What's new

RandomRetro

Professional
Reaction score
Replaced the fan and now looking to recap my Blast PSU. Looks like a straight forward recap, but there seems to be a question if I need/should replace the filter cap (Filter cap for this Power Supply is a 820uf 200v 30mm). Question is should make sure to swap the filter cap too?

At the end my Blast City PSU will be power a JVS Naomi Netboot setup.

There is literally no reason not to. It's just as old as all the rest of them. Replace it and never look back. It's not worth trying to save $5 by skipping over it.

Will do. Should get the caps in a week. Soldering is becoming therapy during this lockdown.

PSU Caps arrived, but COVID-19 brain fart, forgot to get the Audio Amp caps. Hope to get them this week and will then recap PSU and Audio Amp at once so I don't have to pull things out/apart twice.

It's definitely worth it. It cleans everything up, video even usually looks clearer with a recapped PSU.
@RandomRetro
I recapped/rebuilt my Blast's PSU last summer from soup to nuts.

While you're there, check for any bad solder joints on other components.
Clean out any debris, replace the 80mm cooling fan, and clean/scrub connectors for any oxidation.
While you got the PSU out, hit up the mating connectors in the cabinet as well with a good scrub.
Good luck. Mine took me a good 3 hours of patient work.

Attachments

• 20190823_194605.jpg
    20190823_194605.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 187
Is that a PBR in the corner of the pic @psykom1? 3 Hours of drinking and recapping sounds like a good time actually. And that end product is a super shinny PSU.

I cleaned out the PSU and replaced the fan right when I got it to make sure things worked and to do some quick preventative work, but need to clean the connectors more and check the solder joints too. Good reminder, thanks.

I think I am still in shock from the collection of shit I cleaned out of there... Should have worn a full hazmat suit when cleaning.

Back