What's new
Look at what happened to the Cave PGM conversions. They went from being available only from AMB, to this forum figuring it out, to a full fledged business.

You can get the carts anywhere: eBay, aliexpress, etc. are littered with them. They’re easily the three most accessible arcade shmups now. The prices of the originals has plummeted for the most part.

I’m not against it at all, just using it as a point of reference... where there’s money to be made off open source information, there’s always an opportunist out there willing to set up shop. Thankfully PGM carts are in mass abundance.

Given the nature of how things have and are going with arcade prices, I agree with @twistedsymphony and his stance. There’s enough people out there who will convert anything they read about, whether they like the game or not, to inflate the price and demand of a game within minutes or hours of posting. It’s a concern then when vendors see the prices raise and then raise all arcade prices and in the end we all end up paying a little more each day.

that's a good example of the other side of it.

To my original point: I'm not saying releasing conversion info is good or bad, all I'm saying is that when I discover something, I personally consider the consequences of that information before I share it.

you all know I've released a lot of conversion info and helped a lot with other's conversion efforts. But there are also some things I've discovered that I will personally never release because it would break my heart to see the effects it would have on the community.

Yep. And sharing info to mates or a small circle first is admirable also, as it gives a few people a chance to get in before the hype. I ain’t mad at that. Just trickle a little info to my PM’s ;).

I applaud and envy those who persevere through the conversion creation process just to share information out there, but many times it’s damaging the prices of games a lot further down the line than just the candidate.

I like @Apocalypse model where he will take a donation for a set of work he has done. It’s almost like you have to pay entry. And a lot of cheapskates or opportunists won’t, which in a way safeguards it for an interim period.

I agree with you, but at the end of the day, that's gatekeeping it.
keeping something to yourself is not gatekeeping. It's only gatekeeping if I were to go out of my way to attempt to slience others from sharing that information.
We'll have to disagree on that one. Just the definition of it is, "the activity of controlling, and usually limiting, general access to something."
that's a good example of the other side of it.

To my original point: I'm not saying releasing conversion info is good or bad, all I'm saying is that when I discover something, I personally consider the consequences of that information before I share it.

you all know I've released a lot of conversion info and helped a lot with other's conversion efforts. But there are also some things I've discovered that I will personally never release because it would break my heart to see the effects it would have on the community.
An my point to you is, yes, do what you feel is right because there are no 100% right answers here, just opinions. I may not agree with everyone's opinion here, but I sure as hell do respect you and yours.

So, please don't think this is an attack or an attempt to change anyone's mind.

For me, and my opinion. I take advantage of opportunities on A-P when you guys present them, and I don't when you don't. If things start getting super expensive, I'll look for the cheaper option, such as a multi or conversion. If a multi or conversion lower the value of something I have, I don't care.

And when things come out that can play the games cheaper, such as a port to PS4 or MiSTer core, even better because more people can enjoy and I don't care if my ESPGaluda PCB is worth less now because someone showed how to make a PGM cart of it!

We'll have to disagree on that one. Just the definition of it is, "the activity of controlling, and usually limiting, general access to something."
I've always interpreted it as the act of filtering public information when deciding if it should be re-distributed to another audience as described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatekeeping_(communication)

in other words it's the act of filtering the information that you pass from one source to another, not the act of filtering information that originates from you.

there's usually a connotation that the gatekeeper is deciding who is "worthy" of seeing the information. But maybe my understanding is more colloquial and not textbook.

I've always interpreted it as the act of filtering public information when deciding if it should be re-distributed to another audience as described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatekeeping_(communication)
in other words it's the act of filtering the information that you pass from one source to another, not the act of filtering information that originates from you.

there's usually a connotation that the gatekeeper is deciding who is "worthy" of seeing the information. But maybe my understanding is more colloquial and not textbook.
That's fair as well. All terms now have what I consider negative connotation because of how online arguments have evolved.

For me, it's literal that you are keeping something from others. The reason for it is not taken into account, but I'll agree that today, the reason behind it is highlighted as a negative thing, such that maybe the phrase for you is more negative then I meant it to be.

You're not keeping this information (originating from you or other sources) for nefarious reasons, but by keeping it, you are preventing others from having it. That's not good or bad, just a statement.

It's not like you've figured out a source for clean renewable energy or the cure to male pattern baldness and you're keeping it yourself because you have stock in oil companies or Rogaine... OR DO YOU!!?!!?!

I think it wise to keep certain information limited. It's only a small minority of people with selfish desires that ruin things for the larger community however those few people inflict great damage.

One person (not on Arcade-Projects) whom I know actually sits and waits, researches and tries to predict the next popular and soon to be in high demand arcade PCB; ready to pounce on any opportunity to deplete the market of said PCB so that he may stockpile and sell them at inflated prices. Drying up supply and artificially inflating pricing.

The fact that it's premeditated really rubs me the wrong way.

It's not like you've figured out a source for clean renewable energy or the cure to male pattern baldness and you're keeping it yourself because you have stock in oil companies or Rogaine... OR DO YOU!!?!!?!
I wish. if had any of that information you'd see me building the world's largest arcade with all the fat stacks of cash I'd be pulling in.
One person (not on Arcade-Projects) whom I know actually sits and waits, researches and tries to predict the next popular and soon to be in high demand arcade PCB; ready to pounce on any opportunity to deplete the market of said PCB so that he may stockpile and sell them at inflated prices. Drying up supply and artificially inflating pricing.
That's gross :( I get people want to make money but I wish they would put that effort into a profit venture that that produce a tangible benefit rather than just siphoning cash out of the system.

I think it wise to keep certain information limited. It's only a small minority of people with selfish desires that ruin things for the larger community however those few people inflict great damage.

The fact that it's premeditated really rubs me the wrong way.
I swear, I DO have two PCBs of Guardians of the Hood, but only because one is still broke that I'm trying to fix. It has nothing to do with the rumor of the GotH conversion to Primal Rage 2 that's been on Twitter...

i like the discussion, some i agree, some not, but i think its been discussed enought.
However this conversion is not much like finding gold, much work, donor is not that common (or cheap), reward for money isn't that great.
The only reward is that you get a cool game in favour of a shitty fighter.
I think that if i find more in the future i will hide a crucial spot to the guide, if people really wanna have that, they must put some effort in it. No more copy/paste from here.
Its the best i can do, and i want to, because i was able to have many games with your forum and i hate to take without giving back something, its in my dna.
Btw, i think that those "stack of cheap 20$ pcbs for a 500$game" are no longer exist in 2020. Might be wrong here, but i doubt. I've seen literally SHIT, speaking about retrogames, being asked for prices that i would never imagined 20yrs ago.

I think that if i find more in the future i will hide a crucial spot to the guide, if people really wanna have that, they must put some effort in it. No more copy/paste from here.
leaving out steps seems kind of cruel. there are ways to relay all of the information while still requiring someone to do the work, like I did here: Converting Ah Eikou no Koshien to Gun & Frontier (Taito F2 Hardware)

I've seen literally SHIT, speaking about retrogames, being asked for prices that i would never imagined 20yrs ago.
the prices are unbelievable these days. some people say it's a bubble but I don't know. I can't imagine someone who overpaid $500 for a game today being willing to sell it for a more reasonable price tomorrow, if prices do come down it will be slowly and over the course of many many years IMO.

the fact of the matter is that arcades are reopening and more people are collecting so there is way more buyers and fewer and fewer PCBs for sale.

I think a private share club is in order of trusted contributors, just saying :thumbup:

But realistically, most conversions are still expensive anyways in general and it is a lot of work still. Between hunting down a board/customs, etc..actual work to be done, soldering/desoldering components can be a true pain and no guaranteed something wont go wrong.

I have no problems buying a conversion if its identified as such and its explained how it was done; hacked roms/code or not, etc... and the price is reasonable.

I for one would share everything freely, but I do see the concerns @twistedsymphony points out. But, I also agree with @TheDeath viewpoints.

I believe this discussion is heading in the right direction though, and can help establish some guidelines on how to release such info going forward?!?

Last edited:
It's only a bubble in the sense that once we start getting old or dying, or where we downsize our lives, the value will plummet.

Look at pretty much all collectable markets. Values drop when the demographic that collected them loses (or dies) interest.

When will that happen? No idea. I love PCBs and cabinets, but MiSTer siren song is drawing me toward it!

It's only a bubble in the sense that once we start getting old or dying, or where we downsize our lives, the value will plummet.

Look at pretty much all collectable markets. Values drop when the demographic that collected them loses (or dies) interest.

When will that happen? No idea. I love PCBs and cabinets, but MiSTer siren song is drawing me toward it!
Careful on that Mister talk- I did this back around 2005, give or take, with mame and sold my complete collection, which was enormous. Now, starting back collecting a little over a year ago or so, it hurts my pocket to think about what I had and what it now takes to get to that place again, which will probably never happen. By the way, I too like the idea of a private share group, just not sure how it would work.

By the way, I too like the idea of a private share group, just not sure how it would work
Could work by limits of posts, something like around 150 for a minimum entry, and small fee (maybe to help bigger projects here) so the people who share can have access to a "free" copy (so they gain something back for it).
Basically anything that can discourage people who "float" here just for that.

By the way, I too like the idea of a private share group, just not sure how it would work
Could work by limits of posts, something like around 150 for a minimum entry, and small fee (maybe to help bigger projects here) so the people who share can have access to a "free" copy (so they gain something back for it).Basically anything that can discourage people who "float" here just for that.
Agree with that 100%

now THAT is gatekeeping.
You can't have one foot in two different shoes (don't know how this sounds in english but should be clear enought haha)
You wanna do it but you don't wanna do it, thats indecision to me. :D

You can't have one foot in two different shoes (don't know how this sounds in english but should be clear enought haha)
If one shoe is larger than the other you can :)

Back