What's new

Brentradio

Champion
Reaction score
What's up!

I have the Darksoft MVS multi and a trackball setup.

How do I get it working so I can play these games with my trackball?

Irritating Maze

Pop 'n Bounce

Has anyone used a trackball with the Darksoft MVS ?

Irritating Maze requires a specific BIOS and an additional I/O board on the JAMMA edge to function properly.
IIRC it originally used a MV-1B slot.

I thought about reproducing the I/O board but never found one.

Irritating Maze requires a specific BIOS and an additional I/O board on the JAMMA edge to function properly.
IIRC it originally used a MV-1B slot.

I thought about reproducing the I/O board but never found one.
Correct. I have a whole setup minus the original trackball. I'd be willing to loan you the IO board if you want to repo it. it handles not just the trackball but also the IO for the lamps, stobes, and air valve. There is also a secondary Relay PCB for the strobes/air valve.

IIRC it uses an ASIC, has that been dumped?

Correct. I have a whole setup minus the original trackball. I'd be willing to loan you the IO board if you want to repo it. it handles not just the trackball but also the IO for the lamps, stobes, and air valve. There is also a secondary Relay PCB for the strobes/air valve.
IIRC it uses an ASIC, has that been dumped?
Could you please take a close up of that chip?

Could you please take a close up of that chip?
There's a good pic of it in the mvs scans link I posted above, though it has a sticker on it. I can get a pic of mine later tonight to see if the chip number is readable.

There's a good pic of it in the mvs scans link I posted above, though it has a sticker on it. I can get a pic of mine later tonight to see if the chip number is readable.
Thanks, our messages crossed.

[EDIT]
EPM7128 chip seems undumped but I think could be replaced for the trackball part by something like the µPD4701 plus a LS273 for data latching. You'd lose the outputs control of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd lose the outputs control of course.
I think that's only really problematic for dedicated cabs as I think the trackball lamp is the only one used in the "kit" version.

for me though I my eventual plan is to try to rig up a small compressor, nozzle, and valve as well as some strobe lights on a Sega Style control panel for the "full" experience :D

If you need any pictures or or probing of anything specific, or if you'd like to just borrow my PCB let me know.

I can commiserate with that, I also don't usually like to borrow stuff for the same reason.

if you want to try making a functionally equivalent PCB from afar though I'd be happy to meter out traces and/or take pictures for you.

First I need to understand how it connects to the motherboard. Can't simply seat on the JAMMA.

First I need to understand how it connects to the motherboard. Can't simply seat on the JAMMA.
it's a JAMMA pass-through in additional to that small ~8 pin harness with blue wires (CON1) that plugs into the side of the mobo.

the other connectors are outputs for lamps/compressor. I believe the trackball is designed to connect to the JAMMA edge.

it's a JAMMA pass-through in additional to that small ~8 pin harness with blue wires (CON1) that plugs into the side of the mobo
That's the important part for me now. I imagine it would be connected to the data bus and few other vital signals.
Can you probe it please?

Excellent!

Keep this going guys!

Let me know if you will be shipping stuff back and forth and I pledge to pay for the postage both ways.

:D

Great news, member @ack is donating a full setup to the cause (slot, I/O board, trackball). Many thanks to him.
I first need to get it running (it's untested and might need a bit of TLC) then I'll work from there.

@twistedsymphony I still need the pinout of the cable going to the motherboard since it's missing in the lot I'm getting (but I guess it's a 1:1 connection and thus there's only 2 possibilities and by identifying power pins I could probably safely assume I got it right).

ok so
CN4: Mobo - JST NH 8-Pin
CON1: SIT Board - (unknown connector type) 8-Pin

If you go by the silk screened numbering on both PCBs then pin1 = pin 1 pin 2= pin 2 all the way through pin 8. Pin 1 is a white wire on the harness while all other wires are blue.

HOWEVER, the embossed pin numbering of the JST NH connector housing is backward from the silkscreen. for CN4.
embossed pin numbering on the CON1 housing matches silk screen.

Here's a pic:
IMG_20200531_100639240.jpg

I also got a pic of the FPGA which didn't have the part number obscured by the sticker:
IMG_20200531_100708283.jpg

The cable that goes between the daughterboard and the motherboard is included. Its the cable(s) that connect to the trackball housing that are missing.

Back