What's new
Other tips might be usefull, as they were for me:
Get a copy of "ON SEMICONDUCTOR TTL data book". This is like bread to me, it will help you understand logic of chips, how they works, where to check outputs (mostly), what are gates and so on.
it's free and you can download it online, print where you want for few euros.

Then get a logic probe, it's cheaper and you can find it pretty much easely anywhere. This is a essential tool to work with.

Generally i tend to have these steps:
Visual inspection (bridges, broken traces, missing stuff, bent pins, backward/wrong placements), this usually surprise me, i have fixed some boards just by doing that.

Inspect the main functions of the board, CPU (booting or not, HALT and RESET Lines+circuit involved for it), correct program rom, main work rams

Inspect clock and correct htz

If you burn roms, be sure you done it right, with the right eeprom (there's tons of difference, example 27c040 to 27c4001) and right location (Maskrom or jedec) and right burn of them (if you get an error, any sort, don't even considering use it)

USE SOCKETS anytime you can

Then i suddivided the issue (if the game boots) by 3 categories:
Vertical lines/character errors with background ok -> dump and check roms, if ok, check the palette/customs and reflow or change

Game running but no audio, check OP amp or DAC

Error on displaying graphics (scrambled sprites), check rams and then logic involved within.

These are also the stuff i used to call "shit" and sometimes i don't even check, i just change them:

Toshiba RAMS
Fujitsu TTLS
Konami audio modules
Konami color dac
Konami 051550 reset master
Taito rgb + taito custom reset generator
Taito maskroms (the worst of the bunch)
Midway shitty soldering job
Data East transistors (due to pin adapting, bending and snapping by height)

Get a copy of "ON SEMICONDUCTOR TTL data book".
Funny you say that, a couple of days ago I was doing some spring cleaning in my stuff and found those old books (TTL, RAM, etc.) I haven't used for years cause it's all in my head now. What a waste! I could use that memory space to learn a Shakespeare's play and impress people instead. Because truth is nobody cares you know what output to expect on that specific gate according to its inputs. :D

The books was the boss, but now google makes finding datasheets so much faster.
Prob. never need to look in those books again...

The size and weight of the books makes me tempted to ditch them and use that shelf for more interesting looking junk.
but if you throw them away 2 days later you will need it because page 228 of some mad range is not scanned well online haha.

Get a copy of "ON SEMICONDUCTOR TTL data book".
Funny you say that, a couple of days ago I was doing some spring cleaning in my stuff and found those old books (TTL, RAM, etc.) I haven't used for years cause it's all in my head now. What a waste! I could use that memory space to learn a Shakespeare's play and impress people instead. Because truth is nobody cares you know what output to expect on that specific gate according to its inputs. :D
I tease Channelmanic about that. He's funny as hell, and his electronics/computer/cisco knowledge is absolutely insane.........but if you get him rolling....he can lose you in a real hurry, and not realize it for awhile, while he keeps going.

I always try to absorb as much as possible...because none of us, should ever pass the opportunity to watch masters of anything, perform their craft....but even knowing the terminology, the effortless speed at which he works, is mind boggling, just like the level of work that you, and many of our other extremely talented members accomplish.

Some of us are effortless with math, or botany, or talking to people, and some folks are effortless with gate outputs, or can quote you your name in binary AND hex off the tip of their tongues. We all have our part to play.

I bought one of these books because yes it’s available on Google, but sometimes you run into needing more information than just the pinout and the only places that even appear on a search are those horrible datasheet websites where they block everything behind ad walls.

I still mostly just search it up online, but I like having the book

While we're talking about books, everyone should go ahead and get these Randy Fromm books and videos that @XeD shared:
WTB: Randy Fromm DVDs / Books

They really helped me out, and I've got them printed out still refer to them from time-to-time. There's also an Atari Book dealing with Arcade Repairs linked in that thread which is very good too.

Are there any chips, ics or similar which I should surely have as basic equipment? If I ordered straight IC sockets and it was worth the shipping, I would order more.

IC socket common sizes I use a lot and keep regular stock of:

24 pin 0.3"
28 pin 0.3"
28 pin 0.6"
32 pin
40 pin

Basic tools:
Soldering iron
Good leaded solder
Multimeter
Logic probe
Fibreglass pen
Hobby knife

That should get you started :)

no 42 pin sockets? man I go through those more than anything else.

that and 16 and 20 pin narrow sockets too.

Sockets are on the shopping list, thank you all. Regarding eprom, ram or capacitor, is there something you can always use?

Funny you say that, a couple of days ago I was doing some spring cleaning in my stuff and found those old books (TTL, RAM, etc.) I haven't used for years cause it's all in my head now. What a waste! I could use that memory space to learn a Shakespeare's play and impress people instead. Because truth is nobody cares you know what output to expect on that specific gate according to its inputs.
Really? I used to have the entirety of Macbeth memorized, but it never impressed anyone I knew other than a few people in theatre. I think people would be more impressed if I could use tech knowledge to fix some broken PCBs. =)

no 42 pin sockets? man I go through those more than anything else.

that and 16 and 20 pin narrow sockets too.
I have them but I find 24/28/32/40 are the most common and I buy what I need as I need it outside of that. I do have all of those sizes at the moment after looking at a Konami board...

I'm thinking about importing @Hammy for a couple weeks when I move. See if I can have him sneak his lifefirce cabinet under his shirt or something

The books was the boss, but now google makes finding datasheets so much faster.
Prob. never need to look in those books again...

The size and weight of the books makes me tempted to ditch them and use that shelf for more interesting looking junk.
but if you throw them away 2 days later you will need it because page 228 of some mad range is not scanned well online haha.
Google is great for finding data sheets except for those rare times you actually need a specific data sheet and it takes hours to find it or it doesnt exist online anymore.

This is why I just keep digital copys of almost every datasheet and manual and schematic I ever look at now lmao.

I love the TTL Data Book. Found a used copy a while ago and I have been using it a lot. Prefer it over looking at the schematics on a screen.

Back