What's new

mbd

Student
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an arcade machine earlier this year (a very nice Game Wizard Extreme from Arcooda) and the bug kind of hit. I love the look of the Vewlix cabinets so decided to try and find a genuine one to tinker with. That's arrived this week thanks to a fellow member here selling a Vewlix F. And now, I have a lot of questions. Hoping they are not too dumb. I have tried to help myself a little before asking :).

1. I have a Taito Type X2 inside with a multi-game disk attached. It's got MAME installed on it already and I'd really like to try and explore a little more about how I might do things like trimming down the game list, perhaps putting a newer version of MAME on it, or even testing to see if Final Burn Neo will work. I don't believe this is the Niko's freeware option, but I'm not really sure how to tell what I do have. I've imaged the full disk, so hoping there's an easy way to tell based on files/directory hierarchy/etc. I can see that there's three partitions on the disk, and the largest first partition appears to have format of

\GAMES\<name of the game>\game.exe

There's also a folder called "TypeXsys" if that helps identify anything...

2. If I want to install a Seimitsu stick into the Vewlix control panel, it looks like the standard mounts they come with may not work. Can anyone confirm this? I saw a 'universal' mount on eBay for around USD$25 (plus about $30 $17 shipping to Australia). The existing mount looks like be a 3" x 3" square metal plate if that helps.

3. I've read that some people put in a mini amplifier to improve the sound. TBH, I'm not looking for louder, but if the audio quality is noticeably improved, I'll add it to my project list. I'm assuming it's a matter of unplugging the correct plug(s) from the Taito AMP PCB and just hooking the speakers into the amp's speaker plugs. If there's something more to it though, feel free to suggest.

4. I'm 99% sure I am going to rotate the screen to tate mode for shmup use. If anyone has any cautionary tales about this, feel free to share you wisdom :). (FWIW, I am mainly looking for this to be a near dedicated single player machine for games like ESP Ra.De, Battle Garegga, etc, and use the Game Wizard Extreme for everything else.

Thanks for listening, and in advance if you have any advice on any of the above :)

Last edited:
1.) It sounds like maybe a modified version of my v1.4 multi, if you want the latest ( v2.0 ) shoot me a PM, though I cant help with MAME

2.) Correct, in order to install a Seimitsu stick you will need the universal mount. They are actually made by a user on here ( @Hadouken Arcade ). Here is the THREAD

3.) You can get varying results, the biggest problem is the X2 chipset / sound driver isnt the greatest.

Reactions: mbd
4.) Rotate away. Super straight forward on the Vewlix. Check the manual for a play-by-play or I think there are steps also on Arcade Otaku wiki. Though I have to admit, if you are playing mame or 4:3 ratio games you don’t get that much more real estate. But it is easy enough to try it out and see what you think.

Reactions: mbd
Back