What's new
Last edited:
as in conversion vs original TGMTAP2. it's me being curious
It is exactly identical. It is the same board, and the data is 1:1 with the original.
This is like wondering if there's a difference between using a 1:1 burned copy of *insert playstation game here* vs an original.
while true , there's always inconsistencies tho. Especially with audio crackling , visuals etc

while true , there's always inconsistencies tho. Especially with audio crackling , visuals etc
I promise you there isn't. It's a 1:1 copy of the original, there won't be "inconsistencies". This is no different than Quiz Gakumon to Turtles in Time.

there's always inconsistencies tho. Especially with audio crackling , visuals etc
Psikyo manufactured the "PS5 V2" PCB for Dragon Blaze then they later changed the program code on the PCB for different games including G-Taste TGM2, and Gunbarich. All 4 games use 100% identical hardware, the only difference is the program code installed on the hardware.

What this conversion is doing is replacing the program code from G-Taste with the program code from an original TGM2. there is 0% difference in the hardware and 0% difference in the software. Literally the only difference between this conversion, and an original TGM2 PCB is the people that installed the code onto the hardware.

Saying that there are inconsistencies here would be like claiming your car runs different depending on whether or not you or someone else pumped the gas.

there's always inconsistencies tho. Especially with audio crackling , visuals etc
Psikyo manufactured the "PS5 V2" PCB for Dragon Blaze then they later changed the program code on the PCB for different games including G-Taste TGM2, and Gunbarich. All 4 games use 100% identical hardware, the only difference is the program code installed on the hardware.
What this conversion is doing is replacing the program code from G-Taste with the program code from an original TGM2. there is 0% difference in the hardware and 0% difference in the software. Literally the only difference between this conversion, and an original TGM2 PCB is the people that installed the code onto the hardware.

Saying that there are inconsistencies here would be like claiming your car runs different depending on whether or not you or someone else pumped the gas.
So....can a multi be made for it? :) Even if its those 3 titles only (not counting g-taste), they are still really good titles that are still a bit expensive.
Anyone know what the difference is between TTGM2 and Plus is? If any?

PS5 v2 game list:
Dragon Blaze
Tetris The Grand Master 2
Tetris The Grand Master 2 Plus
GunBarich
Mahjong G-Taste

Obviously a multi that would support the entire library would be awesome, but probably way too much work.

I've done a lot of research into it, which is what led me to contact @SnakeGrunger and ask him to look into making these ROM adapter boards

The problem with the PS5 V2 is that there's nothing for a multi to plug into it's all SMD roms so any multi would require a shit-load of hot-air work to remove dozens of ROMs and then you need some way to actually install the multi.

even just this conversion is a ton of work and a multi would likely be quite a bit more on top of that.

Yes, if you had a professional TGM2 GM use this board, he wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Here's a preview of the terrible solder sandwich I got myself into :

QQwEr7B.png

I've done a lot of research into it, which is what led me to contact @SnakeGrunger and ask him to look into making these ROM adapter boards

The problem with the PS5 V2 is that there's nothing for a multi to plug into it's all SMD roms so any multi would require a shit-load of hot-air work to remove dozens of ROMs and then you need some way to actually install the multi.

even just this conversion is a ton of work and a multi would likely be quite a bit more on top of that.
Agree, only way this would work if done would be to basically have someone perform the mod/install for you if you dont have the soldering skills for sure.

But still totally worth the money though, cause to buy those 3 games today, you are probably talking around $1500 easy I think, havent check prices recently..

Agree, only way this would work if done would be to basically have someone perform the mod/install for you if you dont have the soldering skills for sure.
People largely wouldn't go for that, decide they could try it on their own, and we'd have dozens of destroyed boards in the month.

Even this is going to lead to a lot of amateur attempts at getting TGM followed by "broken G-Taste for sale $200 idk what happened to it" posts.

People largely wouldn't go for that, decide they could try it on their own, and we'd have dozens of destroyed boards in the month.

Even this is going to lead to a lot of amateur attempts at getting TGM followed by "broken G-Taste for sale $200 idk what happened to it" posts.
Still for whoever makes a multi, either sell it with install services or sell with approved installer list or at install at your own risk. Like they do for console stuff for plenty of products, basically an approved installer list. So dont see why it wouldnt work, if the design is solid, no reason why it couldnt be professionally installed.

@Derick2k there's a massive difference in the amount of work here between like a GC HDMI mod (that's perhaps technically as difficult for at least the soldering) and this.

Over ten fold. You'd have to charge enough for installation that you may as well buy one of these boards.

@rewrite Yes .. removing all the SMD chips is hard without the proper tools, temperature control, and without ripping pads, and soldering so small footprints is also very hard, not creating shorts.
Totally agree, but needing to have a product professionally installed should not be a deterrent, if the product is verified working. I have sent plenty of stuff to Ken from irepairsega to have him professionally desolder/solder/modify. As long as he has all the parts, and a guide as to what he needs to do he has had zero problems doing complicated solder work for me. His solder work always looks like it was factory done, a lot of time better

Anywho, this is all wishful thinking on my part :D just saying it might be worth it for someone to make a multi for this. Cause lets say you had to pay $500-600 to get a multi and have it professional install, its still worth it, of course if you like the games.

@rewrite Yes .. removing all the SMD chips is hard without the proper tools, temperature control, and without ripping pads, and soldering so small footprints is also very hard, not creating shorts.
I've gotten pretty good at removing them, but soldering them takes me ages because I accidentally short them :(

glad you pointed this out, hopefully it dissuades some folks from attempting it. The smd roms on this generation psikyo mahjong board I had were glued on as well, and that glue didn’t release without a lot of heat. A heated bed helped but most probably don’t have one. The pitch on those weirdo tsop ii chips is very very fine, too, and after seeing your pcb-sandwich that’s just one more degree of difficulty. Nice work on it!

This is awesome!

I've thought about how to do a conversion on a G-Taste but lost motivation when I finally acquired a TGM2+ board lol

It seems like it could be possible to make an adapter that plugs into the DIP42 sockets and reroute the CE signals from the demultiplexer to reduce the amount of SMD rework required. Any thoughts on this approach?

Well, if it's out in the open then I can share this pic of how I did it a few years ago as a proof of concept:

Vz2vJn0.jpg

There aren't "always inconsistencies". You get audio crackle and graphics errors when a conversion or bootleg is crap (like the first wave of PGM conversion boots, or Neo xx-in-1 carts, etc). Signal levels are happy, control signals are happy, game code is happy, in a case like this.

I had mine half finished years ago, but I shelved it until I felt like going back and soldering each pin of a sop-44 on to each pad. I've been consumed by work since then so I haven't touched any project. I'm interested in a couple of these if you sell.

Back