What's new

UltraSean

Student
Reaction score
Hey all. I accidentally plugged a (K7000) monitor in without an isolation transformer and saw the big white flash of an afterward dead monitor.

My question is, does both the tube and the PCB get damaged, or just the chassis PCB itself?

Last edited:
I have no advice here as I like to avoid monitors that require iso transformers when possible, but I'd like to know the answers to your questions.

Plugging a chassis that does not require a ISO will not hurt it. The other way around is bad. I have heard of a bad ISO causing issues, but it's rare as I understand.

Would need more detail, chassis model, pics of the chassis in order to start to help.

Standard K7000 and WG 25” monitor combo. Accidentally plugged the monitor in without an isolation transformer. Saw a white flash, monitor now nonworking. I know the Chassis PCB is fried, but I’m curious if that also does damage to the tube as well

Standard K7000 and WG 25” monitor combo. Accidentally plugged the monitor in without an isolation transformer.
This is the exact opposite of what your first post states.

Which is it?

My Astro doesn't use an isolation transformer, just an AC noise filter. I do have it connected to a step down transformer (which is grounded). Super sorry to hear about that but it's a good reminder for those connecting up cabs and old monitors. I could've easily done the same thing. Doubt you actually busted the tube, odds are the high voltage section on your chassis took the hit.

@nem is the monitor overlord here on AP, as well as are several others.

Good luck bud.

My Astro doesn't use an isolation transformer, just an AC noise filter. I do have it connected to a step down transformer (which is grounded). Super sorry to hear about that but it's a good reminder for those connecting up cabs and old monitors. I could've easily done the same thing. Doubt you actually busted the tube, odds are the high voltage section on your chassis took the hit.

@nem is the monitor overlord here on AP, as well as are several others.

Good luck bud.
Thanks. I'm hoping the tube is ok.

My Astro doesn't use an isolation transformer, just an AC noise filter.
I don't know of a single Japanese chassis that needs an isolating transformer. I'm not saying there isn't one, I'm just saying your standard Nanaos, Toeis, Sanwas and Toshibas will not need them.

I don't really mess with Wells Gardners, I have a few, but I actively hate them :P

Back