What's new

rememberizer

Student
Reaction score
I've installed CRT Emudriver on my PC and into my Aero City MS8-26 for Retroarch and online fighting games, and it's actually working great for that purpose.
Unfortunately, it's not perfect. I'm getting faint diagonal "waves" across my video image that occasionally disappear, as well as a horizontal band of faint static that scrolls upward.

The setup is:

Dell Vostro E7500 Core2Duo 2.96ghz
Radeon HD7450
THS7316 video amp, 75ohm termination on input, no termination on output. Powered by USB.
Cheap stereo amp fed with the 3.5mm jack. Powered by stock cab PSU.

The PC is plugged into the outlet on the back of the cab

I tried several things. Unplugging Audio does nothing. Powering the video amp using an external 5v PSU does nothing. Changing the video cable does nothing. Disconnecting the Arcade PSU from the jamma harness and power line reduces the diagonal waves, but the horizontal band remains.

Not that none of this happens when I use an arcade board or a Raspberry Pi. What do you guys do to fix this for your CRT Emudriver setups? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get a good image from this, might just scrap this whole project if it doesn't work out!

I’m not familiar with that video amp, jpac is what I would use and setup CRT emudriver to 15khz arcade CRT..

Maybe something in the power line is causing that issue but it could be the video amp, video card or CRT emudrive not setup for the right monitor frequency.

try unplugging the PC from the back of the cab and directly to a power outlet..if problem continues.. take the PC out of the cab and have an external power source to power the PC and connect everything back while the PC is outside then try.. if issue continues, try to test the PC in another monitor or PVM without the video amp..

the last thing that I would check is the installation CRT emudrive and set it to 15khz arcade CRT and see what happens.

If nothing works,, get a jpac and see what happens.

Make sure the amp is grounded to shield ground (the casing of the VGA connector) not video ground (pin 5)

I’m not familiar with that video amp, jpac is what I would use and setup CRT emudriver to 15khz arcade CRT..

Maybe something in the power line is causing that issue but it could be the video amp, video card or CRT emudrive not setup for the right monitor frequency.

try unplugging the PC from the back of the cab and directly to a power outlet..if problem continues.. take the PC out of the cab and have an external power source to power the PC and connect everything back while the PC is outside then try.. if issue continues, try to test the PC in another monitor or PVM without the video amp..

the last thing that I would check is the installation CRT emudrive and set it to 15khz arcade CRT and see what happens.

If nothing works,, get a jpac and see what happens.
CRT Emudriver is set up for 15khz Arcade CRT. I actually moved it to my TV setup (through an RGB to Component adapter) and it works great over there.

Also to double check, the diagonal waves are actually there on the pi setup, but only if I amp. They are MUCH fainter though, so I never noticed it before. I also don't need to amp on the Pi for whatever reason.

acblunden2: I tried that just now, same result :(

Did you try @SNK-NEO-GEO’s suggestion? Plug the PC into a wall outlet, not the one on the back of the cab.

Yes, I started by powering it that way and plugged into the cab later on just to compare. Nothing changed. It might be due to the amp, I'll try the circuit that Arthrimus has on the Jammaizer thread using a THS7374. Maybe it will help!

Back