What's new
I just got my track ball setup working so I'm very interested in this.

What about the other game, Pop N Bounce?

:D

what makes you think pop'n bounce is a trackball game?

it looks like it should use a spinner.

Reactions: nem
what makes you think pop'n bounce is a trackball game?

it looks like it should use a spinner.
Yep, your right.

It's half a trackball.

:D

Same question though, has anyone hooked up a spinner for this game? Although you in theory could use a trackball for it.

?(

isn't that what the Brizzo spinner PCB is for?
Brizzo spinner PCB will work in any game with digital inputs.

However, with Pop'n Bounce there's a separate controller option in the soft dip for either Joystick or Paddle. Stands to reason that it could have support for quadrature signals of an analog spinner controller too?

I don't know about analog spinner, that would require specialized hardware to accept analog inputs that I don't believe the MVS has. Normal rotary spinners are just pulse data so that can function on the same hardware as normal digital inputs as long as it has good timing control.

Given that Irritating Maze needs a special interface PCB I'd guess that the MVS doesn't have the right IO timing control for a rotary input either.

IIRC the Brizzo spinner PCB is based on an SNK circuit design that was never released. My assumption would be that was planned for games like Pop'n Bounce which left you with the dip option but no hardware to make it work.

of course you could just hook up a spinner to the JAMMA edge, flip the virtual dip and see if it works.

I was hoping to use a normal Arkanoid spinner with the Red Happ sensor board.

Received the trackball, I/O board and slot from @ack today.

What I can say:
- it's just a standard MV1B slot with a dedicated BIOS
- extra connector on the motherboard simply replicates OUT1~3 signals since MV1B slots don't have joypad connectors
- it is possible to play trackball games on any other slot as long as you have the OUT1~3 signals available. Either through the controller ports or directly from the chip on the motherboard. Then you need to install the dedicated BIOS. You could even use the trackball on an AES.
- reproducing the trackball part of the I/O board is easy. Outputs shouldn't be too complicated either.

I'm going to release the schematics for the trackball part, then I'll work on the outputs part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have that information to give. Though isn't it usually just on the LRUD pins?

I don't have that information to give. Though isn't it usually just on the LRUD pins?
As you know the trackball connects to the JAMMA edge of the SIT board. But where should I connect XA/XB and YA/YB?
I will probe the LRUD pins to see if they are passed through or if they go to the FPGA.

Back