What's new

plasia

Grand Master
Reaction score
My first idea for housing my supergun was to go full stupid mode and use an old M&M plastic bucket and just cut holes for all the connectors.
A711966.jpg

But then I thought about all these old PCs I have in decent cases lying around doing nothing. It makes mounting the power supply (I'm going ATX) really easy, I can use the power button to switch everything on, I can use the USB ports for the 2x undamned usb decoder, mount the cd drive for the CPS3, have airflow, drill some simple holes in a 5.25" bay for test/service/credit buttons... It just seems to all fit in.

Any clues on how I could mount the PCB in there though? I'm only really looking to mount a CPS3 or a Naomi. But that's where I'm stuck, is there an obvious solution for this. What do people think?

That's a nice one.

I'd personally be intereste on a Supergun with a more Arcade Shape. Maybe a Sir Arthur from GnG or a Pacman head :)

if your going cps i would just drill and thread some holes on the MB tray. as for a naomi you could strip it and a netdimm down to bare and see if you can again drill holes and thread them on the MB tray
not sure how well it would work for the naomi though haven stripped mine down yet so i don't know the PCB layout

if your going cps i would just drill and thread some holes on the MB tray. as for a naomi you could strip it and a netdimm down to bare and see if you can again drill holes and thread them on the MB tray
not sure how well it would work for the naomi though haven stripped mine down yet so i don't know the PCB layout
I think the naomi should fit in an ATX case, even with the netdimm, hopefully I'm right ;) not sure where to put the capcom i/o yet though.

I was thinking of removing all the motherboard standoffs and just laying some velcro down and using wood. Not like it's going to be seen and would allow me to be able to swap them out.

But then I thought about all these old PCs I have in decent cases lying around doing nothing. It makes mounting the power supply (I'm going ATX) really easy, I can use the power button to switch everything on, I can use the USB ports for the 2x undamned usb decoder, mount the cd drive for the CPS3, have airflow, drill some simple holes in a 5.25" bay for test/service/credit buttons... It just seems to all fit in.
So... a consolized CPS3.. just a slightly nonstandard interpretation of consolization.
Personally, I think it's a good idea and would work fine, but as I don't have a CPS3, I'm not exactly sure what size this would be- personally, if it would fit, I'd try to use one of those home theatre component styled pc cases or some kind of desktop form factor over a tower design.

Personally, I think it's a good idea and would work fine, but as I don't have a CPS3, I'm not exactly sure what size this would be- personally, if it would fit, I'd try to use one of those home theatre component styled pc cases or some kind of desktop form factor over a tower design.
I did some testing, the CPS3 fits into an e-atx case but not an atx case (not without dremel type mods anyway), it's just a tiny bit big.

I have revised my mod idea as I don't have any e-atx cases I want to donate to this (I am a bit of a PC guy...). I will simply have the supergun in the PC case and the naomi or cps3 on top.

I ordered the CPS3 plexi from Jasen so I can place the CPS3 on top of the supergun.

Project update: Not dead!!!!

Did you know that organising weddings and working extra to pay for them takes up all of your time? Crazy I know!

After searching ebay for a while I found this and it finally arrive today:
$_57.JPG

With this I can be really non-invasive when I connect the USB ports on the case to the Undamned USB decoders.

Other things and plans:
1) I want it to support naomi off the same power supply, I have an ATX breakout board from an old project to make this easy. My naomi setup is currently a gigantic mess with 2 power supplies, an old supergun and a capcom IO (it works!) an atx case will look much neater since I can shove the IO in there
2) I have the CPS3 Plexi to install
3) I need to get a SCSI2SD when I've checked my CPS3 board with the original drive (I could install the drive I guess, but then the case would have to be upright, I kinda don't want to buy a horizontal case, I'm trying to reuse old stuff!)
4) Need to get a better scart plug, not sure how I'm going to cut the 5.25" bay yet
5) Need to do a mock build of the supergun to make sure everything is working

Now for the question: Do I need to make an audio attenuation circuit for the CPS3?

You'll need an audio attenuation circuit if you want to use the Jamma audio. If you want to use it from the RCA outs on the CPS3, I believe you'll need some kind of amplification although I'm not sure what's appropriate. You might be able to find a fairly cheap amp/pre-amp small enough for $15-20 on Amazon that will fit right inside the case if you don't want to rely entirely on some external hi-fi setup.

If it were up to me I'd personally have switchable outputs for both attenuated and unattenuated audio, in addition to a passthrough for the cp3's own RCA out (something I will be doing in my own CPS3 consolisation project).

Believe it or not this is almost done.

It's also super ghetto rofl!

Attachments

• CvkirwjUEAAss5e.jpg
    CvkirwjUEAAss5e.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 174
incredible how bummed out I am right now.

Anyone have any experience running a component neobitz with a cps3? I'm using a sync cleaner but not getting a usable image.

Anyone have any experience running a component neobitz with a cps3? I'm using a sync cleaner but not getting a usable image.
I don't have any experience with the Neobitz, but I have used JROK's before... In addition to the sync stripping you may also need a sync pulse generator.
Seems funny to me you would need this with a CPS3, because I didn't. Mostly the problem boards for me are from the early 90's, Super Buster Bros. (Super Pang) for example.

What sync cleaner are you using? If it is the one that is normally sold aside with the JROK Video encoders. They normally have two LEDs on them. One is for Power (5v) (Red) and the other shows you if you have Sync (green) signal. If my boards are acting up and do not give an imagine on screen. I will look at the Sync cleaner to see if it's Green LED is lite.

Now granted if you are finding that ALL of your voltage levels are good to go. Then just maybe I would kind of lean towards the cart. However, normally CPS3s are pretty touchy on voltage levels. You may need to adjust your levels if you have the ability.

yeah a jrok sync cleaner, both power and sync are lit.

I am using atx, so not sure if I can do anything about voltage, but it's a brand new gold....

Back