What's new

tengugurl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiii!
My Atomiswave stopped working for an unknown reason...
I installed a fan (noctua) today and made sure to make sure yellow/black are together per the many instructions out there but, as soon as I went to turn it on

(Blank........)
I could hear the fan though.. no signal via jamma or VGA.

Went to my friends house and tried it on his Atomiswave cab and g-balance but, still no luck.

This doesn't seem like that sophisticated of a board, a simple fan swap shouldnt stop it from working, right?
I bypassed the fan rabbit hole (aka similar to DC, they are picky) and nothing else was done.

I hope some super smart gurus out there have a few suggestions to try as I am at a loss.

Thanks so much!

Equally dumb question. Does it work with the old fan still?

Does anyone who know how to fix the atomiswave original game card^+^.All the (2 pcs SS6+1 pcs Fist of the north star) game card were broken.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 193
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 181
I have put the old fan back and it still didn't boot.

I did also try to run it without the fan and it didn't boot.

:(

Dip Switch 1 needs to be in the on position for VGA, maybe that is the problem?

Otherwise, there is not much to the Atomiswave pcb. It is possible you may have damaged the pcb taking it apart. It will boot games stripped down and without the fan connected (just no sound).

Interesting thing. If I plug the VGA cable in and have dip switch 1 down, the fan doesn't turn at all.

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/atomiswave-motherboard-faulty-diodes_topic364567.html

There is not much of a repair scene for these pcbs. The link above talks about quad TVS diodes and tripping them
(http://www.semtech.com/images/promo/What_are_TVS_Diodes.pdf)

Per another forum: these are used to protect ESD sensitive components from power spikes. It's not in-line with the inputs so the board still works without it. If the power spike is big enough to destroy the diodes and make a short between anode and cathode the input lines will be grounded as the anode is normally connected to ground. Removing the device removes the short.

They also say in a different forum:
If there is indeed such a short in the TVS, removing the diode will fix things. If you can't desolder it you could cut the traces to pins 1, 4, 5 with some sharp blade but be careful not to damage other things. I recommend desoldering

Guess I will be inspecting the board tomorrow. Never thought to inspect the board after adding a fan (figured it was security/fuse that blew) maybe these are just that ❤️

If it fixes my issue, this will be great documentation for the next person who has this issue

Back