What's new
By the way, @invzim, I just got a Tri-sync helper and it has finally fixed my PFX troubles, so thanks for putting together a nice little kit.

If you yoke-swap with an MS9-29, you can run a PFX chassis on it, or an MS9-29 if you only want 15/24khz.

As is, though, that yoke isn't going to cooperate with the common tri-sync chassis, Going by impedance you might get a Wells-Gardner D9200/D9800 chassis cooperating with it.

Or, I wonder, if you could simply put a 0.1mH inductor in series with the horizontal deflection wiring, at the possible expense of width.

Anyway, your main obstacle with the Toshiba PF chassis is that the focus voltage doesn't seem quite high enough for the A68KJU96X and short of generating a new focus voltage (thousands of volts) I don't know how to solve that one.
Thanks for the info! The most important factor is that I have a spare that i can clean, recap and give some TLC. The chassis in my NNC is well used..... but works.... for now..

Score! Found a Toshiba PD 1843 chassis on ebay. Exactly the same chassis as I have in my NNC.
Bought it just to have a spare, but it got me thinking....

I still have access to a European Naomi Universal with a Nanao MS-2932-s chassis and a Toshiba A68KJU96X tube. Gorgeous burn free tube, but 31 Khz only. The plan is to buy a retro scaler from @invzim, but would be fun if this was a drop in replacement 8)

Would the Toshiba PD 1843 be a drop in replacement for the Nanao MS-2932-S or would the bastard explode and melt my face?

Tri-sync goodness in a burn free Naomi Universal would be sexytime....

Please chip in Master@'nem' and Master@'Hatsune Mike'
iirc that won’t work unless you swap yokes. The tube in there should have the same curvature as a ms9... you’d have to yoke swap with a ms9 yoke but you’d still have some focus issues with the PF chassis on a curved tube. Maybe @Hatsune Mike can chime in with a fix for the focus issues?

Personally, I just live with the focus issues, a toshiba PF trimode on a curved tube is mind blowing.

Nothing to do with the curvature, it is just the voltage not being right for the tube I'm sure.

If you have the Hitachi MS9-29 instead of the one with a Toshiba tube, it'll work great and focus just fine.

Just as a thought experiment... If I got a MS9 Yoke from ebay and performed a yoke swap on the Naomi universal tube. I could then use the existing convergence rings and hook up the tri sync chassis?
In case I found a Hitachi ms9-29 yoke, I could even focus the shit out of it?
This is some next level moddifications, but I have the tools to do it....
Tempting....
Personally, I just live with the focus issues, a toshiba PF trimode on a curved tube is mind blowing.
Got any pictures of this good sir?

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the curvature, it is just the voltage not being right for the tube I'm sure.

If you have the Hitachi MS9-29 instead of the one with a Toshiba tube, it'll work great and focus just fine.
Tips on how to spot a Hitachi MS29 yoke?

It's not the yoke, it's a whole different tube. It'll have a hitachi label on the tube.

Honestly, it's not a happy sight. It makes 15khz feel like your tube is extremely worn out and dull, while 31k is pretty sad and fuzzy. You will be much better off finding a Hitachi tube, or using a PFX alongside the myriad of sync fixing solutions for it.

Reactions: nem
I see. Sucks, but thanks for all the great info!

Just as a thought experiment... If I got a MS9 Yoke from ebay and performed a yoke swap on the Naomi universal tube. I could then use the existing convergence rings and hook up the tri sync chassis?
In case I found a Hitachi ms9-29 yoke, I could even focus the shit out of it?
This is some next level moddifications, but I have the tools to do it....
Tempting....
I’ll have some in the morning- it’s all a matter of preference but I prefer the 15k on the PF- looks a lot like the 15k on the Windy 1 toshiba chassis.

Looks good to me! This is with the standard Egret II MS9 tube by Toshiba?

PS. That’s a sexy Egret you got there! Looking sassy as fuuu@%#k!

Back