What's new

Starcade

Student
Reaction score
If there are any Namco System 369 owners who could help with a few questions it would be greatly appreciated. I recently acquired one running TT2 so looking for some basic answers before going forward

1) A TT2 manual - I've searched high and low for a manual and have turned up nothing. If anyone has found an electronic copy and could send me a link that would be very helpful.
2) A label on the unit above the power inlet states it accepts AC voltages between 90~264V. This appears convenient but is it as simple as plugging any voltage in and the unit converts it to what it requires? I've taken out a JAMMA switcher once that would run on 110V and 240V (just the once though). I can supply either 110V (step down) or 240V (direct mains) but since there is an outlet plug on my Blast City (that allows rows of them to be daisy chained to a power source) that would supply 110V to the unit that would be more convenient rather than having a separate power source supplying 240V to it. I assume there is no jumper or switch involved due to voltage variation but want to check.
3) Can the system output at 31khz through the VGA port? I've read contradictory posts saying it does and it doesn't if dipswitch 2 is placed on. I've got trisync monitors in the Blast City cabinets that operate at a maximum res of 31khz. If those don't have the required resolution would a quad sync CRT be any better. I've read that some quad sync monitors will go up to 1280x1024 res but that is model dependant. If TT2 native resolution is 720p or 1080p I would need something suitable that fits the cabinet. If I can get TT2 on a CRT set up in the Blast City that would be great, an HDMI LCD outside the cabinet is the much lesser preferred option. I've also started investigating video downscaling convertors which may be of some assistance but maybe not ideal.

If there are any Namco System 369 owners who could help with a few questions it would be greatly appreciated. I recently acquired one running TT2 so looking for some basic answers before going forward

1) A TT2 manual - I've searched high and low for a manual and have turned up nothing. If anyone has found an electronic copy and could send me a link that would be very helpful.
2) A label on the unit above the power inlet states it accepts AC voltages between 90~264V. This appears convenient but is it as simple as plugging any voltage in and the unit converts it to what it requires? I've taken out a JAMMA switcher once that would run on 110V and 240V (just the once though). I can supply either 110V (step down) or 240V (direct mains) but since there is an outlet plug on my Blast City (that allows rows of them to be daisy chained to a power source) that would supply 110V to the unit that would be more convenient rather than having a separate power source supplying 240V to it. I assume there is no jumper or switch involved due to voltage variation but want to check.
3) Can the system output at 31khz through the VGA port? I've read contradictory posts saying it does and it doesn't if dipswitch 2 is placed on. I've got trisync monitors in the Blast City cabinets that operate at a maximum res of 31khz. If those don't have the required resolution would a quad sync CRT be any better. I've read that some quad sync monitors will go up to 1280x1024 res but that is model dependant. If TT2 native resolution is 720p or 1080p I would need something suitable that fits the cabinet. If I can get TT2 on a CRT set up in the Blast City that would be great, an HDMI LCD outside the cabinet is the much lesser preferred option. I've also started investigating video downscaling convertors which may be of some assistance but maybe not ideal.
1. I'll have to check if I have a manual at the storage. But I can't go there at the moment because of the lockdown. If I have one, I will scan it.

2. Just plug it in and it works, whatever the input voltage is. It's automatic.

3. As far as I remember, only System 357 could output 640x480p resolution via the VGA port (Tekken 6 and Tekken 6 BR), we were used to run Tekken 6 BR in a Naomi cabinet. On th other hand, Tekken Tag 2 on System 369 outputs 720p only. Some Hantarex arcade CRTs can handle that resolution, but it's not common. I remember that we replaced the 29" 4/3 CRT of a Naomi with a 26" 16/9 LCD PC monitor. The width fit perfectly but we had to fill the gaps above and below the monitor (we used painted wood).

If you cant get the arcade hardware to run on a 4:3 display what about trying the poor mans way and using a PS3 running TT2? I know it's not the same but at least you can configure the PS3 for 4:3 and have some alternate connection options.

Thanks guys, that's helped me out. I was more worried about the power input voltage initially.

So, I powered it up and noticed immediately that the fan above the HDD had imploded, so powered off immediately. That was a strange one because I would have expected some impact damage to the casing to do that but there was zero. All the plastic supports to the central fan had sheared around the external square housing. Changed the fan and rebooted and was pleasantly surprised that it was TTT2U instead of TTT2. The system booted to 75% and then held when it could not detect a JVS I/O - I was hoping it would go on to demo mode without anything plugged in but not to be. I need to move this to a test rig now away from where my HD monitor is so I can power a JVS I/O on it. I'll have to shift the monitor too but I'm not in a hurry right now, when I've got some extra free time I'll make the set up.

The manual that came with my board is the PCB Kit Manual, the only dip switch it even shows is switch 1 to get into test mode. It only shows the 369 pcb being switched into a Namco Noir cabinet replacing a 357 board.

I see nothing in the manual mentioning changing resolutions for the screen. Then again having never messed with the dip switches other than going into test mode, I have no personal knowledge of this being a possibly or not.

Also worth noting i'm pretty sure there is a 'timelock' on the arcade hardware if not connected to Namco servers

Also worth noting i'm pretty sure there is a 'timelock' on the arcade hardware if not connected to Namco servers
It's true for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited. The game needs to be patched to remove it, otherwise, you get an error after a while.

Thanks for the clarification, I couldnt remember if it was just TT2U or the arcade platform itself

Thanks for the clarification, I couldnt remember if it was just TT2U or the arcade platform itself
The protection varies from game to game but in general, all titles require a connection to Namco server. It's bound to the game software and not to the hardware itself (except for the need of a specific Net dongle to connect the network but it's not part of the system).

Back