What's new

24movements

Student
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an interesting problem with my D9200, that I've tried what i can to look up, but to know avail. I'm not even sure what to call this problem.

In the middle of the monitor there's this odd, slow, liquidy, upward waving.

When I bought this monitor, I was told the caps were recently changed (piece of tape noted the date done), and it had some small flyback issues, but I've replaced it. The previous owner didn't want to deal with tracking down the issue after changing all the caps out, but I'm still determined.

I'm willing to go back in and see if there are any cold/broken solder joints, but before I rip it apart to look, I wanna know what you all think about it.

Note: It's mostly noticeable on white/bright screens, during normal play, it's nearly invisible.
u3DE0Dq.jpg
e59C17E.jpg
02QR3ze.jpg

Was the filter cap changed, or did the skip out on it to save a few bucks?

B+ good?

If both yes I have no ideas other than yanking and physical examination.

Was the filter cap changed, or did the skip out on it to save a few bucks?

B+ good?

If both yes I have no ideas other than yanking and physical examination.
I'm not sure about either, but it gives me a place to start.

Also, I'm not sure how one would check B+ any links to help?

A few places say it should be 170v. So I'll shoot for that.

Thank you! I'll keep you guys updated.

Update:

I'm still seeking out cold joints. It looks like all the caps are in good shape (no bulging or leaking) but i'm noticing all these white boxes have this dark almost burnt looking build up under them. What are they and Is that just burnt glue or something? Also there's more that look like these pictures.
AuFZdpq.jpg
PhHiv3d.jpg

They're ceramic resistors and highly unlikely to be an issue unless they're cracked. The burnt stuff is likely from something else, but those resistors can get pretty hot.

that is just old adhesive

if you disconnect the video signal do you still see the wave?
I actually didn't try that yet. I've taken the chassis out to give it a once over for broken solder. I'm still taking a while to look over it all.

I'm thinking that it may not have to do with the signal because the cabinet this crt lives in has two monitors, and when the input wires are switched, each monitor has their same image quality. (or mayhapse that's not exactly what you're suggesting.)

So, I had a slightly similar situation with a Sharp Image chassis I recapped lately. It is a chassis I can’t seem to place the model number of, but it is medium resolution and uses the same tube as the D9200. I thought it was based on a Wei-Ya C2929, but I ordered a cap kit for it and almost none of the caps were the same.

So I went through the chassis and put together a list and ordered individually all the caps I thought I needed. While waiting for the caps to arrive I decided to replace a small batch of larger power supply caps that I happened to have that were the same uf rating, but had a higher voltage tolerance (usually this is fine as long as the voltage is higher but the uf is the same.) Once all the rest of the caps arrived I replaced those. Once I powered it on I noticed there was a pronounced wave running vertically up the screen that was most pronounced on dark images. It looked almost like a slow EKG heart rate monitor, but without the bright dot. I went over my work again and again but couldn’t find any mistakes. So I ordered the 2/3 caps I had replaced with different specs, and installed them... problem was gone!

So, perhaps the person who did the cap kit on your monitor used out of spec caps in a couple places? Could be worth checking the larger caps against a cap list to see if they match?

Best of luck!

So, I had a slightly similar situation with a Sharp Image chassis I recapped lately. It is a chassis I can’t seem to place the model number of, but it is medium resolution and uses the same tube as the D9200. I thought it was based on a Wei-Ya C2929, but I ordered a cap kit for it and almost none of the caps were the same.

So I went through the chassis and put together a list and ordered individually all the caps I thought I needed. While waiting for the caps to arrive I decided to replace a small batch of larger power supply caps that I happened to have that were the same uf rating, but had a higher voltage tolerance (usually this is fine as long as the voltage is higher but the uf is the same.) Once all the rest of the caps arrived I replaced those. Once I powered it on I noticed there was a pronounced wave running vertically up the screen that was most pronounced on dark images. It looked almost like a slow EKG heart rate monitor, but without the bright dot. I went over my work again and again but couldn’t find any mistakes. So I ordered the 2/3 caps I had replaced with different specs, and installed them... problem was gone!

So, perhaps the person who did the cap kit on your monitor used out of spec caps in a couple places? Could be worth checking the larger caps against a cap list to see if they match?

Best of luck!
I'll be sure to check that out. Are there places online that have the original cap kit list?

Also it's interesting it happens with you on dark images, and mine is light. evil twins perhaps?

There are a couple versions of the D9200 (D9202 and D9204) so you'll need to determine which version you have. Arcade Parts and Repair has two kits they say: "D9204 kit is for a chassis with C825 390uf and C826 390uf. If you have 220uf cap at C825 and 100uf at C826 then you need our other D9200 / D9202 Kit."

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/?s=D9200&post_type=product

There is a cap list here for a D9202 if that is the type you have: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=1131876

This got me thinking... could the person who recapped your chassis used the wrong kit? It may require more sleuthing.

There are a couple versions of the D9200 (D9202 and D9204) so you'll need to determine which version you have. Arcade Parts and Repair has two kits they say: "D9204 kit is for a chassis with C825 390uf and C826 390uf. If you have 220uf cap at C825 and 100uf at C826 then you need our other D9200 / D9202 Kit."

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/?s=D9200&post_type=product

There is a cap list here for a D9202 if that is the type you have: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=1131876
Going down the rabbit hole, I believe the sticker on the side reading "054A9202" tells me that It's the D9202, since others may read "054A9204"

From looking down the D9202 cap kit list, I've found 4 caps that don't have the same voltage in my chassis (they're slightly higher), So I'll order the more specific spec caps and see if that does anything for me.

So at long last I've got the new caps, but with them all installed, the issue still persists. I don't understand what to even call this issue. it makes it hard to do simple google searches.

I've also given it a visual look through the whole thing, and there doesn't seem to be any cracks in the solder anywhere.

The only thing I haven't done is properly check the B+, since I'm not 100% sure how to do that. If anyone assist or have any other ideas on how to fix this, i'd love to hear some.

Back