What's new

mikebrandt

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi folks,
just got myself a ringedge which CMOS battery was dead. tried to boot up resulted in a stand by led (i suppose) lighting up on mobo and nothing else, no fan turning on or whatever... Replaced the CMOS battery and switched CMOS Jumper next to it as suggested by an other user which had similar problems after removing the battery. No luck there too. I swapped the PSU with a known working one and same thing, just a stand by led. Same goes to trying to boot up without geforce plugged to mobo. Before i dive into ram/ processor diagnose, i'd like to know if there's something obvious i missed on the way?

Best regards,
Mike

Actually that CMOS jumper is something of a red herring. It threw me off at first too. The actual jumper you need to bridge is in the upper right corner of the mobo.

I will post a picture later when I'm not on my cell phone.

When the battery dies you will need to move the a jumper to another location, boot, shutdown, move jumper back and reboot.
The procedure is in the manual of some, or all the ringedge games.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with it as long as your voltages are still OK. Though if you'd rather do it now, in case this info starts to disappear again, go for it.
Once you know which pins to bridge it's a 5 minute procedure. The hardest part was actually having to wait for the CR2450 battery to arrive, since it's a somewhat uncommon size.

lR6D7Ft.jpg

Got lucky and found a couple of these at Target a couple of towns over so was able to pick them up, almost none of my local brick & mortar places carry them.

IMG_5164.jpg

Got lucky and found a couple of these at Target a couple of towns over so was able to pick them up, almost none of my local brick & mortar places carry them.

IMG_5164.jpg
BestBuy has them as well that is where I got mine. (got the last one on the shelf a few months ago)

Thanks, i now have some life on the motherboard but when i put the jumper back to the initial position it is still stuck in stand by.
here is what i did:
  1. replaced CR 2450 aka "the big baby"
  2. moved the switch to the position shown on step 8
  3. powered up: fan starts spining for a few seconds then spining stops
  4. unplugged system from power
  5. put back the jumper to its original position
  6. power the unit back
  7. stuck into stand by again (on board led on but no fan spining)
Is the sequence ok?

Best regards and thanks again for the scan :)

I take it you removed the GPU, as per step 6 in the scan? I can't remember if it was really necessary, but it can't hurt to try.

Also, are your ram sticks seated correctly?

Hmm. Sounds like something else is going on. If you have another working unit swap out the 3 components (ram/gpu/cpu) to see if it will boot, try ram and gpu first since they are easy. Also, dont forget to apply new thermal paste on the cpu. Also what game drive are you using? Some units are picky as to what sata port you use for the boot/game drive.

When I first got mine assembled it had the same issue you are describing. What I did was connect a pc power switch to the front panel and power cycle it a couple of times using the switch which did the trick. (it will auto clear the corrupt cmos settings after a couple of failed posts like any other pc motherboard) Eventually the system will boot and you will be asked to enter the bios to set the date and time. Simply reset it again and the message will go away. You can then set the date and time in the test menu.

The board follows intel's standard front panel pinout https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/images/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/fp_header.jpg You are interested in pins 6 and 8. If the system is turned on and not outputting video long press the switch to turn it off without unplugging it from the wall.

Thanks for all your answers.
Did some more tests with a switch plugged onto 6-8 pins(thanks for the trick;) ) (without jumper on initial position), made it to boot without video. (output DVI0 on geforce).
unplugged power outlet
plugged the jumper back to initial position an it did turn on (no video) , and i was granted with 4 bips.
restarted the system, no bips but no video (2 leds on and fan working)
left it for one hour, tried on an other monitor, 4 bips at each start but no output.

Bid the whole stuff again and now with jumper at initial position, fans starts spinning but shut down after a few seconds, then starts back like it it wanted to starts but reboots

Do i have to do the whole stuff without geforce as suggested? My guess was the manual put this step in order to have more room to replace the battery....
Concerning my drive it's a TDK RS2.

I guess you're right about having to remove the GPU just to give you a little more room. If you follow the sequence from the manual, you're supposed to do steps 1-6 in reverse order, once you've set the jumper as described in step 8.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 4 beeps usually point to faulty ram? You might want to try removing the ram stick in slot 0 and put it into slot 1.

Last edited:
You can use a regular GPU for troubleshooting issues with post. The bios splash screen will display on a third party card. You will however have to use an authentic gpu to run the game.

If I am not mistaken the ringedge runs american megatrends bios and 4 beep codes could indeed indicate an issue with the memory. https://www.lifewire.com/amibios-beep-codes-2624543

You are in luck though as you can use almost any stick of the same type and capacity and it should work just fine. (ringedge 1 is some variant of ddr2 I believe) you just want to avoid using ecc server memory because that is incompatible and will not work. Sometimes the good deals on memory online are for ecc ram so if you have to buy it double check before you waste your money.

I'm back with some interessting tests:
i did replace original ram with a working one i had in stock :1GB 6400U

when i put the mobo jumper on pin 6-8 and put the power, fan spins for a few seconds then stops and that's it
with original ram in the same settings, fan spins a few seconds, stops , then spins again a few seconds and that scheme is repeated until i plug the power off.
Could you tell me what's the expected behaviour?
And on an other note, concerning switch trick, what kind of switch are you using? a on off one? a normaly open pulse one? normaly closed pulse one? during this trick session, can you confirm no jumper is left on the FP port?
what i don't get too is if in the 6-8 pin poistion, mobo is supposed to boot and output video.
Thanks for your kind help , i really appreciate it. :)

Here is the english manual regarding battery replacement. Hope it helps.

Binder1_Page_1.jpg
Binder1_Page_2.jpg
Binder1_Page_3.jpg

thanks, i saw that on virtua tennis 4. I already followed that but no luck :(
Them you have something else faulty most likely. I have done this on a few RE units already because I wanted to swap out the batteries for fresh ones so its worked every time without issues.

Do you have a working unit you can swap parts from?

Talking about VT4, I want to get that cab, even if it looks like a giant iphone :D

sadly not (and it shows ;) )! but i got it working yesterday with the 4 bips thingy, in normal position, it was firing up but gave me the 4 bips.I wanna get to that at least to be able to test ram and stuff. I'm sure i'm doing something bad in the reset process, hope Portholio comes around and give me more details on switch he used.

It was just an atx soft power switch from an old pc case, nothing special. Something like this
039350 (1).jpg

You can also test the video card, memory, and even cpu in a desktop computer motherboard if you have one that is compatible to help narrow down the issue provided you still have socket 775 junk pcs laying around.

Back