What's new

VWI

Student
Reaction score
Hello y'all this is Daniel Du Vall (VWI (VW Insanity) I am new to the retro arcade scene and glad to have found this forum. I have Many questions and will try and swim through all the forums first before asking too many of them.

Since I am new to this I figured I would start by looking for a SuperGun I have found a few but then found the ultimate one that is listed in the forums here by a gentleman from china I think. Should I just start with that or is there one that y'all recommend for starters like me.

Well look forward to interacting with y'all type at you soon.

Daniel Du Vall
:D

Howdy!

It's been many years since I owned a Supergun, so I'll let others chime in. I used to have a MAS one with the huge sticks.

A behemoth!

Others during that time frame were PANAs and SIGMAs but there are better options now.

Reactions: VWI
Welcome,

Generally speaking, there are 3 Superguns that the forum recommends, all with direct support from their creators in the linked threads:

1. The Minigun: Feature packed and open source DIY, meaning you'll have to have the skills to put it together yourself or find someone who can. Units do pop up on eBay, just make sure they're built well: Minigun Supergun - An Open Source Supergun

2. HAS (Home Arcade System): Very highly regarded by the community with lots of support. There's a waitlist on orders, so you'll have to be slightly patient: Home Arcade System

3. Axun Workshop Supergun: Very well built, all in one device with all the frills. Benefit of this is that everything is internalised, including the PSU and IO. It also features the ability to play not only JAMMA games, but JVS. The price is heavier, but the reviews for this newcomer to the scene have been stellar: Axun Workshop - JVS / JAMMA Control-Box(CBOX) SuperGun

Either one is a good choice. They all perform well, I suggest reading the threads and seeing what tickles your fancy and going on from there.

Hope that helps.

Units do pop up on eBay, just make sure they're built well: Minigun Supergun - An Open Source Supergun
like the ones i sell HA!
if you do decide to get a minigun I can help just PM me please dont use eBay I can pass the savings onto you. I have been selling a few DIY kits recently too, if you are willing to do some soldering, or a 1/2 DIY which means you just solder the easier through-hole stuff.

welcome to the forums :D I share your passion for old automobiles too ! nothing beats the sound of webers on an old engine.

along with a supergun you will need to get a power supply, some sort of controllers/joysticks and of course a nice CRT 15khz TV, or some sort of upscaler like an OSSC - if you want to play on a large modern TV. Depending on what you want, there is a huge amount of information available on this site, or to make it easier just ask for specifics and people are always happy to help.

Reactions: VWI
Geez. What a sales pitch!

Ya it may have come across like that but I am just trying to help a player out. When you first get into a new hobby and decide to throw money at it, everyone will want to take it and often hide the facts which you have to learn for yourself later on.

Anyway, @VWI watch out arcade stuff can get pricey ! The mister is an amazing piece of kit which may be of interest to you as well.

Sorry, might have come off harsh... @evilsim does good work, plus he throws $ back to the creator of the design, +1 for him.

Back