What's new
Hex wrench.

A large flathead screwdriver and some jumper cables with smaller clamps or you can fashion a discharge tool with standard driver and conduit and clamps.

You’ll need a security bit set as Japan seems to use a few security screws.

A ratchet with metric bit set

18-20 gauge wire

Wire crimper

Wire crimps

Wire snips

Heat shrink tubing

Fuses

Exact knife

Optional but helpful:

Class 2 lineman’s gloves

Wire wheel

Soldering iron

Solder sucker

Wire wheel

Solder

Engine lift

Chip programmer

Data analyzer

Oscilloscope

Manual degauss tool

Pallet jack

Buying a cab from KC without someone to go look is a big oof. Life be like that sometimes though.

Last edited:
Buying a cab from KC without some to go look is a big oof. Life be like that sometimes though
It’s certainly a risk. I’m hoping what comes off the truck isn’t too much of a horror show. And well, if it is I guess I’ll learn a lot working on it.

It really do be like that.

Hey guys - got my Astro City in and the condition of the cabinet is pretty good overall, but I'm trying to diagnose a monitor issue. I seem to have no blue signal from my source (MiSTer -> JPAC). Since this is my first cab, I also don't have any actual Jamma boards to test with.

Anyone somewhat local to OK have something they are interested in selling, or loaning briefly? Happy to pay someone for their time, but I'm trying to narrow down my potential issues.

Buy a test board please.

It should cost you $20

Look up the pin order of your JAMMA harness and learn where the each device comes from.

Is it grounded (3 prong on the outlet)?

Are there any slants lines on the screen?

What does the burn in look like?

Burn in does not look bad to my eyes. I can’t spot big areas from looking at it. Sync lines does seem to be slightly slanted rather than purely horizontal when it isn’t being fed a signal.

Only a two prong cable out of the cabinet with no ground. From what I can tell chassis and monitor appear grounded to the case correctly but I do plan on replacing the two prong plug.

My items to build a monitor discharge tool arrive today so that I can discharge and pull the monitor from the case to continue cleaning. After I get it pulled I will work through the connections on the boards and from the jamma harness.

As far as a jamma test board, is there an actual test board, or do you just mean that I should get some cheap game? Sorry if that’s a stupid question, still learning a lot.

Back