like electrical interference/static with the game sounds/music

Actually that was the issue all along the board powers up Video controls work and everything even with that diode blown.
I thought that's why my sound was screwed up. I'm thinking it blew that and a cap somewhere in the sound section....I need to get another esr meter because the one i got sucks and i don't want to desolder each cap to test them out.

Note no obvious damage to any components or caps on the pcb other than that diode and reg i replaced.
The sound comes from a Cirrus Logic DAC (CS4335) on the PS2 circuit board. Maybe you can get the PS2 schematic on the internet by the file name
"PlayStation2-SCPH30000 Series.PDF" which contains schematics for the PS2 chassis types B (GH-004) B' (GH-005) C (GH-006) and C' (GH-007).

GH-004 was the board used on COH-30000 (early SYS 246s and Konami Python 1) and GH-006 was used on COH-30100 (Later SYS 246s).

I forgot to mention that you can take a lot of parts from a normal retail PS2 to fix dead or faulty COH boards.

Very few parts are incompatible, like for example the mechanics controller chip (CXP102064) the 208 pin QFP (DVD drive DSP chip aka CXD1869) and the BOOT ROM chip, those are specific to the COH board and ones from the retail console won't work in it.

The sound comes from a Cirrus Logic DAC (CS4335) on the PS2 circuit board. Maybe you can get the PS2 schematic on the internet by the file name"PlayStation2-SCPH30000 Series.PDF" which contains schematics for the PS2 chassis types B (GH-004) B' (GH-005) C (GH-006) and C' (GH-007).

GH-004 was the board used on COH-30000 (early SYS 246s and Konami Python 1) and GH-006 was used on COH-30100 (Later SYS 246s).
Cool i got the manual and this is the CS4335
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cirrus-logic-inc/CS4335-KSZ/598-1047-5-ND/923167

This is turning out to be fun...like what component should i get and will it fix it.
In all honesty i have 10 246's and 15 ps2 phats and slims all working.This is more of a hobby i love fixing things.
Usually when i screw stuff up i do it in good lol

You are awesome...so much information.
Keep it coming :)

Last edited:
Please be aware that there are also amplifying circuitry on the namco board...
Maybe check if you have sound at the output of the COH board...

Connect a regular PS2 AV cable on it (connected to some stereo) and turn it on without a dongle. You should hear a few beep chimes then a weird repetitive sound (the sound implies the boot up failed). If that works and the sound is good, the fault is on the sound amp at the NAMCO board.

Please be aware that there are also amplifying circuitry on the namco board...
Maybe check if you have sound at the output of the COH board...

Connect a regular PS2 AV cable on it (connected to some stereo) and turn it on without a dongle. You should hear a few beep chimes then a weird repetitive sound (the sound implies the boot up failed). If that works and the sound is good, the fault is on the sound amp at the NAMCO board.
I've tried 3 different namco i/0 boards samething.

Having the schematics certainly help, but given the cost of a 2X6 and the time you'd have to spend to find the broken part, I'm not sure if I would have the guts to try to repair it :) Me lazy :)

Then it definitely sounds like the PS2 COH board is to blame. Having the schematics help, no? ;)
Yes schematics help a lot thanks buddy :thumbup:

Having the schematics certainly help, but given the cost of a 2X6 and the time you'd have to spend to find the broken part, I'm not sure if I would have the guts to try to repair it :) Me lazy :)
You would of probably had it fixed in a hr or so lol....Your the man :D I'm serous

Back